CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Saddest/most depressing theatre experience (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Saddest/most depressing theatre experience
Steven Rood

- posted December 28, 2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Steven Rood   Email Steven Rood         Edit/Delete Post 
What's yours?

While visiting my folks in Delray Beach Florida, i went to see Harry Potter at the UA theatre on Congress Street in Boynton Beach:

United Artists Theatres
Movies 9 at Boynton Beach
244 N Congress Ave
(561) 736-5770

It must have been the most depressing theatre i've been to in a long time or possibly ever.

Went to see a 7:15p showing on a Tuesday night and i was one of 5 people in the theatre. Now i'll admit that HP had been out for a bit and it was a Tuesday, but i think i counted maybe, maybe 20 other people in the building, the WHOLE building, not just my movie theatre. I got there a little early and was able to look in the other 8 theaters and saw them just about empty.

The concession area had 1 girl chatting on a cell phone behind the counter and making popcorn. The other 2/3rds of the concessions was bare and dark. They had a few old arcade games in the lobby, nothing current.

When i walked into the movie theatre to get my seat, i was immediately hit with that smell you get when you check into one of those independently owned motels off the freeway. You know, the room is clean, but it has that sterile, cleaning solution aroma. It was very depressing. You know they tried to make the place nice like the more expensive places, but they over do it.

The speakers behind the screen were blown out so any underlying music played during the film sounded muddy.

And of course, the screen had a scratch or tear in the center of the screen which just added to the experience.

I know the UA is an old theatre but i've been in lots of old theatres and i've never felt as depressed as i did when i sat down in the bumpy flat seats. (I tried several, hoping to find one with the foam not desintergrated, but no luck).

I just felt bad for the cinema.

Stevo

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted January 05, 2006 07:46 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
1. As a kid going to a re-release of Star Wars at the old Narrows theatre in Tacoma, WA and having the print break during the opening crawl.
2. Seeing Star Wars Episodes I, II, III and wondering what happened to the magic.
3. Seeing X-Men 2 at the Loews Cineplex Broadway in Santa Monica. Those Cineplex Odeon painted grey walls and dimmed strip lights around the auditorium do wonders for reflecting light a making the screen seem hazy during presentation. Might as well just leave all the lights on.
4. Having paid good money to see Batman and Robin, Pearl Harbor, Beverly Hills Cop III, Superman IV, Jaws: the Revenge, The Rock, and Speed 2!!!

Steven Rood

- posted February 28, 2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Steven Rood   Email Steven Rood         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this was a new one to me.

I've been in the old Cineplex Odeon Fairfax theatre on Beverly Blvd. in LA before. I know its a discount type of theatre and i've seen movies there some years ago for $1.99. So, my expectations weren't that high when i went last night to the now owned Laemmle Fairfax Theatre to see the Nominated animated and live action short films.

The place was clean and not very busy but the audience gets TWO extra special attractions when seeing a movie in all their theatres (well at least on days like yesterday).

While sitting in the theatre and watching your movie, you can swear that you can hear the pitter patter of falling rain. Now some of you may believe its because of the amazing digital sound system they've installed (they haven't) but rather more like the roof leaks horribly and rain falls on you periodically and you can hear the drops landing on the ground throughout the theatre. Now this could be really cool if any of the films were of the 3d kind or at least had a rain or shower scene in them. But alas, only one animated short did and it was for just a moment.

All the patrons took it in stride and just switched seats if they found themselves directly in the line of fire.

Stevo

Bill Gabel

- posted February 28, 2006 02:51 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The saddest and depressing experience was at the UA Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood(main house), during it's last days of operation. The Egyptian twins were a piece of crap from day one.
This once majestic theatre was running budget admission and running crap till it closed.

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 02, 2006 04:03 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much negative theatre going experiences, but sad for personal reasons:

Anytime I visit the AMC Fullerton 20 (hardly ever these days), it's a sad experience. My first management position was at this location, when it was a ten plex, and I have many fond memories. Unfortunately, shortly after the expansion to twenty, the original theatre (the complex consists of seperate, parallel structures, the orginal ten and 97' stadium addition) became known as the "bad" or "crappy" side by patrons and AMC allowed the non stadium side to decline.

Seeing the original theatre neglected and shunned is quite depressing for me, as I recall the days when it was a popular and first rate operation. The last time I attended a film there, I sat with a handful of disgruntled customers, who wished they were on the stadium side, in a dingy auditorium that had a strong unpleasant odor and heavily scratched print. I couldn't help but remember that same auditorium hosting sold out showings, for the likes of "Twister" and "Independance Day", under much more pleasant circumstances.

Equally sad, the first two theatres I worked at as a staff member are now a vacant shell and parking lot. Nothing quite like parking your car on the former site of countless teenage memories.

I'm no sure which is more depressing, seeing my theatre past erased or seeing it a shadow of what it once was.

John J. Fink

- posted March 04, 2006 12:12 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
The other night I went to the Showcase Cinemas in East Hartford, CT to see Taxi 9211 (a Bollywood movie) and found the second to the last and third to the last reels out of order. The film conclues (unsatisfactory) and I thought to myself "well that wasn't a very good movie, what happened to the other guy" - then there were a few credits, a music number and then the film went back to the narative - for 20 minutes. Finally the reel swhiched over to the end of the music number and the scrolling credits. That was a weird and sort of depressing time at the movies.

Ron Newman

- posted March 04, 2006 12:56 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you got your money back on that one! Did other members of the audience notice and complain?

John J. Fink

- posted March 04, 2006 09:39 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Weirdly nobody noticed - my guess is that as soon as they saw the credits and that music number they left, puzzled and probably on the drive home thought "wow, I don't get it". The theater was empty of staff members when I left (I waited around in the lobby for a few minutes and saw no one aside from other customers) but the next day I called to inform the management.

Jeff Arellano

- posted March 05, 2006 10:26 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The interesing thing with Bollywood films is that they are really poorly labeled in the first place. We used to have Bollywood films at AMC Covina for a time, and we had an employee's family of ours who was Indian screen them. They would tell us all the problems with the reels. I dont think we ever had one where two reels were incorrect.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 09, 2006 01:16 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Finding out that Mann might not renew their lease on the National in Westwood...

Bobby Richardson

- posted May 05, 2006 03:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Richardson           Edit/Delete Post 
Watching my dad close the door to the theater he helped build when a larger corporate monster came in town. [Shrug] saddly that's life.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted May 05, 2006 08:33 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching "Wayne's World" at the Mason City (IA) Drive-In on a beautiful evening with four other cars on the lot...counting the employee cars.

Brad Erickson

- posted May 15, 2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC AVCO to see CHICAGO. I went there instead of Arclight because of a time restraint. The AVCO has lost the lustre that in had in the 70's and 80's. The sound and picture quality is just dreadful and seeing a film in the lower (Once Big Screen) theatres are always a awkward experience. The remodel does not fit and I can never get comfortable. I went a week later to Arclight (like I should have originally) to see CHICAGO correctly. The AVCO should close instead of the National, I'll never go there again.

Spike Spiegel

- posted June 27, 2006 07:46 PM      Profile for Spike Spiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Spike Spiegel         Edit/Delete Post 
The last night of the great Newington Theater, it felt like a wake. The final show was Bugs Life, I forgot the other and I think it sucked. That night I felt so sad, there were so many memories, and I was so mad at those boys for closing it.

Oh yeah and the deteriorating Hartford Drive-In was put to sleep yesterday.

[ July 06, 2006, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Spike Spiegel ]

Andrew Peter Chobaniuk

- posted July 13, 2006 04:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Peter Chobaniuk         Edit/Delete Post 
id have to say the most ugly depressing theatre ive visited was Eagle Ridge in Coquitliam, BC
Run by Famous Players, it has fallen into disrepair following the opening of Silvercity Coquitliam about 10 minutes away by car. it has a tacky single aisle configuration, with ugly orange railings at the front of the cinemas. the booth looks like a bombs gone off. the concession looks worthy of a trailer park kitchen.

When i visited iwas under the impression that the theatre i work at was slightly "ghetto" but compared to Eagle Ridge, Esplanade 6 is Heaven, especially since our new owner (Empire Theatres) is actualy spending money to improve the place, Famous would have never done that

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.