CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » My Trip to Seattle: Attention Seattle Area Folks (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My Trip to Seattle: Attention Seattle Area Folks
Chris Utley

- posted January 02, 2006 06:59 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Back from Seattle. Not only did I make it to the Cinerama, I went to the Egyptian as well (a few of us had later flights when the conference was over so we headed over there).

Cinerama: WOW! Truly one of the greatest theatres I've ever seen. I was amazed and astounded!

Egyptian: Very nice old school place with immaculate decor. I truly did enjoy myself.

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 04, 2006 06:26 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you just say you were astounded by the Cinerama???

I'm sure it's great and all but it really doesn't look like the sort of place that can astound [Razz]

Mark Campbell

- posted January 05, 2006 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I have to side with Chris with this one Scott. Paul Allen poured millions into this theatre to restore and update it as his own personal 60's movie palace with the best in presentation technology. This jewel was his gift to Seattle. The theatre, under Cineplex Odeon management, had been run down and shuttered because of the crappy Meridian 16 (which, luckily, AMC/Loews chose to sell under anti-trust agrreements over the decent ex-GCC Pacific Place 11). At one point the Cinerama had been destined to be turned into an indoor rock climbing club. What better thing for a billionaire to do than to rescue it? Here is what a movie geek Paul Allen is: When I was a a recent 3-Strip showing of "How The West Was Won" at the Cinerama Dome in LA, the projectionist told us during a tour of the booth (why the heck didn't I have my camera!!!) that it was Paul Allen's personal print that he owned and had paid to restore. Pacific, which owns the Cinerama Process, borrowed the print from Allen. Not even the studio owns the print! Too bad Paul Allen could not rescue the UA 150 and the Southcenter theatres in Seattle as well. Personally, for kicks I would restore some old GCC I-II-III to its original shadowbox and corrugated metal "glory".
I'm rambling...
Chris, glad you enjoyed the Egyptian too. One of the best movie-going experiences I had ever was seeing a pristine 70MM print of "Baraka" there during the Seattle International Film Festival in 1992 or 1993. The film was later released at the same theatre, but the Samual Goldwyn 70MM print was noticeably not-as-good.
I'm rambling again! Gotta catch a plane...

Chris Utley

- posted January 05, 2006 11:57 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Mark said, the Cinerama is the crown jewel of Seattle. Even though I'd seen "Narnia" before, seeing it there was like seeing it for the first time.

Dan Roben

- posted January 05, 2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Until you've set foot in the Cinerama, nobody really has no idea just how amazing this theater is. Photos simply do not give it justice.

Chris (and anyone else out there), to really experience the Cinerama, you'd want to visit when the theater hosts its semi-annual Cinerama/Wide Screen Film Festival. During the week-long event, the "regular" screen is dismantled, unmasking the great 90'x 30' 46 degree curved Cinerama screen behind it.

In the Spring of 2004, lucky audiences were treated to three-panel screenings of "This Is Cinerama," "How the West Was Won," and extremely rare showings of "Cinerama's Search for Paradise" (a real hoot!) and AFAIK, the only existing print of Cinemiricle's "Windmammer" (Cinemiricle being a Cinerama knock-off). True, the print was almost totally faded and the three projectionists really sweated through the showing, but just the fact that I was able to see it was more than good enough for me.

In addition, we were treated to 70MM prints of "Lawrence of Arabia," "Oklahoma," "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," "2001" and others.

I haven't heard if there will be a festival this year, but I will post information here as soon as it's announced.

Chris Utley

- posted January 06, 2006 08:43 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
In LA, we were expecting Pacific/Arclight to have a similar kind of film series at the Cinerama Dome. But they haven't. Since the Dome has reopened, the only traces of Cinerama or 70MM have been 2 runs of "This Is Cinerama", 2 runs of "How The West Was Won", and 1 run of "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World". That's all. They do have a couple of film classic series that they run regularly in their adjoining multiplex. But they RARELY ever show those films in the Dome.

Pathetic!!!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.