CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » What is the worst theatre split you have seen? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What is the worst theatre split you have seen?
Jeff Arellano

- posted September 15, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are Regency.
And while at it, get some of the AMC in the mall!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted September 15, 2005 09:47 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC that was former GCC...(90's era?)

"GCC...GCC...GCC...GCC...GCC...GCC...GCC.....wow Scott Neff really did appear! Funny, he looks taller online..."

Steven Rood

- posted September 15, 2005 10:55 PM      Profile for Steven Rood   Email Steven Rood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if the Warwick Theatre in my hometown of Marblehead Ma (now closed) was ever split. But thinking back, i'm very suspect as each of the two theatres were rather thin and long and you could easily hear the sound from the next theatre. I must have first gone to that theatre in 71 or 72 as a 6 year old and don't ever remember it being one theatre.

Btw, i did take pictures of the exterior after it was closed but they still haven't been posted on the web page. [Confused] So sad, too bad.

stevo

Bill Gabel

- posted September 17, 2005 11:29 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The GCC Avco Center main house was really a bad split. How about the old GCC South Bay Theatres 4 & 5. It was once a large 1000+ seat theatre. It's like spliting the Edward's Big Newport Beach in half. Or what about what Cineplex did to the old Plitt Century Plaza Theatres, old main house (1400 seats). The tri-plexed the house. I've worked the Avco, South Bay and the Century Plaza all in their original houses and then after the conversions. There was nothing like the original setups, they were all fun to run.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 17, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I haven't been lucky enough to find an AMC manager that doesn't immediately think I'm up to no good when I approach them and ask permission to photograph. So you'll find that's what there are fewer AMC tours on this site than others, because to get decent AMC pics you have to pay to see a movie, and then sneak shots whenever you can. The bad part about that is auditorium photos come out blurry and dark cause you don't have the luxury of a tripod.

But yeah -- I'll give Regency a whirl. They were very helpful when I wanted to get pics of the Lido Theatre - Newport Beach, CA I just haven't had the desire to drive all over the L.A. area lately.

As far as Century Plaza went -- I thought it was interesting how they did the split, but it was clear that they butchered a beautiful old theatre.

Eric Hooper

- posted September 17, 2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
I 'lived' at both the GCC Southland and GCC Hillsdale cinemas. These were my usual theatres to see movies at.

Hillsdale was one screen carved into 4, much like the main auditorium of the UA Berkeley, with a hallway leading down to the #2 and #3 auditoriums. Projection booths were built on the backside of screens #1 and #4 to project into 2 and 3, and there was a fire escape ladder from the booths down into the auditoriums.

Southland was originally 2 GIGANTIC auditoriums, with the first split into #1 & #2, and the second split into #3, #4, and #5. The result was #1 and #2 were the long narrow GCC auditoriums everyone else is talking about, much like the Stonestown Theatre in SF. (That theatre was twinned in the exact same way, by just putting a wall down the center.) #3, #4, and #5 were set up with the "projection barrel" Scott mentions into #4 and a long hallway leading down the middle to #4, with #3 and #5 on both sides of the hallway.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 17, 2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Century Plaza the weekend it closed (I had to suffer through "The League if Extrordinary Gentleman". It was the only movie playing on screen 1. Screens 2-4 were closed already. I was able to wander around the theatre though and take some photos of both large auditoriums and one of the small ones. I sent the photos to Cinematour over a year ago. They might have been rejected. They are poorly lit, but you can still make out the features quite well. I wonder if I should resubmit?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted September 17, 2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sweet Jesus, if you haven't seen the photos of the Stonestown Theatre, you must look right now. The wall was built down the center and the seats were never re-arranged. It's fantastic!

Mark, resubmit those photos to the newsroom. I don't see them in the inbox anywhere.

Tom Mundell

- posted September 17, 2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chestnut Hill 5 (a former GCC) in MA is still open; auditoriums #2 and #3 are rather narrow and long due to the split. For reasons I can't figure out, the hallway on the left leads to #2, #3, and #4 while the hallway on the right leads to #1 and #5; I haven't been able to figure out why they didn't renumber the theaters so 1,2,3 were on the left and 4,5 on the right which seems like it would make more sense.

Loews (originally GCC) Fresh Pond theater is also still open; this (somehow) got divided into 10 screens!

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 17, 2005 10:36 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an idea of how they split it:

There are three upstairs auditoriums that have decent sound and medium-size screens. All the auditoriums on the lower level are small, poorly laid-out rooms with tiny screens and lackluster sound systems. Considering the fact that you have to tolerate an extremely congested area and navigate a traffic rotary that is nicknamed "The Cuisinart," you will probably want to avoid this movie house at all costs -- unless it is your only option.

7 downstairs, 3 upstairs. Someone needs to go there and get pictures before AMC takes over and closes it!

Mark Campbell

- posted September 17, 2005 11:01 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great if someone could get some pictures of the interior or the Chestnut Hill 5. All the old GCC houses in the Seattle area kept at least one origial auditorium intact. I never heard of of all of 'em getting split. Amazing that a split auditorium ended up THX Certified. Wait! Both the splits at the Avco in Westwood are THX. Lopsided seating and all!

Dan Roben

- posted September 17, 2005 11:30 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
The Everett Mall 3 in Everett, WA was opened by GCC in 1973, and is still open as a Regal moveover house. The unique thing about this complex is that except for the replacement of seats a few years ago, nothing has changed. It was built as a triplex, and yes, the two theatres to the left of the concession stand are long and narrow. The "large" theatre to the right is like a larger version of the small houses, just slightly wider.

For Seattle GCC aficianados, it's the last of the orginal builds still open. But you better hurry if you want to check it out. Regal is building a new 16 plex at the mall, and this theatre will surely close and be gutted. Their Everett 9 complex may also close, though this has not yet been determined. That would be a shame as the Everett 9 (orginally built by Act 3) is a well-designed early 90s complex (thankfully without the hated stadium seating!)

Daniel Fuentz

- posted September 18, 2005 12:47 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
The way the Stonestown was split is exactly the way the old Manchester Mall theater was split, you had to sit at the back of the theater unless you wanted to look at the wall. The walls at the Manchester Mall cinema were nothing worth looking at -- they were that awful corrugated metal. UA did very little to this theater from the time they bought it from GCC -- it had that GCC standard "CINEMA" sign on top until the late 80's.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 18, 2005 09:41 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I am really suprised AMC didnt close the Chestnut Hill when they merged. I heard it still does great business from locals. Boston isnt a driving town, so a neighborhood theatre is still just that.

I still like the AVCO. I was too young to remember it before the splits, but I go there on occasion (parking there is shit).

Mark Campbell

- posted September 18, 2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dan, any chance you or any Seattle area members can get pictures of the interior of the Everett Mall I-II-III? There is an exterior photo posted that will make Scott Neff turn to jelly (A GCC "Cinema" sign indoors!)

http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=11796

When AMC took over GCC they only held onto this theatre and freestanding 4-10 briefly. After shuttering both, Regal opened 1-3 back up (4-10 was torn down), I guess to gain a foothold at the mall and have monopoly in Everett with their Everett 9 a short distance away. I hope they don't close the Everett 9. Act III built some nice all THX theatres in the area in the 90's. I used to requent the Mountlake 9 (a clone of the Everett 9) when I lived in Seattle. Always top-notch presentation. I think Regal has since dumped the THX at all these theatres. Glad to hear someone else out there hates stadium theatres too!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.