CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » What is the worst theatre split you have seen? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What is the worst theatre split you have seen?
Mark Campbell

- posted September 19, 2005 07:02 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
The one time I was at the Everett Mall it had the GCC '80's/'90's makeover with the dark lighting, the red speakerboxes and panelling on the walls, and the grey plastic seats with blue cushions. What this nostolgia showing of the GCC should feature is the corrugated metal panelling on the walls and the light box screen (something also missing from the Everett Mall.)

|  IP: Logged

Dave Felthous

- posted September 19, 2005 08:57 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Everett Mall I-II-III will close next summer when Regal opens a new 16 nearby. Regal will also vacate their Everett 9 a few blocks away.

The two small houses at I-II-II were always dreadful. The large house wasn't bad if you sat close enough so the screen had some impact. The left and right speakers were outside the screen permieter because the original construction left just a small chamber center screen for a single speaker. The stereo effect was disorienting; you saw what happened on the screen but the sound came several feet away.

All three auditoriums suffered from nearly flat floors, too. I was a checker for GCC in the late 80s and early 90s and complained constantly about the lack of stereo in Everett Mall II, III, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. (The newer house used arabic numbers). Their solution: they fired me!

Mark Campbell

- posted September 19, 2005 09:29 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad about the Everett 9. I liked all the Act III builds. I think this theatre was the first in the Seattle area with all THX.

Dan Roben

- posted September 20, 2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
How could I have forgotten about the metal walls????

The "lightbox" screen described above was never installed at the Everett Mall I II III. As far as I know, the only GCC house in the Seattle market to have that 'unique' feature was the old Renton Village I II (later I II III...surprise!), long since torn down and replaced with the current 8-plex.

Dave, it's a shame that Regal is vacating the Everett 9. It's a great former Act III house with wonderful sightlines (without the dreaded stadium seating). Does Regal have any clause in their sales contract that would prevent another theatre operator from moving in, such as the dreaded Cineplex Odeon clause that forbid new owners from operating the building as a theatre? It would make a hell of a great 2nd run house, though I'm not knowledgable enough to know if that would be financially feasible.

Mark Campbell

- posted September 20, 2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, the Villa Plaza Cinema I-II-III in Tacoma/Lakewood that expired in 1988 also had the light box screen in the non-split house. The Villa Plaza and the old Renton Village I-II-III were identical. The Aurora I-II-III in Seattle and the Overlake I-II-III in Bellevue were each unique builds to the Seattle area. (and a bit smaller in scale than Villa and Aurora). Note on all these theatres: In 1983 all these GCC theatres had exclusive Return of the Jedi bookings for the Seattle area. The only 2 exceptions I know are the UA 150 downtown (70mm) and the AMC Ceter Plaza 6 in Federal Way. I believe GCC installed Dolby to get the bookings. So if you lived in the Seattle area then, chances are you saw it at one of these theatres. (GCC got most 20th and Universal releases at that time).

Eric Hooper

- posted September 21, 2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing from my post earlier RE metallic walls...

At the Southland, the grey metallic walls were painted the dark red and the blue seats were installed when it was 'remodeled' in the early '90's.

Hillsdale was never remodled, and had the metal white seats with the red cushions, and the metallic grey walls up until it closed in 1998.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted September 21, 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, sweet Jesus, if you haven't seen the photos of the Stonestown Theatre, you must look right now. The wall was built down the center and the seats were never re-arranged. It's fantastic!
The Coliseum Twin in Sitka, Alaska was like that as well.

I saw one movie there (Lords of Discipline, 1983...I think it was 1984 by the time THEY got it though). I was sitting by the added wall, and I felt like I had to lean right to see the whole screen. I can't remember if it was sort of an optical illusion because of the seats and maybe an off-center screen placement, but I WANT to say that whole room curved into the left slightly.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 24, 2005 12:31 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if the Santa Fe Springs 3 was ever a solo screener? It looks like it could have. i dont know what year it opened or anything, I know Mann ran the 8-plex across teh street in the mall, but this 3-screener looks like it may have been at one point a single screener.

You can look at it in google maps/earth:
13469 East Telegraph Road , Santa Fe Springs.

It still shows first run movies too. It looks like it could have been an early mann theatre.

Scott Shepard

- posted November 28, 2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Scott Shepard           Edit/Delete Post 
The Tri-Plex you mention in Santa Fe Springs was run by Pacific Theatres back in 1985. I believe it was built with 3 screens originally. Mann Theatres never ran that location.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 28, 2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know. Didnt realize it was Pacific.

Mann definitely ran the 8-plex that was across the street. That is now a LA Fitness center.

Bill Gabel

- posted January 09, 2006 09:31 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Three other poorly split theatres in Southern California were the old California Theatre in Huntington Park (tri-plexed) and the old Culver Theatre in Culver City (tri-plexed) and the Highland Park (tri-plexed).

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 09, 2006 11:57 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Were the splits at the Pacific and Egyptian in Hollywood horrible as well?

Bill Gabel

- posted January 09, 2006 04:15 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Hollywood Pacific Theatre was cut up into three theatres a nice 1200 seat main theatre and two 500 seat theatres in the former balcony. The balcony theatres were okay, but the seats were redone in theatre number #2 (the right side house)Not as comfortable as #3 (left side). The main house was 70MM equipped as was theatre #3.
The Egyptian Theatre was not plexed, it was still a large 1200+ seat theatre with about a 90 foot D-150 screen when it was closed by United Artists Theatres. United Artists Theatres converted a store into the Egyptian 2 & 3 Theatres. Those theatres were to the left of the main house near the parking lots on La Palmas. They were move-over houses for the Egyptian. They were only 35mm/mono equipped and the true dump theatre at the time on Hollywood Blvd..
At the time the Vine Theatre was operated and maintained by Pacific Theatres. The World Theatre was the last stop on Hollywood Blvd. for films at on time.
Today the Vine Theatre holds the title of the dive on Hollywood Blvd..

You can see what the Egyptian Theatre looked like during it's final days, before it was saved and converted into the new Egyptian Theatre of today. It was used as a location in the film "Jimmy Hollywood".

Chris Utley

- posted January 09, 2006 10:52 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The American Cinematheque should have kept that screen when they remodeled the Egyptian. Films shown during their annual 70MM film festival lose quite a bit of impact on their standard 50 footer.

John J. Fink

- posted January 10, 2006 09:28 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst split ever: Clairidge Cinemas in Montclair, NJ, a former giant screen Cineorama house (as the gallery in the lobby reminds us) now choped into a boring six screen art house muliplex with uncomfortable seats, little leg room, and a few screens on an angle. Theaters 1, 2, and 6 are decent, but this one must have been something to see back in the day.

Whereas that lobby has none of the same archtecture if you go down the street The Wemount has a lobby that is still quite in tact, the screens are split up (and they've for some reason closed the top theater, in the old balcony).

I'm actually still greatful in CT that we have the Showcase East Hartford which is what movie going was in the 80's when those multiplexes of the 70's were getting split. Always a National Amusement house the larger theaters I belive have been devided quite a few times...I need Roger Katz to fill me in on the details here...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.