CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » The Southern California Drive-In Movie Society

Author Topic: The Southern California Drive-In Movie Society
Chris Utley

- posted August 31, 2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a member of Yahoo's Drive-Ins discussion group for just over 5 years. Quite a few of us are from Southern California. I've said many times that it would be nice if we SoCal folks got together and formed our own drive-in club. This summer, I've turned that "talk" into "ACTION"!

In June 2005, I created and launched the Southern California Drive-In Movie Society (SoCal D.I.M.S. for short).

This new organization is dedicated to preserving the classic drive-in movie experience in Southern California. With the ever increasing threat of drive-in closure due to pricey land values and overexpansion (do we really need another Costco or Wal-Mart?!?!), we want to do our part to support these drive-in movie theatres with our time, our support, and, most important, our business.

How do we plan to do our part? By having monthly meetings at one of the remaining SoCal area drive-ins. Our first meetings were held in July at the Mission Tiki Drive-In in Montclair, CA. We had 2 meetings in a row. This past Saturday (8/27), we met at the Van Buren Drive-In in Riverside, CA. All of our meetings have been well received by the drive-in's audiences, managment and staff. We have the support of De Anza Land and Leisure Corp., owners of Mission Tiki, Van Buren, and the Rubidoux Drive-In, also in Riverside, CA.

Our next meeting will be held at Pacific's Vineland Drive-In in Industry, CA on September 24, 2005. The Vineland is the only drive-in left in LA County...but it's not the only game in town. We want to build awareness about these remaining ozoners and let the folks know that drive-in movies are alive and kicking in Southern California.

If any of you LA area folks feel like joining us, come on down. Fellow CinemaTour member Kyle Muldrow is also one of the founding members of this organizaton. We'd love to have more LA area folks joining our team. Check out Drive-Ins.Com or send an email to socalozoners@comcast.net for more information.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Allen

- posted September 28, 2005 05:33 AM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris!

If that Mission DI is the one just east of Pomona, my dad was the projectionist there back in the 50s. I had worked the Anderson Brothers Vally which, I understand, no longer exists at Central and Holt (I don't think it's called Holt in Montclair). My dad was also the projectionist at the Montclair theatre (when it was a 1500 seat single screen).

Harsh Sabharwal

- posted May 17, 2006 12:38 AM      Profile for Harsh Sabharwal   Email Harsh Sabharwal         Edit/Delete Post 
hello ,

i am from new delhi , india . we have a drive-in in mumbai , but not a
single one in new delhi .

to search for a drive-in in my city of which i might not be knowing , i
spent some time in surfing over the net for a drive-in in my city .

although , i did not find any drive-ins's located in new delhi . but i
sure did find a new approach for drive-ins's about which i read at
www.mobmov.org .

they are already present in the usa , canada and australia . other
upcoming venues are in germany , brazil , indonesia and other places .

i have written to them showing my desire for starting a delhi chapter
and they have response was very encouraging .

the best part about them is they are free and they inform us about the
shows held every fortnight .

hope you all enjoy the experince , as i am waiting to start my own
drive-in chapter .

happy mobbing .

sudhanuj

Chris Utley

- posted May 17, 2006 08:39 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, SoCal DIMS has a new email address: socaldims@earthlink.net

Also, I've stepped down from the group to take care of my (now) 3 month old son. The (not so) new co-leaders are Dennis Cozzalio & Sal Gomez.

Chris Utley

- posted August 30, 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Announcing the new website for the Southern California Drive-In Movie Society:

www.socaldims.com

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.