CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » More Theatre Recommendations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: More Theatre Recommendations
Chris Utley

- posted August 26, 2005 11:53 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago I asked for movie theatre recommendations in Philadelphia, Baltimore and NYC. Thanks again to all my fellow CinemaTour members who answered my call. Y'all really helped me out tremendously.

Now I'm calling on you again.

Due to the fact that I cannot stop laughing sarcastically at the thought of paying at least $600,000 for a house in Orange County, California, my wife and I have decided to get the heck outta dodge. Our plan is to leave California. Period. I've spent 20 years here and I have lots of great memories that'll stay in my heart (like the Cinerama Dome!). But it's time for a change of scenery and, frankly, the both of us could use a bit more simplicity in our lives.

We have narrowed our relocation choices to 4 cities:
Dallas, TX
Austin, TX
Phoenix, AZ
Denver, CO

We have a spreadsheet of our own individual pros and cons for each potential location (reasonable housing, good schools, etc). Needless to say, one of the criteria on my list is movie theatres. For the last few months I've poured over just about every state's cinema list on this board trying to get a feel for what the film scene is like in other cities. Out of my own research, I've put Dallas, Phoenix, and Denver as the top 3 choices in terms of cinema quality (Austin doesn't look too hot!).

That's where you guys come in. If you've live in or near...or have visited...any of the 4 cities on my list, please give me a rundown of the film scene in each city. This will include:

Diversity of theatre chains.
The top 5 theatres in each city.
Which theatres have the largest screens.
Which theatres have the best projection.
Which theatres have the best sound systems.

I know that, because I've been in LA/OC for 20 years, that other cities may not be able to match the intensity that LA/OC has to offer. I don't think any places can (really) compare to Grauman's Chinese, Arclight/Dome, Westwood Village, National, Big Newport and the many many other legendary theatres in this area. Then again, I may be wrong. I trust you guys, the experts and the movie buffs, to guide the way.

We plan to relocate in 2007...so there's no rush on this project. Thanks again for all of your help!

|  IP: Logged

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted August 27, 2005 07:03 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Harkins Theatres dominates the Phoenix market as,i believe,they're based there.

They also have AMC and Regal/UA theatres,as well as a 6 screen drive in in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale where my sister lived before moving to Fort Wayne,Indiana where Regal dominates.

We just can't get away from that damn Regal chain,can we?

sorry,i can't help with the rest of your research. good luck.

Brad Miller

- posted August 27, 2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dallas, TX
Austin, TX
Phoenix, AZ
Denver, CO

You're right, Austin really doesn't have anything that I am aware of. I have lived in Denver and can guarantee you that the options up there are really lousy. To my knowledge there isn't any one theater that has a truly quality picture with great sound. I know there are a couple of Century theaters there that have good sound and I know the Bowles Crossing puts on a nice image, but I don't think you want to choose. Joe Redifer lives there and could fill you in on more specifics.

Dallas has fallen pretty bad too, but out of the 4 places you listed, is clearly the choice for moviegoing.

Chris Utley

- posted September 09, 2005 02:28 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
An update:

Dallas is now in first place with Denver running second. Phoenix and Austin are practically off the list.

I still need help and recommendations, y'all!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 09, 2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dallas area is great if you want to check out some out dated multiplexes. I enjoy all the old UA houses... they're perfectly cheesy.

I'll try and remember to add more later -- I'm out the door.

John Robert

- posted November 26, 2005 07:58 AM      Profile for John Robert   Email John Robert         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, have you decided yet?

I assume I'm (oops I mean Dallas [Wink] ) still on the possibles list. Whenever you move, (if it's here) you'll have 2 new AMC-plexes to choose from....the Firewheel 18 is supposed to open soon (Firewheel Town Center is in Garland at TX 78 and Bush Turnpike; it's billed as a 'mall' but is open-air and the retail industry labels it as a 'lifestyle center'--a duplicate downtown-like area with a mini-park, fountain, retail buildings with front-door parking), and another, the NorthPark Center 15, in March-April 2006 ( NorthPark Center is at US 75 and Loop 12-Northwest Hwy.), which will be on a new upper-floor arrangement like the AMC is at Valley View. The NP 15 is part a multi-zillion $$$ renovation/addition; the mall's website says the theater will have a big floor-to-ceiling picture window facing south so you can see the downtown skyline, about 5 miles south.

The NorthPark addition includes the land on which sat the very much missed GCC NorthPark 1&2. If you look in the history section of the mall's website, there is an aerial b&w pic of the mall the day it opened in '65. Down along the bottom in the parking lot separate from the main mall building (L-shaped image, later was C-shaped, now will be a full square), is another building, skinny in the middle and wider at each end, was the 1&2. I never got the pleasure of seeing anything there, but at one time, it was popular as a local movie-premiere venue.

The new AMC being so close to the existing AMC Glen Lakes about a mile away up at 75/Walnut Hill, seems to put the Glen Lakes in jeopardy; the area has lost the UA Cine 1&2, the Medallion, and the UA Plaza (which is becoming a church). The Glen Lakes was notable locally for hosting the screenings of the USA Film Festival, which now runs it's opening night at the Inwood and the remainder at the Angelika at Mockingbird Station.

Chris Utley

- posted November 26, 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Dallas is still in first place. Although we don't think we'll be moving there for another couple of years.

Chris Utley

- posted January 24, 2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
An update.

Ever since I got back from Seattle, I can't get the place out of my mind! I really really enjoyed my weekend there. Nice, even keel folks, a Bohemian spirit, great food, and a great movie scene (I ADORED the Cinerama!). As a result, I have added Seattle to my list - even in spite of the rain.

So as we stand in January 2006, here is my updated list:

1. Seattle, WA
2. Phoenix, AZ
3. Austin, TX
4. Denver, CO
5. Dallas, TX (the more I think about moving there, the more red flags I get!)

I will continue to update. Any and all recommendations (for ANY CITY at this point) will be greatly appreciated.

Dave Felthous

- posted January 24, 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Chris, we'd be pleased to have you and the missus here in Seattle! But do give careful consideration to the rain. It rains a lot, and we have day after day of dark skies. I've lived in Seattle almost 50 years,and the weather remains my only big issue with the place. (Well, that and the choking traffic.) However, after Hurricane Katrina the Seattle Times ran my one-sentence Letter to the Editor: I will never, ever again complain about Seattle's weather.

Dan Roben

- posted January 24, 2006 06:02 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely come on up, Chris. And don't worry about the rain. It just makes you appreciate the days when the sun does come out. And of course, we don't have those pesky things to worry about like hurricanes and tornados, although there is always the threat of "the big one" or major earthquake. But being from SoCal, that's old news to you, right?

Mark Campbell

- posted January 24, 2006 11:20 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I live in Santa Monica, CA now, but my heart will always be in my home town of Seattle. My wife and I hope to move back someday. Simply my favorite city in the US. I've spent some time working in Phoenix and Denver and enjoyed those as well. (Although I have not experienced Phoenix in the summer or Denver in the winter, which could change my mind about them).

Seattle really has a great movie going scene. A great mixture of art houses, both Landmark and independent, revival houses, modern megaplexes, older non-stadium multiplexes (my prefence to stadium), old theatres restored and modernized, and a few shoeboxes thrown in. Add to the mix a couple of cinema-bars and outdoor theatres in the summertime.

Seattle also has the greatest video store in the world: Scarecrow Video. Their mission is to obtain a copy of every film EVER MADE! They also try to stock the best prints as well. They got me hooked on laser discs before DVDs hit the market (still have a couple hundred!) Their foreign section is larger than most video stores and they have non-NTSC stuff not available in the US that you can rent a zone-proper player to view it with. A movie lover's paradise (or museum!)
http://www.scarecrow.com/

It must be the weather in Seattle that occasionally drives everyone into theatres. The beautiful summer days make up for the rainy periods, though. And hey, it has to rain to keep it all green!

Steve Swanson

- posted January 28, 2006 05:00 PM      Profile for Steve Swanson   Email Steve Swanson         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for Seattle itself, I only pass thru on occasion. Obviously ALOT of entertainment options. The one thing I can say is a plus is the central location to some great drive-in theaters: Rodeo, Wheel-In, Twilight.... [Smile]

Chris Utley

- posted July 12, 2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't updated this in a while so, here goes.

1. Denver, CO
2. Phoenix, AZ
3. Austin, TX
4. Seattle, WA (the weather issue is proving to be a deal breaker)

Dallas is off the list completely. My wife and I have a real funny feeling about living in Dallas that we just can't shake.

We're still open to other options so, for you newbies who haven't seen this forum as of yet, please help me!

Mark Campbell

- posted July 12, 2006 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris, being originally from Seattle, that would be my vote. Yes there are grey days and rain (not as much as people believe) but that's what makes it so green up there. Green mountains right there plus the bonus of being on the water, the best of both worlds (which Denver can't offer). Just take one deep breath of the fresh air when leaving the airport and you'll realize how stifling Southern California feels. It's a world-class Pacific Rim city with great culture, food, healthy lifestyle, nice down-to-earth people and green nature everyewhere.

But this being Cinematour, let me tell you the real reasons to move to Seattle:
The Seattle Cinerma
The Egyptian
The Harvard Exit
The Neptune
The Guild 45th
Lincoln Square
Mountlake 9
The Majestic Bay
Crossroads (big auditorium)
The Grand Illusion
The Uptown
The Varsity
The Big Picture
Alderwood 7
Alderwood 16
Pacific Place 11
East Valley 13
to name a few...

Chris Utley

- posted July 13, 2006 10:38 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mark. I was in Seattle over New Year's weekend and I loved it. The movie scene is definitely a happenin' thing. On the other hand, I hate rain! I absolutely detest it (maybe because the few times it rains in So Cal, it's a friggin torrential downpour!). I just don't know if I've got the chops to muster rain on that level...

...then again, the rain over New Year's weekend really wasn't all that bad. I eventually stopped putting up my extra-large umbrella and just let the rain fall on my head like the rest of the locals...

[ July 13, 2006, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Chris Utley ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.