CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Star Wars Episode 3: Theatre Bookings (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 3: Theatre Bookings
Paul P. Meyers

- posted May 16, 2005 11:15 AM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
Meanwhile sitting in the lobby of one theatre is this guy...Who is camping out in your lobby?

'Star Wars' hater

'Star Wars' hater will be among the first to see finale
WEMU host must make good on pal's pledge drive promise
Sunday, May 15, 2005

BY JENN MCKEE
Ann Arbor News Arts Writer
Ann Arbor Michigan

When "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" opens just after midnight early Thursday, one local moviegoer - donning a Darth Vader mask and black cape - will be sitting in a dark theater, utterly miserable.

WEMU's "Morning Edition" host David Fair has never made his feelings about the epic space opera a secret. "Whenever there's been a new 'Star Wars' movie that's come out, or there's news about George Lucas, I think our listeners have become very aware of the fact that I hold 'Star Wars' and the franchise in great disdain," said Fair.

So during a recent WEMU pledge drive, Fair's "Cinema Chat" co-host, Michigan Theater executive director Russ Collins, enticed listeners with an off-the-cuff, mischievous incentive.

"Without notifying me in any way, shape, or form in advance, Russ Collins announced to listeners that if, while he was there, we could surpass that $100,000 mark - I think we had about $3,000 left to go - that I would not only go to see 'Star Wars,' but that I would have to wear a Darth Vader mask and cape," said Fair. "The phones lit up, and within a half an hour, people ensured my pain and suffering."

Fair saw only the original "Star Wars" film back in 1977, when he was 13 years old. "(My father and I) went, we sat in the theater, and it went dark," he said. "I was kind of excited about it, and the scroll started with 'In a galaxy far far away,' or whatever it said. And I was immediately impressed by the special effects, and almost equally immediately disappointed in the acting, the dialogue, the storyline - I just couldn't tolerate the movie at all. I called (my father) to make sure that I was accurate in my memory, and he was like, 'Yeah, I felt like I'd thrown away money. You just complained about it for a week,"' said Fair.

So at a time when most of Fair's peers were swept up in the "Star Wars" mania - wearing T-shirts, collecting trading cards and action figures, and seeing the film multiple times - Fair never succumbed. And yet ironically, he will be one of the first in the area to see George Lucas' last, much-anticipated installment; Collins is taking care of the details.

"He's now responsible for getting me the mask and the cape and the tickets," said Fair, who made it a condition that Collins accompany him. "I have also asked that (Collins') wife, Deb Polich, accompany me as Princess Leia."

(Upon hearing this request, Collins laughed. "I think that was Dave's idea, but I'll see what I can do," he said.)

And lest you think Fair unfair in his assessment of the film series, in seeing recent photos of "Star Wars" fans waiting outside Grauman's Chinese Theatre - even though "Revenge" was not slated to open there - he experienced a moment of recognition.

"On one hand, I find it so very strange," said Fair. "How could people connect in such a strong way and be willing to sacrifice that? And then I remember what I was doing in the late '70s and the early '80s, and that was following the Grateful Dead around the country, dressed in my little uniform of a ponytail and a tie-dye, and I'm sure people perceive that to be just as strange."

© 2005 Ann Arbor News.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted May 16, 2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the theatres listed in this last Sunday's New York Times ad for "Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith". [bow down]

Experience Star Wars the way it was meant to be seen!
DIGITAL PROJECTION

• Clearview Cinemas Ziegfeld
    AMC Empire 25 +CCd))
    Loews Lincoln Square
    Loews 34th Street *DTS
    Loews Kips Bay
    Regal Cinemas Union Square 14
Other First Run engagements in NYC.
  • Clearview Cinemas First & 62nd Cinemas
    Loews Orpheum
    Clearview Cinemas Chelsea Cinemas
    Regal Cinemas Battery Park Stadium 11 *DTS
    Magic Johnson Theatres Harlem USA
And at Theatres Everwhere [Shrug]

Chris Utley

- posted May 16, 2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully the Loews auditorium that our fellow CinemaTour comrades recommended for me is in Digital Projection. However, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd better go to the Ziegfeld. It may not be there next time I go to NYC (which will be a couple of years).

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 16, 2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning to catch this in Boston as well on the 10th of June. Anyone recommend a good theatre near there to see it at?

Dan Roben

- posted May 17, 2005 09:10 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
No information on Boston theaters (are there any good ones left?)

Happily, here in Seattle, our Cinerama will NOT be showing SW3 in digital format. I am elated! I'll take the "warmth" of film over the "coldness" of digital any time!

BTW, can anyone tell me what a "digital 2K" presentation is? A small chain in Eastern Washington actually advertised in the local Seattle press, boasting that they are the only theaters (all two of them) utilizing "this amazing system" in the Northwest.

Despite my indifference to digital, this enquiring mind needs to know.

Chris Utley

- posted May 18, 2005 09:06 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
2K speaks to the resolution emmitted from the digital projectors. I guess it's the top of the line. We will see...

By the way...this movie, like the other 2, was shot in digital and the majority of the prints are converted to film. Lucas has even said that the digital prints contain extra footage than the 35MM prints.

Bill Gabel

- posted May 18, 2005 04:11 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Loews Lincoln Square Theatre will also be running "Star Wars" Ep3 on their IMAX screen. [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Ron Newman

- posted May 18, 2005 05:19 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie has NO display ad in either today's Boston Globe or last Sunday's Globe. Perhaps the producers felt such advertising was superfluous.

Boston now has only two movie theatres, AMC Fenway 13 (which opened in 2000) and Loews Boston Common (which opened in 2001). Star Wars III opens tonight at both of them, but neither theatre's ad mentions digital projection.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 18, 2005 08:49 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Any theatres maybe outside Boston proper worth going to? I have to be in Wilmington about 530pm...

Ron Newman

- posted May 19, 2005 05:01 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's Boston Globe does have display ads for Star Wars III. It says the film will be digitally projected at Loews Boston Common, and also at the Showcase multiplex in Randolph (south of Boston). At both theatres, only one of the six(!) Star Wars screens will have digital projection.

The nearest theatres to Wilmington are the AMC Burlington 10 and the Showcase multiplex in Woburn. There's nothing architecturally or historically interesting about either one. I'd recommend taking the trip to Loews downtown instead. When you say "worth going to", what in particular are you looking for?

Chris Utley

- posted May 19, 2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Loews Lincoln Square Theatre will also be running "Star Wars" Ep3 on their IMAX screen.
Call me crazy, but I'm all IMAX'ed out! Apart from the stellar sound and really large picture, IMAX auditoriums are getting bland and stale as the years go by. Maybe it's because I'm in Southern Cali where there's an IMAX in each of the 5 major counties (2 in LA proper, 1 in the San Fernando Valley, 1 in Orange County, 1 in San Bernardino/Riverside). IMAX is easy access for me so maybe that's why I'm not too geeked about Star Wars on the IMAX screens (and, by the way, those presentations ARE NOT in IMAX format!).

As for my NYC trip, I think I'm gonna check out the Ziegfeld. It may be my one and only chance to see the place, so what the heck? I'll catch Lincoln Square some other time.

Bill Gabel

- posted May 19, 2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Ziegfeld presentation will be a 2K.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 19, 2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'll check out the commons or Burlington. I still have itme.

Chris Utley

- posted May 19, 2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeff...make sure to come and say hello tonight. I'm in seats C20 & 21.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 19, 2005 04:11 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
If I get a chance. My friend and his family are there as well oddly enough.

I'll try to remember Chris!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.