CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Theatre Recommendations in Philly (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theatre Recommendations in Philly
Chris Utley

- posted May 19, 2005 02:55 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again to all who have made suggestions for me. We are 1 week away from my East Coast adventure and here is my game plan:

Philadelphia: I didn't get any suggestions about theatres in Philly. No big deal. We will see either Madagascar or Longest Yard at whichever multiplex is closest to my brother-in-law's house. He lives in the suburb called Upper Darby. I don't know what theatres are there or even if he goes to theatres there at all.

New York: Madagascar or Longest Yard at Loews E-Walk; Star Wars Episode 3 at The Ziegfeld. If we have time, we may catch something at Loews Lincoln Square or AMC Empire 25. I know that many folks suggested I try Loews Lincoln Square but, as I said in another thread, The Ziegfeld may be on its last legs and it'll be my only chance to check out the place. I can always go back to Lincoln Square when I return to NYC.

Baltimore: Will probably try to only see 1 movie: Cinderella Man. Unless the friend we're staying with insists upon seeing something else. She lives close to BWI and I don't quite know what theatres are in that general area.

I will do the best I can to take pictures. I'll probably only get exterior shots if that's okay. When I return, I'll give a fully detailed report of my adventure. Thanks again for all of your help.

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper

- posted May 19, 2005 10:45 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to NYC, you have a moral imperative to visit Loew's 175th (now Reverend Ike's church). It's in astonishingly original condition, & well-maintained. The only major architectural change is the addition of the Prayer Tower, & it looks like something Thomas Lamb would have put on there in the first place if he'd thought of it. You'd never know it's not original.

4140 Broadway (at 175th Street)

Just take the A train up to the 175th Street station.
The station is at 175th & Fort Washington Avenue, so you just walk one block east to Broadway.

Chris Utley

- posted May 20, 2005 07:25 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm gonna make it there. We plan on staying Midtown during our stay there. Besides, I'd rather see movies at theatres instead of touring old theatres that don't show movies anymore.

William Hooper

- posted May 23, 2005 01:16 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
All righty, but it's like going to India & not seeing the Taj Mahal.

Chris Utley

- posted June 03, 2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Still on vacation. Here's a quick update

Philadelphia: We saw "The Longest Yard" at Regal/UA King of Prussia 17. That is, by far, the biggest UA theatre I've ever seen. Nice screen. Very wide auditorium. OK sound. The only bad part was the "Theatre Nazi" lady who got uppity with us because we wanted to take a peek inside the IMAX theatre where Star Wars was playing.

New York: Madagascar at Loews E-Walk and Star Wars Episode 3 at The Ziegfeld as promised. E-Walk is an interesting theatre concept. The theatres are on separate floors, the sound was wack and the screens were just so-so.

The Ziegfeld, on the other hand, was a great experience. Nice decor and fixtures, good seats and knockout sound. Star Wars was 2K digitally projected and it looked great. As I said before, the sound was nice and loud. The only drawback is that the screen is way too small for a place of that stature. A place of this magnitude should have a 70 footer at least. But the screen size didn't take away from the experience.

We will be back to NYC sooner than later. Loews Lincoln Square and AMC Empire 25 are tops on the list for my return visit.

Baltimore is turning out to be a wash. We were planning to go to a movie on Friday night but my wife got sick and we stayed inside instead. We're here till Sunday the 5th and the chances of seeing a movie is looking very unlikely. Next time we come here, we'll talk my friends into taking us to Bengies Drive-In!

All in all, a good trip.

Chris Utley

- posted June 05, 2005 09:32 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
One last report: We managed to catch a flick in the Baltimore area. We saw "Cinderella Man" (a REALLY GOOD MOVIE!) at the Muvico Egyptian 24 at Arundel Mills. Very nice outside decor with very large Egyptian pillars and hieroglyphics on the walls. The auditoriums and sound aren't much to write home about. But the place ain't too bad.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 06, 2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Any good theatres in Massachusetts (Boston area) showing Cinderella Man?

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted July 25, 2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
The best theatres in the Philadelphia area:
  • AMC Neshaminy 24, Bensalem PA
  • AMC Hamilton 24, Hamilton NJ
  • REG Riverview Stadium 17, Philadelphia PA
  • REG King Of Prussia Stadium 16 & IMAX, King Of Prussia PA
  • REG Marketplace Stadium 24, Oaks PA
  • Loews Cineplex (soon to be AMC) Cherry Hill 24, Cherry Hill NJ
  • National Amusements The Bridge 6: Cinema De Lux
  • REG Warrington Crossing Stadium 22, Warrington PA
There are some older multiplex to see films at as well, including the AMC (Budco) 309 Cinema 9, the AMC (Goldman's-Budco) Orleans 8, the REG (RKO Stanley Warner-Eric-United Artists) Moorestown 7, and the REG (Eric-United Artists) Montgomeryville 7. [Cool] [Cool]

Tom Mundell

- posted July 26, 2005 06:39 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hamilton 24? ugh, I thought that theater was overall pretty bad! Due to the typical AMC non perforated screens they have all of the speakers up on the ceiling which is bad enough, and when combined with the extremely echo prone auditoriums it sounds even worse. The theaters there also seem to be pretty good at amplifying every sound made by the audience as well. I'm also not a fan of the curved screens there which seem to accomplish little other than distorting the picture. On the plus side, though, they seem to do a decent job otherwise; on my few visits there I haven't seen any scratched or dirty prints, picture was in frame and focus was fine, etc... (quite a contrast from the nearby Loews New Brunswick 18).

George Gates

- posted July 26, 2005 12:57 PM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I'm not well traveled, but I never heard of non-perforated screens. What is the theory behind it? Speakers on the ceiling? Another unusual configuration, I must say. Curved screens? How's the focus? Please tell us where such strange fads occurred.

Tom Mundell

- posted July 26, 2005 02:25 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the theory behind the non-perforated screens is or why AMC uses them in some theaters; maybe they reflect more light back allowing them to use a lower powered (and cheaper) lamp? I don't think curved screens are all that rare (at least I've been to a number of theaters that used them), but usually there isn't that much of a curve so everything looks fine; some auditoriums at the Hamilton 24 seem to have gone overboard and curved the screen too much. It's been a while since I've gone there, but I don't recall noticing any problems with focus, but when compared with the flat and slightly curved screens of the theaters I typically visit I remember the picture appearing warped (ie. what should be straight lines appeared curved).

The speakers on the ceiling is probably a side effect of the screens; with no holes in the screen, speakers can't be set behind it so they place them above instead (the Hamilton 24 seems to have them literally right against the ceiling. Due to stadium seating the auditoriums are rather tall making this distracting at best). This may also be done because it's cheap; I think it was the Empire 25 I went to that had a typical perforated screen with speakers behind it, but the surround speakers were still on the ceiling. To add to the sound problem they also don't have any acoustical dampening on the side walls; rooms that are somewhat 'live' can actually sound pretty good I think, but this really seems to over do it. Everything (especially dialog) seems to have too much reverberation, plus any sounds made by the audience really echo a lot.

I believe this configuration is unique to AMC theaters stadium plexes, or at least I've never seen it anywhere else.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted July 30, 2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
At Neshaminy 24, in the big 4 houses (#1, 2, 23, 24), we have the curved screens and the speakers on the top of the ceiling, at below the screen, hidden by black curtains.

In houses #7 to 18, we have the speakers behind the screen, and below the screen, hidden by the black curtains.

In houses #3 to 6, and 19 to 22, the speakers are behind the screens only.

All 24 screens have side surround speakers for the 5.1 dolby Digital, and for 6 channel SDDS. [Cool]

Brad Miller

- posted July 30, 2005 11:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
maybe they reflect more light back allowing them to use a lower powered (and cheaper) lamp?
Correct. They gain something like 10-20% extra light because that amount of the image isn't "lost" through the perforations. It's a REALLY retarded design though, as it makes the auditorium ridiculously echoey, like a high school gymnasium.

As for curved screens, some people will argue to hell and back about how "wonderful" they are, but in reality they cause geometric distortions that to me are unacceptable. The other popular argument is that a curved screen delivers better focus. Nope. Every curved screen I have seen has had focus issues, but it has been rare for me to see a flat screen with any focus problems (and of course, none of that horrible geometric distortion).

If you want an example of geometric distortion, the next time you are at a theater with curved screens, look at a static shot of skyscrapers or something with vertical lines. In a downtown city shot, the skyscrapers will look like they are all leaning towards the middle of the screen. [Roll Eyes]

All of the above complaints are pretty well limited to AMC theaters from a decade ago. Apparently someone out of his mind decided to come up with an AMC exclusive, the "HITS" system, which comprised non-perforated Taurus screens that used a vacuum to create the curve (hence the street term "suck screens") and the horrible acoustics and speaker placement that came with it. It's no wonder people called it SHITS.

The good news is that AMC has woken up and no longer builds theaters like this anymore. [thumbs up]

Jim Perry

- posted March 20, 2007 04:28 PM      Profile for Jim Perry   Email Jim Perry         Edit/Delete Post 
To Michael R. Rambo Jr.:
I was the first chief (non-union) projectionist at the Riverview, when it opened in '91 & worked there until '94.
At the time, it only had 11 screens.
Just curious here - when were the additional 6 added?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.