CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Theatre Recommendations in Philly (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theatre Recommendations in Philly
Chris Utley

- posted March 28, 2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to Philadelphia for the first time ever over Memorial Day weekend. What's the biggest, baddest, most state of the art theatre in the Philly area to catch a film at? My brother-in-law goes to the movies sometimes but he's nowhere near the film lover that I am. Therefore I don't think he'll make a good source for recommending theatres for me. That's why I'm asking my fellow Cinematour comrades. Any help and assistance will be great.

In addition, we're planning to go to New York for a day so I can see Times Square. Any theatre recommendations for my NYC day long excursion? Keep in mind that I'm not looking to tour theatres. I'm looking to actually see a film at one of the Times Square theatres.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted March 28, 2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

Your best bets in the NYC area are the Ziegfeld Theatre. (Large single screen house built in the 60's, about the size of the National Theatre in Westwood). Or the Loews Lincoln Square complex and IMAX on the Upper Westside. Or AMC's Empire 25 on 42nd Street across from Loews 42nd Street E-Walk Theatre. The great days of seeing a film in Times Square are long gone now. The Loews State Theatre in the basement of the Virgin MegaStore is the Worst theatre to see a movie in.

Chris Utley

- posted April 29, 2005 02:46 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bill. The Ziegfield will probably be showing Episode 3 when I'm there. Perfect reason to go.

I'm torn between the Loews E Walk and the Loews Lincoln Square for my second choices. Are any of those worth my time? What about AMC Empire 25? The bigger the auditorium, the better!

I still need recommendations for Philadelphia theatres. Any Baltimore area suggestions would be nice, too!

Bill Gabel

- posted April 29, 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Loews Lincoln Square is a much better house than the Loews E-Walk. The AMC Empire 25 is not a bad house, but you just keep going up, up and up to get to your theatre.

Chris Utley

- posted April 30, 2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I recall hearing good things about Loews Lincoln Square over the last few years. I seem to recall hearing how massive some of the auditoriums there are.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 02, 2005 04:53 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Episode #1 at the Zigfield, and it was a good presentation. Overall I was disappointed with the theatre, much more bland than I was expecting.

As far as Lincoln Square vs. E-Walk, go to Lincoln Square, I'm sure the insides are much more interesting and it is after all one of the theatres that is responsible for a major advance in cinema design.

I wish I had some Philly or Baltimore recommendations for you. My only recommendation is that no matter where you go, take some pictures and send them in to Adam. We are without photos from those areas and I'd love to see some.

Have a fun trip.

Dan Roben

- posted May 02, 2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding New York theaters...

I second Scott's opinion on The Ziegfeld. It's big, sure, but it is a bit bland and the screen size is small for the large auditorium. Instead, if it is still open, check out the Beekman on the East Side. This theater is in a class all by itself. It's very plush and reminded me of an oversized studio screening room, with its large screen and top-notch presentation. The marquee is cool, too. If it isn't closed, it will be closing very soon to make room for a hospital expansion (who needs a bigger hospital?), so make sure to catch whatever is showing there. It's one of the few remaining single screen theaters operating in Manhattan.

As for the Lincoln Square, make sure you see whatever is playing in the "Loews" auditorium. This is the big house (over 900 seats) and it features that rarity of rarities, a balcony! Be warned, some of the smaller houses are nothing special and would not be out of place at your local mall cineplex.

As for Philly, I was there 20 years ago, so theaters I visited then are no longer open. Can't help you there. And I've never set foot in Baltimore, though I understand that the Senator Theater is THE theater to see there.

Good luck and have a great trip (and have a slice for me!).

Chris Utley

- posted May 02, 2005 11:20 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the strangest feeling that Lincoln Square will be showing ROTS. That will cause a MAJOR dilemma for me since I've planned on seeing ROTS at the Ziegfeld. Oh well.

I can't promise I'll take any movie theatre pictures. But I will promise to give a report when I return. Thanks to all who gave me suggestions.

5 MINUTES LATER...

Dilemma confirmed! Star Wars ROTS is gonna be at Lincoln Square as well. This is now a major toss up. What should I do, folks?

Dan Roben

- posted May 02, 2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
There's no doubt in my mind. You should definitely see it at the Lincoln Square. You can thank me later.

Tom Mundell

- posted May 03, 2005 06:50 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Loews Lincoln Square is probably a good choice; personally I don't like either the Empire 25 or E-Walk theatres, they are pretty typical AMC/Loews designs. Unimpressive sound and picture at both, though I've only been in the smaller and medium sized auditoriums, I'm not sure how the large ones are (hopefully better).

I still haven't made it to the Ziegfeld; last time I was in NY it was closed!! I also meant to take some pictures when I was there, but forgot my camera as well. d'oh!

Bill Gabel

- posted May 03, 2005 08:59 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Beekman Theatre is slated to close at the end of May. I live a few blocks from the Ziegfeld Theatre, but I liked the Loews Astor Theatre better. It was like the old Plitt Century Plaza Theatre in Century City, California. Before Cineplex screwed the main theatre up by tri-plexing it.

Also remember that the Loews Lincoln Square Theatre pulls some very strong grosses in the weekly reports. [bow down]

Chris Utley

- posted May 03, 2005 09:11 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Lincoln Square it is, then.

At the time of my trip (May 28-June 5), my other choices will be Madagascar, The Longest Yard, and the leftovers from early to mid May. I'll probably see Madagascar in Philly and Longest Yard in NYC at one of the two Times Square theatres.

Cinderella Man opens during the last leg of my trip in Baltimore. I'll probably end up seeing it there.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 04, 2005 03:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough Chris, I'll be in Boston on June 10th. What is opening that day?

I drive to New York that night for 4 days.

Chris Utley

- posted May 04, 2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oddly enough Chris, I'll be in Boston on June 10th. What is opening that day?
A little film that allegedly broke up a marriage called "Mr & Mrs Smith". [evil devil]

Ron Newman

- posted May 05, 2005 07:30 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Boston has only two movie theatres now! The Loews Boston Common (19 screens, opened in 2001) and the AMC Fenway (13 screens, opened in 2000). All others have closed or have been converted to live stages.

Interesting movie theatres in nearby towns:

Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square, Cambridge (single screen)

Somerville Theatre in Davis Square, Somerville (one original 1914-vintage theatre, complete with balcony, plus four smaller cinemas built in the 1990s)

Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline (two screens plus a small video screening room)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.