CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Ken Roe is visiting southern California in a few weeks - time for a CTLA? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ken Roe is visiting southern California in a few weeks - time for a CTLA?
Jeff Arellano

- posted January 28, 2005 04:49 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I say just meet early so we can make the most of it.

South Bay and Westside has a little more than South LA since a lot has been torn down.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted January 28, 2005 09:49 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
As it turns out, my wife is making me take her to Arclight to see "House of Flying Daggers" on Sunday. Therefore I won't be able to do the tour. However, if you plan on dropping by Arclight/Cinerama Dome, I'll be there between 12:30 and 3:00.

Have fun, guys!

Ken Roe

- posted January 28, 2005 11:26 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,
Give me a call, you have my numbers. I agree a fairly early start would be best, as sun sets around 4:30pm

Chris, sorry you won't be able to make it. I went to see 'House of Flying Daggers' at the newly re-opened Aero Theatre, Santa Monica a couple of weeks ago. It's a great movie. Enjoy.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 28, 2005 02:22 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're still going to be in the Bay Area on February 4-5, I think I'm available those days if you want to get lunch and see some theaters. Send me an email and I'll verify my work schedule.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 28, 2005 05:45 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I will call Saturday. I will use the local number since i stink at calling international.

Also, my cell phone is (626) 641 - 5447

Ken Roe

- posted January 28, 2005 09:09 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam;
Thanks I will be available and have e-mailed you.

Jeff;
Looking forward [thumbs up]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 29, 2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested in meeting in the Bay Area on Saturday the 5th, send me an email and I'll try to coordinate things.

Ken Roe

- posted January 30, 2005 10:32 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff;
Many thanks for being such a great host and 'tour' guide. We did so much, covering so much ground and even getting into 6 theaters on a Sunday (of all days).

I really appreciate your hospitality.

Ken

Chris Utley

- posted January 31, 2005 03:53 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you guys end up going? If you were in Hollywood, we may have crossed paths. I was at Grauman's Chinese at 12:00 and at Arclight at 3:00 on Sunday.

I also found out that Grauman's now does tours for $12.00. The next time I have an out of town guest, I'm taking them on the tour!

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 31, 2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, great day with you. Next time your out here, definitely lets meet up. we'll tour OC or another area that you havent been to yet.

Chris -
Here was our route and theatres. It was wild and long. A lot of criss crossing.

9am - Met Ken at his friends in Hollywood.
Drove to the first theatre, the Highland in Highland Park
Went to the York thats in Highland Park. Entered and saw the interior (church today, original seats from the theatre, really old and nice).
Tried to locate a third that is near the Highland, couldnt tell if the store that is there now was the theatre. I forgot the name.
Drove to The Eagle. Entered the church it is today, saw the lobby and auditorium (mass was going on so we peeked through the door)
tried to locate another Eagle Rock Theatre, couldnt tell if the building that is next to the spot was it or not.
Drove through Glendale and saw the Alex, Roxy and Old GCC. Didnt stop though.
Drove through Burbank's Downtown, didnt stop at the multiplexes there, but went to the California on Magnolia. Stopped there, entered the church and the auditorium is partially remaining there. Mass was going on so we didnt stay long.
Drove to see the Magnolia. Still has the art deco floor. Nice building.
Tried to locate one on Lankershim, couldnt find it.
Drove across the valley to the Fox Van Nuys, got out and entered the swap meet to see nothing remaining of the theatre.
Drove further west to the reseda. Took Pictures.
Drove even further west to the Canoga, took pics. Its now a new theatre for live productions, totally gone is the original.
Went to the Topanga on Topanga, walked through the store and saw 2 of the auditoriums, the third was closed off it looked like.
Caught the freeway, went to East LA. Tried to locate theatres on City Terrace, Wabash, and Cesar Chavez, no luck. They are gone.
Drove into South LA. Saw the Lincoln on Central from the outside.

Then came the biggie. Went to the union, and got a full tour of the old theatre (on 43rd St I think it was). Saw teh auditorium, projection, and outside. This theatre is being refurbished. I'll let ken say more later.
Drove down to the Leimert, great old looking theatre.
Drove by the Academy in Inglewood.
Stopped and saw the Fox there, drove by the other.
Drove by the Loyola in Westchester.
Then came hunting for the elusive La Tijera. Found that finally and walked aroudn it.
Drove quickly as sun was setting to the Fox Venice. Walked the swap meet and noticed a lot of the ceiling moulding is still there.

WE ended the day at the Culver to see it all lit up.

Chris Utley

- posted February 01, 2005 07:56 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a WHOLE LOT of driving!!! If and when Ken comes back and you do an OC tour, I'm sure I'll be available...since I live in OC.

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 01, 2005 04:16 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea. Over 120 miles at least.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted February 05, 2005 11:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
By the time I was able to meet up with Ken, he had already visited most of the standard fare in San Francisco and Oakland. So I took him to see things he would not see anywhere else.

On today's (short) tour in the Bay Area:

• Picked Ken up at the Orpheum in San Francisco.
  • Searched for the Broadway in Burlingame ... which appears to be the same as the Encore Cinema and is now demolished.
  • Toured the Hyatt in Burlingame.
  • Toured the Park 12 in Redwood City.
  • Photographed the Fox in Redwood City.
  • Toured the former Varsity in Palo Alto.
  • Photographed what might be the Festival in Palo Alto.
  • Photographed the former Bijou in Palo Alto.
  • Photographed what might be the Paris in Palo Alto.
  • Photographed the Aquarius in Palo Alto.
  • Toured the lobby of the Stanford in Palo Alto.
  • Photographed the Jose in San Jose.
  • Photographed the Camera 12 in San Jose.
  • Photographed the Camera 3 in San Jose.
  • Toured the lobby of the Fox California in San Jose.
  • Photographed the Camera One in San Jose.
  • Photographed the Studio in San Jose.
  • Photographed the Gay in San Jose.
  • Saw the Hackworth Imax Dome in San Jose but didn't stop because it was getting dark.
  • Photographed the Towne in San Jose.
  • Toured the Century 21 in San Jose.
  • Toured the Century 22 in San Jose.
  • Toured the Century 23 in San Jose.
  • Photographed the Ciné Arts at Santana Row in San Jose.
And then we finally ate at Chili's (because Maggiano's had a *3 hour* wait)
About 120 miles for Ken, about 300 miles for me.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 06, 2005 12:06 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I couldn't make it out with you guys.

I spent a lovely day vomiting.

Eric Hooper

- posted February 07, 2005 01:41 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
If Ken is still in town, get him to The Coronet. It is closing this week!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.