CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Ken Roe is visiting southern California in a few weeks - time for a CTLA? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ken Roe is visiting southern California in a few weeks - time for a CTLA?
David Morrison

- posted January 03, 2005 04:32 PM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people on this board know each other from handles only and since Ken's going to be in town all the way from England, might it be good to meet up and tour theatres both opened and closed?

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 03, 2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to. It'd be cool to meet some people. Also, I think I found a theatre not listed on here that I cant find anywhere.

Ken Roe

- posted January 04, 2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! It's true guys, I'm coming over. David; Thanks for noticing a remark I made on Cinema Treasures. [Smile]

Here is my schedule:
Arrrive LAX Wed 12th January.
I will be staying in Pasadena for a week, mainly working on getting things set up for the Theater Historical Society of America; LA/San Diego Conclave which takes place in June.

I then move to friends in Glendale from around 20th Jan until around 25th Jan. (Will be free to tour some theatres)

Then I move across to stay with a friend in West Hollywood until 31st Jan (Will be free to tour some theatres)

I then travel up to San Francisco 31st Jan until 7th Feb. (Again free to tour theatres)

If you want to make plans to meet up while I am over there send me an e-mail (ken@kenroe.co.uk) and I will send you contact phone numbers etc and we can get something going eh [Razz] [thumbs up]

Looking forward>>>>>
Ken

David Morrison

- posted January 04, 2005 01:35 PM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
Right on right on! Well, that makes three of us - any other SoCal CT'ers?

Chris Utley

- posted January 06, 2005 11:48 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good. Let me know what theatres you're planning to visit.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 07, 2005 05:44 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be down in SoCal hanging out with some friends on Jan 22nd and 23rd.

Ken Roe

- posted January 11, 2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
I have e-mailed my contact details to Jeff Arellano, so if we are going to get together, can we co-ordinate this through him please? [bow down]

Looking forward to meeting some of you and touring a few theaters together. [thumbs up]

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 11, 2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have all the numbers and itenerary.

Whatever day is good for all who want to go.

Let me know i guess. Just post it here.

Ken Roe

- posted January 25, 2005 09:32 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anything going to happen while I am in LA? [Roll Eyes] Only a few days left to 'do it' [thumbs up]

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 26, 2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, how does Sunday sound, can anyone meet sunday?

I've been busy since last week but am free sunday.

Ken Roe

- posted January 26, 2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,
Sunday is good for me. I am now at my West Hollywood friend's place. You have my contact details.

Chris Utley

- posted January 27, 2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be available on Sunday. Just tell me where we're planning to meet. And...are we just going to tour theatres or will we actually be attending any screenings?

Ken Roe

- posted January 27, 2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris & Jeff,
Tour theatres for preference, how about checking out S. Central and surrounding area?

Chris Utley

- posted January 27, 2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing worth seeing in South Central except for Magic Johnson's theatre. The lobby's cool...it's made up of B&W photos of African American entertainers. But it's a crappy place to see a flick. When I lived in S Central, I avoided the place like the plague.

In the surrounding areas, the South Bay area only has the AMC (formerly General Cinema) South Bay Galleria 16 & AMC Rolling Hills 20. East of S.C. you've got Edwards South Gate 20 and AMC Norwalk 20. There's the downtown LA palaces (which should only be seen with a guided tour...going downtown is like taking your life in your hands!). And, of course, there's Hollywood (Cinerama Dome/Arclight, Chinese & El Capitan) and Pasadena (there's a fairly new theatre in Old Town Pasadena) to the north and Westwood/Beverly Hills/Century City to the west. There are 2 new theatres on the Westside, both by Pacific Theatres: The Grove (down the street from the Beverly Center...nice theatre) and Culver Stadium 12 in Century City.

How about you and Jeff come up with a game plan and I'll see if it's worth tagging along.

Ken Roe

- posted January 27, 2005 09:14 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
S. Central was just a suggestion being it is an area of LA I have never visited. There is the the 1927 built, 1,960 seat Lincoln Theater there at 2300 S. Central (now a church). Any other old theaters around?

I have spent the past 2 days downtown wandering up and down Main, Spring, Broadway and Hill Street's armed with my theater lists noting where buildings once were and what's on the sites nowadays! Downtown is improving greatly and is fast loosing it's skid row image, especially all the loft conversation going on in the Main and Spring St area.

I am in your hands as to where to suggest going to! You live here. [bow down] LOL

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.