CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » The Night The Lights Went Out At Century 25

Author Topic: The Night The Lights Went Out At Century 25
Chris Utley

- posted October 30, 2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night (10/29) my good friend and fellow CinemaTour member Kyle Muldrow and I went to see "Saw" at Century Stadium 25 in Orange, CA. 5 minutes before the show started, the power went out...in the whole theatre. In fact, the whole complex that the theatre's located in (it's surrounded by a Chili's, Acapulco Mexican Restaurant, and King's Fish House) went pitch black.

The pre-show slides just abruptly stopped and the fluorescent lights in the ceiling came on. Everything else was total darkness...projection booth, hallways, etc. Needless to say, we had to evacuate the theatre. It was the most bizarre thing I'd ever seen at the movies.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm dying to hear about it!

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton

- posted October 30, 2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they find out the cause of the outage? How long was the duration of the outage? Were any other businesses (besides the ones you mentioned) affected?

The overhead fluorescents that came on in the auditorium no doubt were battery backed emergency units that run an inverter to light a couple of the tubes in those fixtures. I would assume that this theater was also equipped with battery backed exit signs.

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 31, 2004 06:53 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked at AMC I dont know how many times the fire alarms went off during my shift. I was constantly calling my bosses at home and the regional manager in Kansas City.

The reason as it turned out was mischevious employees looking to get free passes when we'd pass them out.

I found this out after I left. Also, I was the only one in my theatre who constantly knew what to do in an emergency. When we had a power outage. I was the only one calm.

Bill Gabel

- posted November 01, 2004 04:31 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
We had just got the go ahead to start a Double-System screening for Focus Features, when the Big Blackout hit last year that hit the East Coast. The curtains were about 3/4 open and the logo had just hit the screen, when it hit. We had a blast that night at the pub. Candles, Wine, and a lot of Good Friends and a genny
[thumbs up] [thumbs up]

Tom Mundell

- posted November 02, 2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we had this happen when I worked at Loews, a severe thunder storm knocked our power out in the entire 15 screen complex for about 15-20 minutes. All of the auditoriums, hallways, and lobby are equipped with the usual emergency backup lights which lit the place up rather well. We handed out free passes to everyone, a few people wanted refunds instead which we did, and didn't really have any problems except for one person who insisted we turn the power on immediately and restart the movie (luckily pretty much everyone else seemed to understand our control of the weather was just a bit limited...)

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 02, 2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHA. I love how people think you can simply rewind the movie.

When I worked at a 30plex that was the worse for power outages, especially with 3500 people in the theatre, and usually two projectionists.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted November 02, 2004 11:39 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
At least a total power outage isn't as bad as losing only a phase. Try explaining that to a complex full of people.

Kevin Dupruy

- posted June 14, 2005 06:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Dupruy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Cinemark 14 at the Prien Lake Mall in Lake Charles, LA, when hte movie was over, at around 3pm, we saw that some auditoriums had been closed. We walked out of the theater into the inside of the mall to do some shopping,.and yet everything was closed. As it turned out, the lights in one half of the mall had gone, (thankfully not the half that Cinemark was in)so they closed the enitre thing! We didn't even know it unitl they directed us out of the mall because of all the skylights.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.