CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Worst theatre still operating (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Worst theatre still operating
Raymond Zacher

- posted October 20, 2004 09:35 AM      Profile for Raymond Zacher   Email Raymond Zacher         Edit/Delete Post 
I have experienced many great and awful movie houses through the years. Here are some of the worst. In St. Louis, The Tower theater in the mid-60's. Torn screen sewn up with rope! Esquire Cinemas (the really small ones in the 70's) Might as well stayed home and watched on TV. Westport Cine'. For "American Graffiti" to play there for a year and the ONLY place in town to see it, the lousy distorted sound and small auditorium made me all the more thankful I saw it as a sneak preview (uncut) at the Century 21 in Sacramento.

The best theaters I currently enjoy are the Rave theaters in West Chester, Ohio. Over the years, the Tower in Sacramento, Cinema 150 in Sacramento, Martin Cinerama in STL and the original Creve Coeur (single screen) Cinema in STL.

For what it's worth, the greatest drive-in has to be the Airway in STL, as far as presentation goes. As a kid, the North had the neatest playground, but nothing could beat the St. Ann 4 screen because they had a real steam train they gave kids (and adults) rides on around the complex!

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted October 20, 2004 06:02 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I regret to inform you that the Century 21 in Sacramento was split down the middle and the Tower in Sacramento was chopped into a three-plex and is now a dump.

The Creve Coeur has been torn down, but operated for a time as a three-plex. The main auditorium was nice, though.

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 21, 2004 09:46 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I think i may catch a movie at the following theatres to see how bad they are:

Santa Fe Springs 3 (Independent 1st Run, outlived amazingly the Mann 8 across the street)

Redondo 3 (Former GCC - now discount house)

Raymond Zacher

- posted October 25, 2004 08:14 AM      Profile for Raymond Zacher   Email Raymond Zacher         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam; nice to hear from someone from Sacramento. For the record, I was stationed at Beale 1969-1973 and loved the area very much, but not sure what it's like living there now. I visited the area in May this year.

There were so many great theaters out there as I mentioned previous. Some of the drive-ins were good as well. Me and some friends went to a dusk-to-dawn Clint Eastwood western marathon at either the 49er or Thunderbird back in 1971. That was fun.

[ October 27, 2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Zacher ]

William K. Lodholz

- posted November 09, 2004 01:19 PM      Profile for William K. Lodholz   Email William K. Lodholz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tower in Sacramento was probalby the worst theater I was ever in until I took the kids to the State in Woodland CA. They made at triple out of by putting two tiny ones in the space that leased store fronts. The main auditorium has possiblites, but suffers from serious neglect.

Bill Gabel

- posted October 16, 2007 06:16 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the famed Vine Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. has closed. But take hart it is available for church services as some one on another site said when they phoned the theatre's answering machine. And for those of you that saw a film there the Dolby Stereo sound still SUCKED!! [Rolling on Floor Laughing] [Rolling on Floor Laughing] [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Bob Allen

- posted November 01, 2007 12:24 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Adam!

What ever happened to the Crest Theatre. Back in the late 60s I was working as a permit man for the Sacto local of the IA and used to work that theatre. As I remember it had three projectors - two Century and one Simplex. I thought it was one of the prettiest theatres I had ever seen.

John J. Fink

- posted November 26, 2007 03:57 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Got one on the East Coast: Clearview Cinemas Kinnelon 11 (Kinnelon, NJ) - uncomfortable seating, projection that's never sharp, focused or framed correctly, and a management who doesn't get that when you pay $10.25 to see a film, you expect to see whole movie: credits included.

The theater is two sites: one a retrofitted Jerry Lewis site carved into two tiny screenings rooms and a decent sized one, and a retrofitted single floor mall with 8-living room sized theaters (in a bad way).

Add in the staff of teens that sees spaced out half the time and you get, to quote comic book guy: worst. theater. ever.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 28, 2007 12:28 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh please take some pictures. [Smile]

Brad Erickson

- posted January 15, 2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly Center Cinemas, Beverly Hills (Los Angeles, CA).

Todd Erwin

- posted January 16, 2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Edwards Triangle Square, Costa Mesa, CA

Jason Whyte

- posted June 19, 2008 09:24 PM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Avalon 8 Cinema in Nanaimo, BC. This first-run, stadium-seating screen was built in 1999 by Landmark Cinemas of Canada, a chain that couldn't project film properly if their lives depended on it. We lost a single screen Landmark art house in Victoria, the Vic, that had good programming but lousy projection. Nowhere as bad as this one, however.

The Avalon sets a new low for bad. For $7.95, you get some of the sloppiest projection I have ever seen along with terrible sound. They still claim to have THX in cinemas 6 and 8, yet would fail miserably if anyone from THX ever watched a movie in there. One side (5-8) has Dolby Digital -- yet I don't even remember the last time a movie played properly in SRD -- and the other half is analog only.

On their largest cinema, #8, Flat 1.85 is projected into a smaller square than the actual projected 1.85 frame, with image bleeding terribly outside all four corners of the smaller frame. Scope doesn't fare that well either, with a scope screen that looks heavily cropped on the sides, and is usually run out of frame.

For whatever reason, there are frequent lens changes during previews (and they never program properly with the feature; it seems they just slap together whatever is lying around the booth), and many times I have went there they never splice trailers together properly, so I have had to get up to complain when everything goes out of frame. As well, they use that pesky yellow tape on everything, so you get to see a split second of complete black on every reel change.

Sound is dreadful...piss poor analog that seems to only come out of the very right speaker. Something tells me that they must think the new Cyan based Dolby readers are their new Dolby Digital units and run everything that way, hence nothing playing in digital anymore. I wouldn't put it past them.

I have been told they build all their prints directly onto the platter, which would explain why the very first showing of Beowulf last year was scratched. Automation also never seems to work, which works well if you enjoy watching your movies with the house lights all the way on.

Staff are mostly careless teenage kids who don't give a crap about film, and look at me puzzled when I go up to complain about anything wrong with the film presentation (which is pretty much every time I go there).

There is a nearby Galaxy/Cineplex Odeon cinema that is not perfect by any stretch, but is a far nicer theatre than the garbage we have here. Avalon 8 Cinemas in Nanaimo...you suck!

Roger Chinnici

- posted June 21, 2008 06:17 AM      Profile for Roger Chinnici   Email Roger Chinnici         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey man, I love those kinds of theaters. That's where all the memories come from. The "movies" I can watch on DVD but the "experience" of the neighborhood theater has become a dinosaur. Those that remain should be left untouched....sticky floors, torn screens, ripped carpets, rude employees, stale candy and yes, even the tipsy projectionist who misses change-overs. Ah..the memories.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 21, 2008 11:15 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger - I think I like your style!

I keep meaning to go watch a movie at the UA Stonestown just to enjoy the 80's.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.