CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Worst theatre still operating (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Worst theatre still operating
Mike Law

- posted June 19, 2004 02:31 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, let's have some midwestern trailer trash talk here... You know, sticky, dirty floors...flickering pictures on the screen... rude employees...stale refreshments, etc. What's the worst theatre that's still operating, and what are your complaints???

|  IP: Logged

Chuck Cook

- posted June 20, 2004 03:14 AM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
*The GKC Grand Traverse 9 in Traverse City, MI. Built in 1992, it shows how unmodern GKC can be. Typical cookie cutter theatre that's proud there's no competition in town, other than their sister up the road, the Horizon.

*Star Rochester in Rochester Hills, MI. Saw "Van Helsing" there a few weeks ago and it was in mono. The side speakers didn't work!

FTR, both above theatres are not stadium.

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted June 20, 2004 05:41 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, the Theatre Historical Soc. has had a "Sticky Floor Index" for quite some time, though I doubt it is really official. I was told years ago that it runs from 'Annoying, to Very Annoying, to Gross, to Infested, to 'Give Me My Shoe Back!!' In any place that gets the last two grades, you can bet that the screen is dirty and/or torn, there are unpatched roof leaks visible, the food is awful, the admission is too high, and the projection/sound are about what you would expect on the TV at home. To say that the staff is uncaring would put it mildly! Sad to say, most of this would describe many cinemas these days.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 20, 2004 07:12 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Pacific Hasings Ranch. Opened...????? looks like the 70's.
Will be closed when the AMC Opens down the road i am guessing.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted June 21, 2004 07:06 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hastings Ranch was,i believe,an SRO theatre that Pacific bought when SRO(Sterling Recreational Organization)went belly up around 1984.

For me,the worst is the Tropicana 6 in Las Vegas!

It was awful when it opened as the UA Paradise 6(then went indie)and even worse when became a Cine Latino before going back to all English language a few months ago.

They need to tear it down and rebuild a theatre there IMHO.

Darren Snow

- posted June 29, 2004 07:17 AM      Profile for Darren Snow   Email Darren Snow         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I'm as disgusted as the next guy by modern cinemas that provide subpar moviegoing experiences due to plain old negligence, I do enjoy visiting old, clearly outmoded small-town theaters that somehow keep hanging in there.
My most memorable experience so far was at the State Theater in Nashville, IL, which--as of 1998, anyway, and I'm sure it hasn't changed much if any since then--seemed to be using, as its entire sound system, a single ancient speaker mounted above the screen. The seat backs were unupholstered wood. The attraction was the re-release of "Grease," so there I was in the '90s, seeing a '70s movie about the '50s in a theater that was stuck in the '40s.
Incidentally, two fat little nine-year-old girls with pudding-bowl haircuts sat right behind us, reciting every line of dialogue in a reverent monotone. My wife threatened to turn around and tell them to shut up. "Wait," I pleaded, "I want to hear them sing 'Greased Lightning.'"

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted June 29, 2004 10:06 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
Darren, I loved your decade-by-decade description, but I am afraid that just the experience you had with the little girls, is the reason that I seldom go out to movies anymore -- much as that may seem like heresy to say that here! Not only are the movie palaces all but gone with no decor to look at should the movie be bad, but the audiences are not policed by ushers and it has become a rude experience.

David Morrison

- posted July 07, 2004 12:31 PM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pacific Hasings Ranch. Opened...????? looks like the 70's.
Will be closed when the AMC Opens down the road i am guessing."

The former Hastings 5 Pacific is a great theatre - the main auditorium is one of the largest screens left in that part of the world, and the sound isn't bad, either.

Bill Gabel

- posted August 02, 2004 09:54 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
You should have seen the Hastings when it was a single screen theatre. The Mann's Hastings Ranch tri-plex opened in the mid-70's.

For the worst theatre, I would add the Vine Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. and the Loew's State Theatre in Times Square. [Eek!]

David Morrison

- posted August 02, 2004 11:05 AM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
"You should have seen the Hastings when it was a single screen theatre. The Mann's Hastings Ranch tri-plex opened in the mid-70's.

For the worst theatre, I would add the Vine Theatre on Hollywood Blvd."

Was the Hastings initially just that huge 60-foot screen with all the other theatres tacked on?

What's so bad about the Vine? Just curious, not accusatory. [Smile]

Bill Gabel

- posted August 02, 2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Was the Hastings initially just that huge 60 foot screen...
Yes, the auditorium that is just before you enter the main theatre was where the screen use to be. They cut the front half of the theatre and made another screen. That was one large theatre at one time. Before the Hastings, there was the Hastings Drive-In at that location.

During its last years as a Pacific Theatre, it was run as a budget house (two feature for like $2.50). Pacific let the house run down. Then they sold it to the current owner. Who fixed up a few things and added Dolby Stereo "A". But the theatre is just worn out, it needs a giant cleaning.

I worked a few of the theatres located on Hollywood Blvd., when I was living in Los Angeles.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 03, 2004 05:56 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious to go check out the Vine one night.

Dan Roben

- posted August 03, 2004 07:41 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Seattle is blessed with many wonderful cinemas, but one complex in particular stands out as one of the most poorly designed and operated.

The Loews Meridian 16 in the middle of Seattle's very popular downtown shopping district gets my vote. Consider the following evidence:

-Opened in 1997 when stadium seating was just becoming the rage, this stacked three story complex decided to go with a rake so shallow, and with screens placed so low, that even I at 6'4" am forced to sit high in my seat. I pity the fool that is forced to sit behind me. Thankfully, I rarely go there.

Dan Roben

- posted August 03, 2004 07:54 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Seattle is blessed with many wonderful cinemas, but one complex in particular stands out as one of the most poorly designed that I have seen.

The Loews Meridian 16 in the middle of Seattle's very popular downtown shopping district gets my vote. Consider the following evidence:

-Opened in 1997 when stadium seating was just becoming the rage, this stacked three story complex decided to go with a rake so shallow, and with screens placed so low, that even I at 6'4" am forced to sit high in my seat. I pity the fool that is forced to sit behind me. Thankfully, I rarely go there.

-When the cinema first opened, comfortable seating was installed, but the seat backs were so high that they blocked the screens. Loews hurriedly ripped them out and put in low-back, but much less comfortable seating. The nicer seats were used in their stadium designed Woodinville 12 complex.

-In the two "large" houses, there is an odd rise (more a bump, really) halfway down the auditorium, which then flattens out again. This causes more sight problems.

-Because this theater is so inexplainably popular, it already looks trashed.

-I have come to expect ads in Loews theaters, but 12 minutes of them and then 12 minutes of previews? Come on! Even other Loews aren't that bad.

All in all, it adds up to a rollicking day at the cinema!

To be fair, projection and sound quality appear to be quite good, but what good is that when I even have to crane my neck to see the screen?

I feel better now.

Dan Wright

- posted September 29, 2004 12:43 PM      Profile for Dan Wright   Email Dan Wright         Edit/Delete Post 
The Super Saver 7 in Tulsa, I was there about a year ago to see Dumb and Dumberer. The masking was gone from the left side of the screen. You could see the cinder block wall behind it.
I think the sound was MONO and by that I mean mono as in One speaker. Filthy carpets and damaged sheet rock in the hall ways did not help either. I know the place is a dollar house but it has not been taken care of in years. Presentation quality on the movie was on par with some of the horror stories I have heard on this site. Badly scratched and sproket holes punched down one side.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.