HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Manager Wins Millions

Author Topic: Manager Wins Millions
Paul P. Meyers

- posted July 21, 2004 10:59 AM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday, April 10, 2004

Jury awards $3 million in cinema manager's firing

Associated Press

FLINT, Mich. -- A Genesee County Circuit Court jury has awarded more than $3 million to a man who claimed he was unjustly fired from his manager's job at Showcase West theaters.

Gary Trepanier, 52, said he was fired by National Amusements, which owns the chain, because he obtained a personal protection order against an employee he had been dating.

The jury on Tuesday awarded Trepanier $180,000 for lost past wages, $844,500 for lost future wages and $1,024,500 each for past and future mental anguish, his attorney, Glen N. Lenhoff, told The Flint Journal.

"We are appealing this decision and therefore, can't comment on an ongoing legal matter," National Amusements corporate spokeswoman Jennifer Hanson said.

Trepanier spent 16 years with the company and managed the theater from the time it opened in 1995 until his firing in 1998, Lenhoff said.

National Amusements fired Trepanier for allegedly favoring the employee, Lenhoff said. But Trepanier contended his firing violated the Whistleblower's Act because he had gone to court to report a problem with the employee.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Law

- posted July 21, 2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a personal protection order???

Dave Felthous

- posted July 21, 2004 06:00 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume a "personal protection order" is a restraining order issued by the court making it illegal for the party being restrained to come closer than a specific distance to the party obtaining the order.

Paul P. Meyers

- posted July 21, 2004 07:49 PM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify things...the second hand story i heard about this case was that the manager in question was dating an emplyee possibly a concessionist. After this affair ended the other party (employee he was dating) is alleged to have stalked the manager who then obtained an order of protection which would mean that the party of the second part would have to maintain a certain distance from the party of the first part. After being fired by Showcase, he invoked the Whistleblowers Act as mentioned in the AP story. Again this is secopnd hand information combined with vague information via the Associated Press story.

The moral of the story is for you to decide....

a) don't date cowokers
b) if old stay away form those young coworkers, if young stay away from those old coworkers.
c) whenever possible sue Sumner Redstone or whoever owns Showcase
d) be glad the jury didn't award damages in the form of free movie and popcorn coupons
f) all or none of the above

[ July 22, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Paul P. Meyers ]

Mike Olpin

- posted July 21, 2004 10:02 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Olpin         Edit/Delete Post 
That should make him the most wealthy person in Flint.

Mike Law

- posted July 21, 2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
The old union projectionist credo was "don't get your meat where you get your bread and butter."

Bob Allen

- posted August 01, 2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I don't know Michael. I did and we've been married for 34 years.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.