CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Fahrenheit 911 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fahrenheit 911
Jeff Arellano

- posted June 27, 2004 11:08 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I dont want to start a political debate with this topic, but who is interested here in seeing this film, or who has seen this film already.

I think that this will be probably the biggest grossing Doccumentary of all time after this film is done with its run.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 27, 2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
This film is doing very well here. My roommate saw it last night and said it was sold out, even at the crappiest theater in town.

Mike Law

- posted June 27, 2004 09:51 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a liberal Democrat and proud of it too. I hope this picture rocks and breaks some records in the process.

Chuck Cook

- posted June 28, 2004 11:52 AM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it at the Horizon in Traverse City midnight Sat. night. The place was packed. The film itself was awesome. Too bad that Traverse Cityites had to see it in a dinky 200-seat auditorium with SEVERELY loud surround sound and no stadium seating.

Mike Law

- posted June 28, 2004 12:04 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Adam, so what's the crappiest theatre in town???

Paul P. Meyers

- posted June 28, 2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a saturday midnight show with a 3/4+ house at the Landmark Main Art (still standing!) in Royal Oak Mich. Also I just visited Michael Moores web site were he is posting tons of pictures of people standing in line to see it, as well as inside theatre shots. There are also comments sent in by posters describing the packed crowds. The whole thing is very interesting from a sociological standpoint as a study of mass behaviour, aside from the political aspects. This also shows that theatres and movies are still alive and not dead by dvd etc. (or the internet as well). I recall a book which I will have to find the title of that dealt with the history of early cinema audiences and the notion of the theatre as "political space", or a place where the citizenry can gather for reasons other than entertainment. Hey I like this new feature where you can post and read the thread at the same time. Cool feature Adam! [thumbs up]

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 28, 2004 06:12 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the luxury of seeing it at the Arclight this past weekend for free. The crowd really got into it and all the seats were taken. Not one available.

Congrats on breaking records for top grossing opening for a Doc., and top grossing Doc of all time.

Anyhow, Adam, whats the crappiest theatre in town? [Shrug]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted June 28, 2004 07:13 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to see it this past weekend with some friends, but it was sold out of all showings. We were in SF, and the AMC 1000 Van Ness was like 2 doors down from our hotel room. Saturday night, as of 7:30 all evening showings were sold out except for a 12:15 showing AMC added to handle the crowd. Sunday, at 2:30 PM the 7:30 and 8:30 showings were already sold out. By the time we all got together and decided to see it (around 6:30 PM) all the evening showings were sold out.

Eric Hooper

- posted July 02, 2004 10:38 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
All 4 theatres showing it in SF have been sold out EVERY evening since it opened! 3 of them megaplexes which were able to add shows at the last minute, but have still sold out all the extra added shows. And the Empire has a stupid policy of rotating movies around on its 3 screens during the week, so they put 9/11 in a small theatre Mon-Thur. Of course, it sold out very quick. And then there's the 1200 seat Coronet showing Dodgeball to an empty house. What a waste...

Dave Felthous

- posted July 03, 2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
In Seattle it opened at a half dozen theaters on 6/25, and a couple more were added yesterday (7/2). Many of the original venues got second prints this week. Last weekend at one suburban 8plex the lines encircled the building, with the end of the line eventually meeting the head of the line.I'm a former newspaper person and I find it intruging that with only half of 2004 gone there have already been two movies that have generated news beyond the entertainment pages -- "The Passion" and "Farenheit."

Dan Roben

- posted July 03, 2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Also a first in Seattle is that Landmark now has three theaters showing "911" all located in the University District within 5 blocks of each other (Neptune, Varsity and Metro Cinemas).

Chris Utley

- posted July 13, 2004 05:32 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it during my St. Louis trip last week at the Wehrenberg Jamestown Mall 14. For a 10:00 PM show during midweek, the theatre was pretty crowded. And...it was full of young people who were really into the film. When the credits rolled, I took it upon myself to yell out "Y'all better vote this fall!" One guy responded favorably.

Tom Mundell

- posted July 14, 2004 06:25 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen this yet, but it seems to be doing alright. AMC Framingham keeps moving this into a larger auditorium each week, and is now in their largest. I haven't seen it sell out yet though, at least not while I was there.

Ron Newman

- posted April 24, 2006 05:38 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD for this film includes a short subject entitled 'Release of Fahrenheit 9/11'. In the middle of this short is a montage of many classic movie theatre façades and marquees from around the country, all featuring Fahrenheit 9/11 on them. I wrote down a list, and it would be fun to match them with their cities:

Academy of Music (1 screen) - perhaps Northampton, MA?
Hyatt Cinemas (3)
River Oaks (2?)
Tower Theatre (2?) (marquee says "Save Tower Theatre" "SaveTheTowerTheatre.org", so it must be Sacramento, CA)
Art (1)
Westwood Crest (1) - Los Angeles, CA
Chez Artiste (3) - free-standing sign, not a marquee
Oxford (1)
Neptune (1) - probably Seattle, WA
Michigan - probably Ann Arbor, MI
Ziegfeld (1) - New York, NY
Grand Lake (4) - Oakland, CA

The Grand Lake marquee has a notice that the theatre will not enforce the "R" rating for Fahrenheit 9/11. The theatre owner is interviewed and talks about why he thinks young people need to see this movie.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 24, 2006 08:01 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hyatt is in Burlingame, CA.
River Oaks is in Calumet City, IL.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.