CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Largest abandoned single screen theatres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Largest abandoned single screen theatres
Mike Law

- posted June 05, 2004 11:23 AM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay gang, it's time for a new topic...I'm not talking about HUGE theatres like Loews Kings, so let's try to keep it under 2,500 seats.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 05, 2004 04:16 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Abandoned as boarded up and rotting?

Not the ones being used as churches or retail, right?

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted June 05, 2004 07:28 PM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly the former VENETIAN in Milwaukee at originally 1430, but probably only the balcony seating remains. Closed and boarded up for almost ten years now, since the city doesn't want to pay for the brown fields costs of clean-up and demolition, but one day some portion of the exterior will collapse into the street and they will take action. It is in a 'decayed' part of town, so everyone pretends not to notice. Stoped showing movies in 1954; last used as a liquor store in the lobby. Was an atmospheric by Peacock & Frank.

Mike Law

- posted June 05, 2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, abandoned as in dark.

Eric Hooper

- posted June 05, 2004 09:05 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Lorenzo Theatre, San Lorenzo, CA

Closed since 1982. Just sitting there...

http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=11490

Roger Katz

- posted June 06, 2004 05:17 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
The largest abandoned ones in Connecticut are the Majestic and Palace theatres in Bridgeport, but I think these are the kinds of Loews palaces that you are not talking about.

William Hooper

- posted June 14, 2004 12:22 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...I'm not talking about HUGE theatres like Loews Kings, so let's try to keep it under 2,500 seats.

That's not fair; it excludes the Chicago Uptown almost twice.

Mike Law

- posted June 14, 2004 06:21 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw come on Hoops... aren't there any shuttered old gems in
Ala-bam that you know of?

Mark Sachleben

- posted June 25, 2004 06:10 PM      Profile for Mark Sachleben   Email Mark Sachleben         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an abandoned palace in Saginaw, Michigan known as the Temple. Unfortunately it does not meet your requirements because it seats around 2800. It has been empty for about four years now, and at last report, the roof has begun to leak because the heat/AC has been shut off.

Jim Rankin

- posted June 26, 2004 06:06 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Cinema Treasures site, the TEMPLE in Saginaw has been restored and is open. Wonder what the real story is. See: http://cinematreasures.org/theater/1692/

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 26, 2004 12:06 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
The Temple in Saginaw is indeed open. The number is (989) 754-7469.

William Hooper

- posted June 29, 2004 10:54 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the most interesting large closed theatre in Alabama is the Montgomery Theatre. Martin McCaffery has a picture of it on his page:
http://martinmc.home.mindspring.com/Altheatres/mont.html

It may be that the theatre was built before 1860 as mentioned on that page: I seem to remember a mention of Sol Smith playing there before Ludlow & Smith went into business together. The cast iron drip caps over the windows look like some typical of a Mississippi ironworks which closed down during the Civil War & never re-opened, 1860 is cutting it close. There's also a mention on that page of s a local story that the song "Dixie" was first performed there, which is wrong -- the words to "Dixie" are written on the wall there somewhere, most likely so somebody could learn them, not because they were composed there or something. "Dixie", "Stars Fell on Alabama", "Georgia On My Mind", & "Way Down Upon The Swanee River" were written by songwriters mostly associated with the professional songwriters of Tin Pan Alley in New York City, & first performed up there.

There are a number of closed single screens in New Orleans, the first which comes to mind is the Joy on Canal Street. It's listed as the Joy 5 here, but as far as I know it was always a single & last a triple with 2 in the balcony & the main screen still a single on the floor.

Mike Law

- posted July 01, 2004 09:31 AM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoops, what in the world is a drip cap???

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted July 01, 2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
A drip cap is a (usually metal) sill over an exterior doorway that sticks out about an inch and keeps water from seeping in from the top by directing the water away from the door.

Jim Rankin

- posted July 02, 2004 09:32 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
Drip Caps are not just simple metal ridges, but in period architecture they were heavily ornamented and then sometimes called "hoods" which appeared over windows as well as doors. These were often of carved stone and were especially popular in Tudor and Gothic themes. A very elaborate form was called the "Accolade" and was in an ogee shape often with crockets and mouldings, and sometimes ran down the sides of the opening as well. You will see them in some movie palaces, and there is even an Art Moderne version over both the inner and outer doors in the 1938 VARSITY here in Milwaukee (I forgot to mention them in my description for CinemaTreasures.org, and they don't allow corrections/additons, unfortunately).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.