CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Best Cinemas of 2004 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best Cinemas of 2004
Chris Utley

- posted February 12, 2004 10:28 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The only "dumpy" Regals I know in LA have the letters "U" and "A" attached to them! As far as the OC goes, I predict the Edwards Westpark 8 in Irvine, Edwards Triangle Square in Costa Mesa and Edwards Tustin Marketplace 6 to be the next to go. I'd love to see Edwards Island 7 in Newport Beach get put out of it's misery...or converted to a stadium! I've only been there twice...2 times too many!!!

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Eisentraut

- posted February 18, 2004 07:51 AM      Profile for Jeff Eisentraut   Email Jeff Eisentraut         Edit/Delete Post 
Old Theatre Refurbished: The Fabulous Fox in St. Louis. Just took the tour which included Stan Kann on the Organ. WOW.

Saddest Closing: River Hills/Riviera in Des Moines Iowa. Went to the final showing about two years ago. 70'Curved Cinerama Screen. 70mm

Old Theatre still hangin on: Mine. The Orpheum Theatre in Hillsboro Illinois. Build in 1920. Balcony twinned in the 80s.
Great Marquee. Business is strong.

Memorable Moments: Flood of Plantation Drive-in in Des Moines Iowa (now closed)....Three Armed robberies (two at drive-in and one at Fleur 4 in Des Moines) many, many more...

Chris Utley

- posted March 05, 2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas! I finally found an Edwards that I like!

Edwards Aliso Viejo 20 (off the 73 Tollway in South Orange County). No IMAX or mega auditoriums like Irvine Spectrum. But much much bigger than MetroPointe, Island 7 or even the other 18 theatres at Spectrum. I think I've found an early nominee for this year's Best/Recently Discovered Cinema!

Jeff Arellano

- posted March 06, 2004 07:57 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I enjoy the Edwards Rennisance 14 in Alhambra. No theme, no IMAX, great size auditoriums (Still havent been in the big houses yet).

And on a side note: Edwards closed recently the Temple 4 that has been around since the early 80's....

Chris Utley

- posted March 07, 2004 12:01 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The best Edwards'es in the whole So Cal (that I've seen):

Big Newport

Brea 22 (the 10 plex on the left side is the best. It's bigger than the 12 plex on the right)

Ontario Palace 22 (they must have had a post Irvine Spectrum meeting and discovered how to improve on a winning concept. Their big house, The Grand Palace, is a sight to behold!)

The big 4 & Imax room at Irvine Spectrum

Valencia Grand Palace (all of the auditoriums there are WIDE WIDE WIDE! Went there once while staying overnight at Magic Mountain)

And...now...Aliso Viejo 20.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted March 20, 2004 07:26 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Saddest closing/demolition
For me that would be the demolition of the Sunnyside Drive-In. I went there a LOT when it was open!

quote:
The only "dumpy" Regals I know in LA have the letters "U" and "A" attached to them!
Same goes for Central California, as well. They have an 8 plex in Clovis that really should be put out of it's misery. It's your typical 1980's UA "shoebox" build, and has really been "outbuilt" by newer theaters. (Projection-wise, it's dollar-theater quality at first run prices!)

The *really* crummy UA's closed down years ago when UA was bankrupt. All but the Manchester Mall twin have been converted into other things by now, most recently a dumpy old 4-plex was converted into a motorcycle dealership.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 07, 2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I think everybody should run out to the worst theatre in their town (usually the one that's next to close) and take pictures of it from top to bottom.

That's worth the price of admission, to laugh and wonder at how nasty theatres stay open.

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 07, 2004 05:56 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Scott, cant do that:

AMC Montebello was remodeled and looks great.

Edwards closed the Monterey Mall 3 ages ago.

The Edwards 4 in Temple City recently closed.

There are no more bad theatres around here. The only one that I can think of that is still open is the Commerce 14, and I dont know what that looks like since I havent been there since they added the 7 stadium theatres.

I guess the honor would be the old Century 9 in NoHo.

Rachel Gilardi

- posted April 08, 2004 03:39 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as Wisconsin theaters go, so far my favorite is the Regal in Appleton. Although they tend to have major sound problems with their pre-show every time we go there. The actual film presentation is always good and I love their lobby! All purple neon!!!! [Smile]

In Massachusetts I always liked the Showcase in Woburn, maybe I have the neon fetish...?

I also really like the Salem, MA Patriot Cinemas - not because it's a particularly nice theater (its a really small not perfectly well kept 3 screen) but it has a lot of history and the staff is always very nice. Yes, I used to work there! I guess it's a personal preference.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 09, 2004 02:05 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
The Century 8 is not one of Century's best theatres... but they did get new seats recently.

And come on -- like there aren't plenty of Edwards left down there similar to the Temple... Charter Centre maybe? There are plenty of bad theatres in LA... and when I think of one -- I'll post it. [Shrug]

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 09, 2004 11:42 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes! The Foothill Center 10 is still open. It is independent now. I remember years ago the corridor that takes you to the theatre smelled like piss. Maybe I will do this one day.

Bill Gabel

- posted April 10, 2004 07:39 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The worst UA's in the Southern California area were the Egyptian 2 & 3 in Hollywood and the UA Capitol in Glendale.

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 11, 2004 07:57 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Egyptian 2/3 were Mann Theatres.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 11, 2004 07:20 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think everybody should run out to the worst theatre in their town (usually the one that's next to close) and take pictures of it from top to bottom.

If only I had a time machine, I could go back and take pictures of the UA Northgate (Sad to think that groovy orange and red plaid carpet and fake wood color formica is gone forever...) and the UA Manchester Mall, which were the dumpiest theatres in town. The Manchester Mall was an especially bad sub-run with filthy seats and horrible projection. Well, if I really had a time machine I could just go back to when it was a GCC theatre since it probably didn't become a dump until UA got ahold of it! [Roll Eyes]

Dave Felthous

- posted April 12, 2004 09:14 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be too quick to blame UA. I was a GCC checker years ago and the theaters in my area were mostly dumps even when they were fairly new. We had two UAs here and in their hey-day they were good and very popular, although one had mono sound and local managers could never get corporate to install Dolby. This was a downtown house and at the time had the highest prices in the whole area. UA abandoned this market a long time ago. (The people who leased the mono house ran it as a sub-run but put in analog Dolby. Go figure!)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.