CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Best Cinemas of 2004 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best Cinemas of 2004
Paul P. Meyers

- posted February 06, 2004 11:35 AM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
Name your best or favorite of last year..
New cinema opened
Old theatre refurbished
Saddest closing/demolition
Most promising revival of a cinema
Old Cinema still hanging on
Memorable moments in a theatre
Or name your own topic

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted February 07, 2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
New cinema opened: None.
There has not been a new cinema built in Connecticut in a few years, although that should change this year with 4 new ones planned.

Old theatre refurbished: Showtime Cinemas, Newburgh, NY.
This 10-plex was basically a ruin as you can see from the tour page. Once the website gets updated you will see how nice the outside looks now.

Saddest closing/demolitions: 1. Southington Drive-In, Southington, CT
The Southington acrually showed its final movie in 2002, but its closing was not announced until it failed to reopen for spring 2003. It is going to be made into athletic fields for the town, but they will save the screen to show movies in the park.

2. State Theatre, Jewett City, CT
The Jewett City Cinemas closed down in April. Built as the State in 1939, it later was twinned. Future plans are unknown, but a 12-screen multiplex is being built 5 minutes up the road. Not a good sign.

Most promising revival of a cinema: Avon Theatre, Stamford, CT
This didn't actually reopen until this week, but 95% of the work was done in 2003 in its $1 million restoration. Look for photos of the interior when the next website update occurs. this place looks spectacular!

Old Cinema still hanging on: Country Cinema. Watertown, CT.
I'm not sure how they stay in business. The seats are broken, the screen has holes in it, the projection and management are god-awful. But it is the only classic single screen theatre remaining in Northern Connecticut.

Theatres that will reopen in 2004:
Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT - as a live performance theatre attached to a magnet school.

Berkshire Music Hall, Pittsfield, MA - as a live performance theatre and also will show movies. Look for photos in the next website update.

[ February 07, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Roger Katz ]

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 08, 2004 07:48 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
New cinema opened -
AMC Burbank 16. There were not a lot of openings in Los Angeles in 2003, but the 16 set a new standard. Such a nice theatre.

Old theatre refurbished

AMC Burbank 14 - Across the street from the 16, it closed on a thursday, and the 16 opened the next day. It was gutted and torn down by the end of summer.

Mann Puente 6 - Finally after sitting empty for 4 years, it has been gutted and waiting transformation into a Staples store.

In Pasadena, the Warners is supposedly being refurbished still. Its lobby is an antique store still but the inside is being done.

In a weird note - AMC Puente Plaza 10. Closed back in 1998 when AMC Puente 20 Opened, it still is up standing. I would have thought that this would have been torn down by now (The other 2 Theatres there were torn down (AMC 4 and AMC 6).

Pacific Hastings 5. Old and decrepid looking. I predict that this will close by November this year (AMC is opening a new 16 plex about 3 miles away)

Chris Utley

- posted February 09, 2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeff...does the new AMC Burbank have all 3 digital sound formats or are they STILL exclusively carrying SDDS? The #1 reason why I won't go to any AMC's in Orange County is because it's SDDS or bust! Regal/Edwards is a bit more flexible in the sound department.

Tom Mundell

- posted February 10, 2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre I'm most delighted to see close: Loews Theatres in Natick, MA.

In the quasi-recently upgraded theatre I've been meaning to check out for some time now: The two screen in downtown Plymouth, NH. Supposedly they upgraded the sketchy mono sound to Dolby Digital, and they did a great job restoring the marquee. (I don't know if this was 2002 or 2003)

The new AMC Burbank 16, does this have the usual AMC non-perforated screens forcing them to hang the speakers on the ceiling? (ugh, that sounds aweful)

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted February 10, 2004 06:35 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite of last year: Lorraine, Hoopeston, IL, where I saw "Matrix Reloaded". HPS-4000 sound. The Lorraine has assigned seating, so I buy my ticket, specify my seat, and the usher says "Are you SURE you want to sit this close?" HECK yeah.

New Cinema Opened: Cinemark American Fork, UT...largely because it was the ONLY new theatre I saw a movie at last year.

Old Cinema Still Hanging On: Merle Hay Cinema, Des Moines, our big ol' single screen monster with THX certification (Dolby Digital EX). If you're still looking for a solid cinema experience for the last Lord of the Rings movie, they're still running it to nearly 800 empty seats.

Memorable Moments in a Theatre: Can't remember what the movie was, but it was playing on two screens, and my wife and I were the only ones to go to the right auditorium. So the trailers start up, and two trailers before the actual movie started, apparently somebody figured this out and a stampede of movie patrons came running into the room all at once.

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 10, 2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I will have to ask the managers there the next time I go there. I know back at the old 14, they had SDDS, Dolby Digital and DTS in the Big 4 houses. I still know some managers there. I know AMC Covina has DTS and Dolby Digital EX in the big 4 theatres, but rarely uses DTS and Dolby Digital EX

AS for the perforated screen question, good question. I have only ever been in teh big houses, so I dont know.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 10, 2004 08:51 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy that the perimiter walls of the AMC 14 in Burbank are still standing. I hope it's still there next week when I go down so I can take pictures during the daylight. It's really something to see. Especially because the 16 isn't ACROSS THE STREET... it's on the other side of the sidewalk from where the 14 stood.

Name your best or favorite of last year..
The theatre that gave me the biggest thrill would have to have been the Fox Westwood, finally saw a movie there. It was pretty swank.

New cinema opened
Century opened a fairly interesting 14-Plex in Walnut Creek, CA. I like it a lot, one of the greater departures from the regular Century way of furnishing a theatre.

Old theatre refurbished
The Rialto Cinemas in Santa Rosa? [Razz]

Of last year? They tore down my baby! The poor poor Washington Square Discount Cinema 5. *sniffle* [Frown]

ooooh I'll pay better attention next year.

I'm very pleased to see the CineArts 5 @ Pleasant Hill hang in there. I love the dome, glad to see it stick around.

Chris Utley

- posted February 10, 2004 09:17 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
No new cinema openings...although we moved further down the Orange Curtain and got introduced to the very disappointing Edwards MetroPointe 12 in Costa Mesa. How can a uber-luxurious mall like South Coast Plaza contain such a cramped and bland movie theatre?

No refurbishings.
No disappointing closings.

As far as cinema revivals go, I heard a rumor that Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 was about to upgrade (again) with more screens. If so, I hope they're bigger than the Stadiums-In-A-Box that they have now in their regular auditoriums! If my movie of choice ain't playing in the IMAX room or one of the big 4 Stadiums, I won't go there!

Old Cinema Hanging On:
I have 2:
1. Edwards Big Newport: It's been around forever but I first went in 2000. Once I moved to OC in 2002, I made it my regular spot. It's so majestic! It's the closest thing to Grauman's Chinese that's south of Hollywood!

2. Cinerama Dome: Absoultely the greatest movie auditorium I have ever had the pleasure of watching a film in. Did a lot of retro stuff at the Dome last year including "How The West Was Won" in 3 Strip Cinerama, "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in 70MM Ultra Panavision, "Aliens-The Director's Cut" and...

Memorable Moments In A Theatre:

...The LOTR Trilogy at The Dome!!! I didn't make the marathon, but I saw "Fellowship Of The Ring" on December 5, "The Two Towers" on the 12th, and "Return Of The King" on the 19th. To see That Trilogy in That Theatre for 3 straight Sundays is one of the greatest moments in my film watching career! Arclight Cinemas has a tradition where they show the newly crowned Best Picture in the Dome the Monday following the Oscars. When (and I do mean WHEN!!!) ROTK wins, I will be there Monday morning with bells on!

Chuck Cook

- posted February 10, 2004 11:34 PM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
Old cinema hanging on: Elk Rapids Cinema, Elk Rapids, MI

This gem's now in it's 64th year in business, and the cool thing is that they're CONSTANTLY remodeling. They've recently put up a new roof and they're planning to install new seating soon. Look at their auditorium now, and there's a TON of missing seats due to deterioration. They also plan to repaint their mural ("The World's Largest Blacklight Seating Mural") because of all the damage created by the leaky roof. In recent years, they've added a new sound system and added a platter system to their projector.

Ron Pierce

- posted February 11, 2004 08:18 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
The Edwards Hutton Center 8 in Santa Ana, California Closed in September. When it opened in 1988, it was for its time a great movie-going experience. It had about seven good years before a noisier audience took over and it became almost impossible to enjoy the show. After graffiti began to appear on the restroom mirrors and Edwards opened the Spectrum 21, I never went back. The location is probably to small for it to be expanded and updated to stadiums.

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 11, 2004 08:29 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I enjoy that the perimiter walls of the AMC 14 in Burbank are still standing. I hope it's still there next week when I go down so I can take pictures during the daylight. It's really something to see. Especially because the 16 isn't ACROSS THE STREET... it's on the other side of the sidewalk from where the 14 stood.
It used to be a street. [Big Grin]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 12, 2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Right -- where the 16 is NOW it used to be the middle of the street.

Chris Utley

- posted February 12, 2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully Regal/Edwards will convert Hutton Centre to something larger (and stadium seated) to compliment the very very very small MetroPointe 12. That theatre is so small, evening shows sell out an hour before the actual showtime! South Coast Plaza definitely needs a bigger theatre to handle all it's traffic!

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 12, 2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal needs to close a load of their dumpy theatres first. There are so many old theatres that are just past their prime.....its not even funny

And the street is the sidewalk. Look and see. The 16 used to be an alley and parking lot. my car was hit in that parking lot by an old armenian lady who just bought a BMW 2 hours before she hit my parked car. ahhh the memories

I have some pictures of the inside concession stand for the old 14 before they remodeled it in 1997

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.