HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Cinema fan in York, England

Author Topic: Cinema fan in York, England
Ron Keillor

- posted January 26, 2004 09:03 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor         Edit/Delete Post 
from Ananova:

Cinema decor fan visits Odeon eights times-a-week

A York man with an obsession for Odeon cinemas says he goes to study the decor and not to watch films.

Derek Atkins visits an Odeon cinema eight times a week and has done so since 1988.

The 48-year-old worked for Odeon as an usher and projectionist, and pays an annual visit to the grave of the chain's founder, Oscar Deutsch, in Birmingham.

He said: "My fascination with the Odeon has turned into an obsession. I sit in the cinemas from when the curtains first part to when they close again.

"It's very rare I actually watch the films, as I like to scrutinise the interior of the building and make mental notes for research purposes. I can tell instantly if there is a chip out of the paint.

"If I can't see a film at the Odeon I won't go and see it."

Derek, who is the publicity officer for the Mercia Cinema Society, has visited all 97 Odeon sites in the country and plans to write a book from his research on their architecture, says the York Evening Press.

Story filed: 13:57 Monday 26th January 2004

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted January 26, 2004 12:48 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Now THAT is obsessive.

Paul P. Meyers

- posted January 26, 2004 02:04 PM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of obsesive cinema goers, there was this documentary I saw a couple of years ago called "Cinemania" about 5 New Yorkers who go to movies 3-4 + times a day!. The people profiled were scary bordering on psychotic. Maybe one of our New York based members might have had an encounter with one of them. You can go to <cinemaniamovie.com> for the official website. The documentary was very cheap looking and might have been financed by German television, not very good but interesting in a disturbing way. One of the best scenes was with a theatre manager who had to ban one of these "cinemaniacs" after being physically attacked!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.