HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » surround sound

Author Topic: surround sound
Roger Katz

- posted November 23, 2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a question which may seem stupid, but bear in mind I know little about the technical details of showing a film. What are all those speakers positioned at the sides and rear of the auditorium for? I know stereo or surround sound or whatever it is is supposed to be better than mono. Frankly, I can't hear any difference. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard any sound coming out of the surround speakers.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 23, 2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Surround speakers are for special effects only. If you hear screen dialog coming out of them, the sound system is set up wrong.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 23, 2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Surrounds are also used for music.

Eric Hooper

- posted November 24, 2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Surround speakers are for special effects only. If you hear screen dialog coming out of them, the sound system is set up wrong.
As is the case with most older UA's... [Uh-oh]

Mark Lensenmayer

- posted November 24, 2003 01:55 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer         Edit/Delete Post 
As digital has become the norm, with both left and right surround channels, the sound mixers are using the surrounds more and more. The latest Matrix movie has something in the surrounds almost constantly. Something like Love, Actually has very little surround action. Depends on the film, but almost everything I've heard lately has at least some surround activity.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted November 25, 2003 12:49 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As is the case with most older UA's...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the surround speakers at one UA here in town are for decorative purposes only. Back when I had no sense I saw a couple movies at that theater and never heard anything from the surrounds. I wonder if they put empty speaker boxes on the walls to make it *appear* as if they had surround sound!

John H. Colvin

- posted January 25, 2005 08:18 AM      Profile for John H. Colvin   Email John H. Colvin         Edit/Delete Post 
As is the case with most older UA's...

Having worked for United Artists Theatres for Over 20 years I do take offence in that comment. MAny of the "older" theatres do have "older" sound systems many probably not updated. But that was a big thing back in the "old" days was to "matrix" the sound so all sound was heard in all speakers and yes it sucked.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.