CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Weird Cinema Dreams (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Weird Cinema Dreams
Chuck Cook

- posted November 13, 2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the weirdest dream you've ever had about a cinema? Reason why I'm asking is because I had one last night.

I dreamt that I was at the Vogue Theatre in Manistee, MI (NOTE: I've never been there before in my life, though I know that it's a two screener on two floors) and went into the bottom auditorium. It was small, and it only had maybe 20 seats. To make things stranger, the screen was a 50's model TV, and the previews were all flat-screened. Suddenly, the main attraction starts to show, and the screen automatically expands, but the white part doesn't. So, seeing as though the screen's only 13", I move the frames myself.

Yours?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Law

- posted November 14, 2003 12:31 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck, you have WAY too much time on your hands. I'm surprised that you didn't tell us that your dream was in Cinemascope. Does anyone out there know of a good shrink???

Chuck Cook

- posted November 15, 2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, my dream was on flat screen [Smile] As for shrinks, there's too many who are jerks, IMO, thanks to the Dr. Phils and Dr. Lauras of this world.

OK, back to the topic...

I had another dream last night. This time, I dreamt that I was at the grand opening of a now-defunct six-screener in 1980 that was showing a then modern era version of "The Matrix". The theatre that was showing the film was so crowded, that I was seated right in front of the HUMONGOUS screen. All of the sound came from the screen, and it wa LOUD. So loud, I was able to find another seat. Oddly enough, two people brought their parrots to the show. Strange.

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted November 15, 2003 04:18 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
This IS a strange topic, but then I guess that I'm a strange 'theatres nut' too, for I also had a Theatres Dream not once but several times. It was unnerving because after several nights of this I was convinced that there was a giant movie palace somewhere in Milwaukee that I had overlooked, and in my dream I toured it and marveled at the huge balcony, the gorgeous decor and the large cinemascope screen the width of the proscenium arch. This must have been before 1986 when "Milwaukee Movie Palaces" came out (now out of print but available through Inter-Library Loan) wherein author Larry Widen listed all the places that showed films, and of the 21 movie palaces, none where where I thought my 'dream theatre' was, alas. Prior to that time, such information I was able to get was sketchy, though I did supply what I had to Larry for his book, but I never could quite shake that image of a 5000-seater with the most gorgeous illuminated grilles (I just won a cash award from Theatre Historical Soc. ( www.HistoricTheatres.org ) for writing about them) and the most lavish draperies one can imagine. I guess it is a matter of the then unfulfilled craving for a glorious theatre at opening in the 20s such as none of us have experienced, sad to say.

Paul P. Meyers

- posted December 02, 2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 4 or 5 part dream last night and 3 parts involved cinemas. Why of course I don't know. Here is what I remember from this multiplex-dream.

1) I am in the middle of a full audience watching a film in a boxy rectangular theatre. Something, either an interuption in the projection of or something on screen makes the audience stir about, or start a discussion, also the lights are on or at least it is bright enough to know where I am. Flavor Flav, member of the old rap group Public Enemy, is sitting a few rows behind me, and says something. I agree with his sentiment about the movie, but I don't remember what he said.

2) I am floating or walking up a very wide and ornate hallway with plush red/orange walls and couches. It looks like a Kubrick movie. At the top of this hallway which goes up vertically, there is an entrance to a elaborate theatre not necessarily for movies only. An audience is leaving a preview or premiere. A teenage girl grumbles about the film, something about not liking the end, a boy dies (maybe young or teenage), "why did he (have to?) die?" Was it a sappy story with a bad ending? As I watched the audience file out I knew the story of the film was based on a story written by Philip K. Dick, so the ending was to be expected.

3) I am outside a large office tower on a street. There is a crowd lined up for a screening. There is something else they could go in for as well. Knowing that only people for the screening might only be let in, I go up to the attendant and without saying anything just go in to a big empty office lobby. In the middle of the floor is a pile of large posters for Ray Milland in "X - The Man with the X-Ray Eyes". A woman in the crowd for the premier asks if I would trade passes with her.

[Shrug]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted December 02, 2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I work in movie theaters every day, so I have lots of dreams about them. Mostly nightmares, though. [Roll Eyes]

Arthur Allen

- posted November 03, 2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally registered just so I could respond to this thread. Who knew other people dreamed about movie theaters?

I have dreamt about drive-in theaters before and after I started researching them. Often I dream about theaters more rustic or multi-screened than those I have found in real life.

This week I dreamed about a theater that must have been based on a visit to the Rodeo Drive-In of Port Orchard, WA. Two years ago I went to see a double bill on screen 3, but noticed that Pirates of the Caribbean was showing on the main screen against a surreal backdrop of a full moon shining through rippled clouds. What an amazing experience it would have been to see that movie there that night, but I was already committed to see different movies. This week I dreamed I was back at the same theater, but the trees behind the screen were covered in snow and the edge of the screen was matted in ice. It was the perfect setting for seeing The Polar Express, or whatever winter-themed movie was showing. It didn’t even seem uncomfortably cold. Not long into watching this I thought I saw lightning striking the theater’s power supply, though it could have been the iced over transmission wires shorting out. The sparks seemed to happen rapidly in groups, like a machine gun fire. It slightly dimmed the screen image, but really affected the sound. Finally after a few cycles of this the operators managed to shut off the equipment and I soon woke up. It turned out I snored myself awake and incorporated it into the dream.

(I hadn't checked Rodeo's winter web page when I wrote this post. Little did I know they have posted a picture on the front page which closely illustrates my dream.)

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 04, 2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I often have dreams/nightmares where I am supposed to be working a booth shift at a theatre, but I'm just filling in, so none of their equipment is familiar. I can't find the show schedule, and I don't know where all their projectors are because it's a really odd shaped building.

So I spend the whole "shift" in my dream trying to figure all this stuff out and just can't. So I wake up -- tired -- and thinking I've already been to work.

Terribly depressing dream.

Michael Furlinger

- posted November 04, 2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Michael Furlinger   Email Michael Furlinger         Edit/Delete Post 
This theater is for sale maybe it meant you should buy it> [thumbs up] [thumbs up]

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted November 04, 2004 07:44 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had LOTS of these. For instance, there's this one where I'm in the lobby, and I keep seeing this skinny guy in a black T-shirt sneaking around and taking pictures of me.

Oh wait... [Razz]

I had this dream a year or so ago.

I buy my ticket and open the auditorium door. But it's not an auditorium at all. It's a bedroom. A great big bright bedroom with a huge bed complete with a high canopy. There is the usual bedroom furniture, including a few chairs. Between the bed and the floor, there's space for about 50, and the show is sold out.

The "screen" is a color television sitting on a dresser. I believe there were bookshelf speakers mounted on the wall. Maybe.

About the only thing I recall about the actual show is the lights never dimmed, and I think I kept by the door and left pretty quickly.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 05, 2004 11:42 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Another dream I've had is where I'm obviously on vacation, and I'm going to see a movie at some theatre cause I want to take pictures.

So I buy a ticket and I go into the auditorium but the theatre is carved up funny, but it's still just one auditorium. The same movie is playing on 3-4 different screens, at different angles, inside this maze of an auditorium. So I spend the rest of my dream trying to figure out HOW all these images make it to each screen, out of a projector port that doesn't face any of them, and there are clearly no mirrors. Then whilst doing that, I try to figure out the history of the theatre, as in, WHY IN THE WORLD?!?!?!?!? Would anybody do that to a theatre.

That's a distressing dream.

Scott Norwood

- posted November 06, 2004 05:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
You people are weird! [Razz]

The only cinema dream/nightmare that I have had is the usual locked-out-of-the-booth-and-about-to-miss-a-changeover one. Fun!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted November 06, 2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
Been there, done that, climbed through the port window. For real, not a dream.

I was about 10 at the time, I don't think there's a chance in hell of me fitting through a port window these days.

Chad Irish

- posted November 10, 2004 10:34 PM      Profile for Chad Irish   Email Chad Irish         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had alot of cinema dream/nightmare [evil devil] that were so weird, but my last weird cinema dream was just last night. I was dreaming of a Cineplex in Toronto Canada that I visited for real back in the late 90's. It was a cinema that had 21 screens which is has been closed for over 7 years now.
Some of the theaters had rear projection in them, somthing you dont see to much anymore.
So in this dream I had I think the theater had something like 666 screens. Some of the cinemas where so small that it could only hold up to 4 people, something like an 8 X 8 bedroom and some of the cinemas had 3 screens playing 3 movies on each screen all at the same time so it was very hard to watch all of the movies at once.
But thats not the weird part of this dream. In this dream there was nobody working there, I think it was run by some evil computers. The funny thing was the only way to buy your ticket was to put coins in a tin can, but in order to see a movie on one of the 666 screens you had to press a button on a computer and then hop into something like a roller coaster just to get to the cinema you wanted to go to. I think the theater was called Cineplex 666 " The Cinema From Hell" [evil devil]
I must of had way to much to drink that night.
[Big Grin]

Paul Rosenberry

- posted December 04, 2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Paul Rosenberry   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Rosenberry         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny that so many people have had dreams of auditoriums with the movie showing on TV's. I had one as well when I first started the business. I was dreaming I finally got my own theater and was being given the tour. The main auditorium was a luxurious red carpeted affair but instead of rows of theater seats it had dozens of elaborate and plush chairs arranged around the room, facing a black & white TV.

I had another one where I was selling tickets to the movie but instead there was a 3-ring circus in the lobby. I'm sure there's some symbolism in THAT one.

Another where U2 played on my small concrete stage. Ironically, I later ended up playing Rattle & Hum in that house.

Another where everything was falling apart. I had to crawl hands and knees through the rigging behind the screen to grab a piece of curtain that had rotted and was dangling in the way of the movie, then had to run a gauntlet through the crowd to get back to the booth because something horrible had happened there too.

A girl I worked with told me one time she woke up from her bed in the middle of the night in a panic because she didn't hear the popcorn popping so it must be burning.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.