CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Movie Theatre Mascots (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movie Theatre Mascots
Paul P. Meyers

- posted November 11, 2003 12:54 PM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC has that ubiquitious dancing film strip (Flippy? Clippy? Strippy?).
Cinemark once used these cartoon cats to promote themselves (and I have the keychains with their faces on to prove it.)
Have other chains or single theatres used characters to promote themselves?

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted November 11, 2003 04:50 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I know Crown Theatres uses that dancing lion that looks like the bastard cub of Simba from the Lion King.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 11, 2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Dickinson Theatres licensed the Popeye characters for a while. Customers absolutely despised it, but I never could figure out why everyone hated it so much.

General Cinemas had that bag-of-popcorn character for a number of years until AMC took over.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 11, 2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC is Clip.
Unauthorized External Link!

GCC was Popcorn Bob:
Unauthorized External Link!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted November 11, 2003 09:27 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to upload pictures to the server to have them displayed.

Click on "Click here to upload an image." beside the "Preview Post" button on the post/edit a reply page.

Chuck Cook

- posted November 11, 2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Clip and Popcorn Bob look the same!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 12, 2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack I will not live in a world where the GCC Popcorn guy had a name...

Mark Richey

- posted November 16, 2003 10:53 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood Theaters, before Wallace bought them out, had a singing movie ticket. Since they owned the biggest theater in my college town, I can still hum the song (though most of the lyrics have vanished from my mind).

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 16, 2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, Hollywood's out-of-control animated Busby Berkeley musical policy trailer ...

Paul P. Meyers

- posted November 19, 2003 01:18 PM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
This collection of mascots sounds like the ideal cast for the next animated masterpiece from Disney. How about having a singing movie ticket, a talking bag of popcorn, a wisecracking filmstrip, a rambunctious film reel, and a band of renegade junior mints, go on a quest to save their small town movie theatre from an unscupulous developer who wants to raze it and build condos. They go to the big city, discover more crazy characters in a massive cinemaplex and save the day. Of course there will be lots of Elton John/Andrew Loyd Webber/Billy Joel/Celine Dion music along the way. I can just picture the happy meal toys as I write this....On their way back home they are run over by Adam as he is cinematouring cross country. [Cool]

Amanda Jones

- posted August 19, 2005 11:53 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinemark Cat was Front Row Joe. I don't know if they still use him or not.

GCC as already stated was Popcorn Guy or as we called him Horny Popcorn after hours of analzing the old candy band trailer.

Kerasotes Theaters has the Kerasotes Fairy. I'm unsure if she has a name but she looks like my complex manager.

John J. Fink

- posted January 18, 2006 09:56 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
And...we can't forget PT Cobbster (I remember him from the Cobb before Regal took them over, is he still used at the new Cobb theaters?) and Splicer from Muvico.

And yes, Amanda- I always laughed at the Candy Band trailer and his reaction after the pepsi kisses him. That trailer went away when GC switched to coke and eventually (only a few months before AMC took over) they had that freeky thing with dancing twizzlers.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 18, 2006 10:13 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't United Artists have Chevy Chase at one time?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 18, 2006 07:44 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
UA seemed to make a new policy trailer anytime somebody sneezed.

But yes -- there was a Chevy Chase trailer, which seemed kinda funny... especially when viewed right before the stupid ESPN SportsCenter one they did.

Brad Miller

- posted January 21, 2006 06:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chevy Chase, Don Rickles, NFL Sports, etc were all trailers paid for by NBC to promote their upcoming shows. Funny thing is that every one of them that UA promoted via a policy trailer failed. I still have mint copies of all of them.

Guess UA was just bad luck. [Wink]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.