Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Cinema Treasures get a big fat upgrade

Author Topic: Cinema Treasures get a big fat upgrade
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted October 07, 2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Our arch enemy, Cinema Treasures, received a hefty upgrade today. Go have a visit and check it out.

Comment here on what stuff you like over there and let me know what you'd like to see here. Keep in mind that I don't have a staff of volunteers to do the work for me!

I'm already working on a search interface and expanding member profiles from the forum, but feel free to mention adding those to Cinematour anyway. [Wink]

(The arch enemy comment was a joke ... we love Cinema Treasures!)

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 07, 2003 10:31 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to be the same website, but with a cleaner more high-tech look. When are they going to get multiple pictures???

Remind me to draft something up tomorrow about that thing we talked about.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted October 08, 2003 04:00 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema... what? (I had never heard of that site before reading this post) Just about the only thing I saw over there that I liked was the ability to sort the theatres by name, city, chain, etc. I found their layout to be a bit confusing, I had to hunt around to find the theatre listings, then there was only one photo per theatre. [Frown] (And their layout looks crappy when displayed through Webtv, which is what I have at home right now.) I do like this site's look a lot better, though, the tours are easy to find and will be even more useful once you get the search function up and running.

Scott Norwood

- posted October 08, 2003 08:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had much luck submitting anything to them. Nor do they seem to take suggestions for additions to the list. Eventually, I gave up.

Agreed that they have some nice search tools, but otherwise their site is a pain to navigate--far too cluttered. It's also missing many good theatres that should be included. I do like the "comments" section for each theatre, where users can post information themselves and have it displayed immediately, althogh it seems that relatively few have actually done this.

Bill Gabel

- posted October 08, 2003 09:58 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had alot of luck submitting theatres to them. I've submitted over 300 theatres to their site plus photos. I work with them mostly on the Southern California theatres and the Fox West Coast and Warner houses.

Adam
Cinematour still has the wrong picture for the World Theatre in Hollywood. Bob Mesa took a picture of the old X twin theatre, which is the property just east of the World Theatre site.
The World Theatre no longer has the marquee, it has a single large door in front on Hollywood Blvd.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted October 08, 2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
That stupid database rollback from months ago strikes again! Do you have an address or other names for this X Twin?

Bill Gabel

- posted October 08, 2003 02:30 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The address you have listed for the World Theatre is the wrong address. That address would place that theatre near Wilcox Street on Hollywood Blvd. The address should read 6035 Hollywood Blvd. for the X-Twin Theatre. That theatre was always known as the X-Twin. It had a large red X sign above the theatre. They played day and date with the Mayan Theatre Downtown.
The World Theatre is located at 6021 Hollywood Blvd.. It opened as the Marcal Theatre #16037, till the late 50's. The Marcal was part of the Fox West Coast Chain at that time.

Charles Van Bibber

- posted October 11, 2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Charles Van Bibber   Email Charles Van Bibber         Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the new site for Cinema Treasures very easy to follow. Their biggest problem I see is that they have some 3800 theatres listed and only around 1600 pictures of their theatre. They also need to have multiple picture features for their theatres as brought out in other replys. They also seem to be very slow at posting new theatres when submitted. You stilll are not able to add pitvcures to new posts or add a picture to a past post that has no picture.

Roger Katz

- posted October 11, 2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think they are slow, try submitting something to Adam! [moon]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted October 11, 2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I resemble that!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 12, 2003 10:07 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
[LOL]
[LOL]
[LOL]
[LOL]

Tee-hee... Roger speaks the truth.

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted November 02, 2003 07:02 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Cinema Treasures ( www.CinemaTreasures.org ) is having growing pains as do most sites. In reality, they are not a competition to Cinema Tour, as some might think, but a compliment, since they will list data that Tour might not. The sites are the result of the different visions/aims of different men, kind of the way most stores have competitors, but each sells in a different way even if the merchandise is much the same.

We should show as much charity as possible to them and others in the field, since each has blessings as well as limitations. They may not have the server space as of yet to show all the photos they want (they do have a new Photos Submission plan in the works), and this is exactly the case with Theatre Historical Society's site ( www.HistoricTheatrs.org ) where it is actually the personal allotment to a professor of the University of Hawaii's web site's server. He is limited to the amount of space allowed to each professor. Sure we all would like to see larger sites, maybe even the entire 30,000-document/photo archive of the Society on-line, but who would pay for that? They are using only two paid personnel and some volunteers to keep control of that vastness, and so creating an electronic catalog is now slowly in the works. Precisely to avoid this mountain of paper, Ross Melnick has intimated to me that they go the electronic route and do not have a mailing address. And as to speed of adding submissions to their site, one must realize the dangers of creating a real-time, open site in this day and age. They have a need to screen what is submitted; THSA sometimes has people upload less-than-serious 'Comments' as a Signature in their Guestbook, and this has caused problems. With the CT site's greater scope, this could cause even greater problems, and this for fellows who must also do their day jobs. As I am sure Adam and his colleagues can tell you, at some point, this 'hobby' can become one's master and eat up all ones free time thus killing their enjoyment -- no doubt the reason they started this in the first place.

Give due appreciation to anyone who takes the initiative, expense, and great effort to start a comprehensive web site today! It is enough to really KNOW theatres; it is almost too much to also expect them to KNOW computer programming as well in all the various features and aspects now becoming available. All sites these days are falling victim to the implied competition among them to use the latest glitzy, server-space-eating, mountian of software that comes down the pike every week. We exist under limitations as to money, space and time -- so must they all.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.