CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » largest abandoned multiplex? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: largest abandoned multiplex?
Daniel Fuentz

- posted November 09, 2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. Usually by the time I come across an abandoned cinema anything worth looting is LONG gone. (Not that I would loot, mind you)

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 09, 2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
The abandoned ones are soo much better because if you can get inside, and not be me and paranoid about it... you can take so many better pictures without having to avoid the management's evil glare.

Joe Redifer

- posted November 09, 2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey... unless there are signs that say "No Trespassing" and "No Looting" then everything is fair game when the cops come! You just say that there was nothing informing you that you couldn't trespass and/or loot. With the politically correct world we live in, they'd have to buy that and let you continue! [Smile]

Mike Rivest

- posted November 10, 2003 04:15 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Rivest         Edit/Delete Post 
Big closings in Canada

Centre Laval 12 (Montreal area) opened with 2 in 1968, 5/1975, 12/1991 (Biggest in Canada in 1991) Closed June 2003 when everyone went to the much bigger Colossus 18 across the Autoroute. [Frown]

Sherway 13 Toronto
opened with 9 screens 1987 13 in 1997 closed nov. 2001 when Cineplex Odeon opened the Queensway 18 down the QEW. [Frown]

Laurentien 12, Québec City
Opened 1995 closed 2001
Closed when Cineplex opened an 16-plex in Ste-Foy and an 14-Plex in Beauport and Famous Players opened Starcité 18 (all 3 are 5-10 minute drive on the Autoroute.)

Canyon Meadows 10 Calgary
Opened 1997 closed by Cineplex Odeon when the landlord padlocked the door for non-payment of rent on July 19, 2001, New owners reopened the theatre on August 1, 2001
This is an Stadium seating theatre. [Smile]

www.movie-theatre.org

Mike Spaeth

- posted November 12, 2003 07:10 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Email Mike Spaeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Long Beach theatre down the street from the Pine Street 16 is a CINEMARK 14, not a Crown. It opens Friday, Nov. 14.

Here in Atlanta, there is a 16 at the Avondale Mall and a 12 in Northeast Atlanta, both were operated by O'Neil before bankruptcy.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 12, 2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure AMC will not pull out of Long Beach. It will cause trouble for both the Pine Square 16 (being a few blocks south)and the Marina Pacifica 12 (only a few miles east) but I would assume they would split product between The Pike and The Pine.

Mark Lensenmayer

- posted November 19, 2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse Stanley has reported to me that the closed Regal 14 on the far east side of Columbus is reopening in December under the Marquee Cinemas banner. This just days after a Columbus Dispatch article on how unsafe this area is becoming!

This location is only about 1 mile from Marcus Pickerington, a very well run 16 plex that pulls in people from miles around. They will be very tough competition.

That will bring the Columbus screen count up to:

AMC - 72 screens in 3 locations
Marcus - 32 screens in 2 locations (+ 1 Imax)
Marquee - 14 screens in 1 location
Regal - 16 screens in 1 location
Faux Cinemark - 36 screens in 3 locations (1 subrun)
Some sub-run chain I can't remember - 8 screens in 1 location
Drexel Theatres (Local)- 12 screens in 3 locations
Studio 35 - 1 screen in 1 location

Jesse Stanley

- posted November 19, 2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Jesse Stanley   Email Jesse Stanley         Edit/Delete Post 
The 8 screen sub run is Cinema City I believe. It is owned by a gentlemen in Canada. It does very little business. AMC is i the planning stage of there new 14 plex they are gonna build next year at Polaris. Ohio State University also has plans to build a theatre on Campus in the future.

Mike Rivest

- posted November 19, 2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Rivest         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema City has 2 8-plexes in Winnipeg and 2 former Cinemark 12-plex in Edmonton.

Jesse Stanley

- posted November 19, 2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Jesse Stanley   Email Jesse Stanley         Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding Cinema City has several Locations but thats about all I know. The Columbus location used to be a Super Saver location originally I believe. It does about 800-1000 on Saturdays and averages 2500-3000 customers a week sometimes more in the summer nowhere near enough business to make anything in subrun business.

Jason Stucky

- posted January 27, 2004 09:33 PM      Profile for Jason Stucky   Email Jason Stucky         Edit/Delete Post 
in the kansas city area there are several multiplexes that are abanded. there is the old bannister mall 6 that they wont let be a movie theater again they want to use it as educational purposes. and then the blue ridge 6 cinemas. there are also others just dont know all of them yet. any idea of how to get bannister mall to let it go back to being a theater?
email me ibooksrule@softhome.net

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted May 06, 2004 10:20 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Abandoned theatres in my area:
Ontario,California:
The Pacific 10(now a church
San Bernardino:
Pacific Inland Center 5
GCC Inland Twin
Carousel 4(once an AMC as the Central City)
Regal Del Rosa 8
AMC Commercecenter 6
Colton:
GCC Rancho 6(still standing with leasing info on the marquee)
Montclair:
GCC Montclair Plaza 8(was a triplex until it expanded to another building behind the triplex in the '70s)
SRO Montclair Triplex(later a 5-plex in the hands of Pacific Theatres)
UA Movies 6
Riverside:
UA Galleria 4@Tyler Mall & UA Park Sierra 6(Both victims of the Regal's buyout of UA)

i know there's more.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 06, 2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pacific 10(now a church

Pacific Inland Center 5 (Wasnt this theatre torn down?)

Carousel 4(once an AMC as the Central City) - Aren't they going to tear down the mall soon and this be history as well?

AMC Commercecenter 6 - they converted this to a commercial building correct?

GCC Montclair Plaza 8(was a triplex until it expanded to another building behind the triplex in the '70s) - both torn down, sadly.

SRO Montclair Triplex(later a 5-plex in the hands of Pacific Theatres) - funny they built a housing track where this theatre was.
UA Movies 6 - has anything happened to this one?

Oh, and there will be more im sure of. We need to take pics of these before they are torn down!

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted May 06, 2004 09:16 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,The Inland Center is now a parking lot. They were gonna expand it,but those plans were scuttled.

The Commercecenter is an office.

Carousel Mall's future is still unclear.

Chris Utley

- posted May 06, 2004 10:47 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Question for the St. Louis area folks: Is the Halls Ferry 14 still standing? If so, then that's the biggest abandoned multiplex (that I know of) in St. Louis.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.