CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Smallest Cinema? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Smallest Cinema?
Jack Coursey

- posted August 04, 2005 03:52 PM      Profile for Jack Coursey   Email Jack Coursey         Edit/Delete Post 
I am an outsider looking in. You brought a point that I hadn't considered, seat size, but we're dealing in generalities here. This prompts me to inquire what is the average number of seats per screen in the U.S. and what numbers constitute both ends of the axis? I realize that this is the type of inquiry that an accountant rather that a cinema connoisseur might make, but it gives some perspective in determining what is a small cinema and what is a large cinema. Regarding the Buckhead Backlot, the seating per auditorium is 63,66,71,72, 83 and 101.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 04, 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if there is one megaplex that has a small amount of seats/screen, it has to be the AMC Rolling Hills 20 or the AMC Fashion Valley 18.

AMC's Fashion Valley is basically for those who dont want to hassle with the AMC Mission Valley less than a mile away. Its meant to be more of an overflow theatre, so you dont have to go to the other threatres in the area (which all but the Mann Hazard 9 closed)

The largest screen there is only 246 seats. And its 9 Theatres on the first level, and identical 9 on the lower level.

Same goes with the AMC Rolling Hills 20. The largest theatre was only 250 when they expanded it from a 6 to a 20 (they used to have 300 + seat theatres at the old 6, but they converted those to stadium). They had built 13 new stadium theatres next to the old theatre (which stayed open during the construction).

AMC Is opening the Del Amo 16 up the street from this theatre.

These theatres have to have an average of 150 seats per theatre if not less.

George Gates

- posted August 05, 2005 01:01 PM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone an opinon on seat widths? I know Griggs had 3 sizes which were mixed in rows in order to make aisles end up even, and fit them properly to a side wall which would usually become narrow as the you got to the front of an auditorium. In a screening room, you're usually only talking about 4 or 5 rows of 10 or 12 each, and the seats would be wider than the standard used for the public. I don't know how that all fits into the topic, but it's probably of interest.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 08, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
As I've mentioned before, the Orinda Theatre in Orinda, CA has the smallest yet most beautiful theatre I've ever seen.

I think it's 49 seats - but with waterfall curtain, Egyptian heiroglyphics on the wall and fiber optic stars in the ceiling. If you haven't checked out the tour, here's a link below.

Orinda Theatre Tour

William Hooper

- posted August 08, 2005 11:13 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
It *is* cool, basically a screening room.
What architect did the remodel (is it a triple?)

Jack Coursey

- posted August 09, 2005 05:08 PM      Profile for Jack Coursey   Email Jack Coursey         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, but, augh, can’t breath! It’s a bit much even for a screening room. What was this room prior to its makeover as a cinema? Is the main auditorium of the Orinda still intact or has it been sliced and diced?

George Gates

- posted August 10, 2005 06:44 AM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it was made into an auditorium from a section of hallway or a split. (Noticed the large post is halved with a wall, maybe the post was at the rear of the original auditorium?) Otherwise, the theatre is breathtakingly beautiful.

John J. Fink

- posted August 13, 2005 07:32 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
IFC Center's screen 3 has got some 40-seats to it, maybe the smallest commerical theatre in Manhatten. Screen 7 at Loews Pallisades Center in West Nyack has 54 seats to it. Other extrodianary small houses I can think of off the top of my head...theatre 5 at the Angelika (probaby about 60 seats), some of those basement cinemas at the Village East and some of those cinemas at the Empire 25 (I swear they must all be under 90 in capacity).

Ken Roe

- posted August 14, 2005 06:44 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
The extra 2? screens at the Orinda Theatre, Orinda. CA were conversions of former shop units. The main screen remains unaltered, when first opened it was 834 seats.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.