HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Boo Boos on the screen

Author Topic: Boo Boos on the screen
Mike Law

- posted July 20, 2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic should bring back some fond and funny memories...

As a former Union projectionist, I wasn't exempt from the occasional screwup. My classic one occured in 1977 at the Sutter Theatre in Yuba City, California. We were playing the movie "MIDWAY," and the three-hour long feature was built-up on three 6,000 foot reels. Somehow, I got reels two and three mixed up and didn't catch it until the credits rolled. Yikes!!! The Japanese basically bombed Pearl Harbor and then a few moments later we dropped the A-Bomb and the movie was over. Bob Golding, did you ever hear about that one? Incidently, the only reason I got away with that one was because it was a slow night and the manager was next door at the Town Pump (a bar) getting bombed himself.

|  IP: Logged

William K. Lodholz

- posted July 23, 2003 01:13 PM      Profile for William K. Lodholz   Email William K. Lodholz         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the mid 70s we had one of the perodic re-releases of 2001. One night we noticed that the last show was letting out about 20 minutes early. I was periodically checking the auditorium and didn't notice anything strange, and nobody complained.

We finally figured out we missed the real that had the trip from the space station to the Moon. What the folks saw was the space ship leaving the station, and next it was landing on the moon. The sound track even seemed ok. We kept that in mind for slow nights.

Mike Law

- posted July 23, 2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
William, would that have been at the Varsity or Cinema 2 theatres in Davis? Not that I was working that night when that happened or anything like that.

William K. Lodholz

- posted July 24, 2003 06:37 AM      Profile for William K. Lodholz   Email William K. Lodholz         Edit/Delete Post 
No, this was back before I headed out to California. It was in Detroit at the Alger

Amanda Jones

- posted August 20, 2005 12:42 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm on screen boo boos? I have 2 I can think of, one of which were pretty big.

The most recent boo boo was just last week. I was scheduled to build all print builds last week and one one of our prints of four brothers I accidently put the Fandango trailer on backwards and mixed up my cues on the end of the show placing my shutdown cue where my lights up cue should have been. Ooops. Luckily this was caught that night while previewing.

My first boo boo was while I was still sorta new to booth. My boss comes up to me on a Tuesday night and asks me to build a movie because our union guy was out of town for the week and the only manager who knew how to build movies wasn't home. The print was Austin Powers 3 and it was for a Wednesday morning trade screening. I told my boss that I haven't been trained to build yet and she told me that since I knew how to tear a print down that it would be easy to build a print. I built it without a problem or so I thought. We didn't preview the print so the next morning when the trade people were watching it there wasn't a problem till the second reel which had been placed on backwards. I didn't know that films don't always come heads out. Upon further investigation 3 reels where placed on backwards.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted September 09, 2005 12:40 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The print was Austin Powers 3 and it was for a Wednesday morning trade screening.
What the heck was up with New Line and Alliance Atlantis with all the trade screenings and sneak previews they had ran for AP3? I can't remember any other film which I ran so many pre-release screenings for. Although maybe I remember it because I had to reject over half of the prints (9 prints or something stupid like that).

Amanda Jones

- posted September 09, 2005 09:04 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no clue [Shrug] Apparently we had about 100 people at this screening. Though about 90% were employees of the other GCC/AMC in town (I believe we were AMC by that time though I don't remember)

What is the purpose of a trade screening? We always had them and I never inquired why and my current theater we don't have them.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted September 09, 2005 08:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally the majority of theatres don't have "trade screenings" (which are attended by critics, bookers, celebs, etc.) but some, mainly in dense population centres, have "sneak previews" or "advance showings" that are intended to "get the buzz out".

Basically they get a few people who actually go to the advance showing to talk to a few other people about the show. More importantly the studio/theatre gets a bunch of cheap or free advertising on radio stations that usually give away a bulk of the advance showing tickets.

Amanda Jones

- posted September 11, 2005 06:02 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
I know all about sneak previews that are either A) available to the general public to come to the box office and purchase tickets or B) are sponsored by a radio/tv station or by the film studio themselves. Like on Thursday we have an advanced screening of Just Like Heaven. A Dreamworks rep rented one of our theaters for this screening.

My old theater we had what our boss refered to as trade screenings. They were usually on Wednesday mornings before we opened and sometimes we only had 1 person show up. He was a film booker for the area. Made it interesting in the summer because Wednesday morning was also Summer Movie Camp. So we would have a trade screening in #2 and Movie Camp in #3-#6

George Gates

- posted September 12, 2005 08:37 AM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
Film Distributors closed most, if not all branch offices, so A.M. trade screenings in a Distributor screening room are a thing of the past. Decisions on booking are blind bid, and done with discretion. It's not like exhibitors compete, they usually do what they're told, or have unspoken agreements.
Today, they hold press screenings in a local theatre which is convenient for most. These are also known as trade screenings.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.