CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Favorite Movie Theatres-Then and Now (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Favorite Movie Theatres-Then and Now
Mark Campbell

- posted October 23, 2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Growing Up:

SRO Tacoma Mall Twin, Tacoma WA (R.I.P.)
Rialto, Tacoma WA
GCC Villa Plaza, Lakewood WA (R.I.P.)
SRO Southcenter, Seattle WA (R.I.P.)
UA 150, Seattle WA (R.I.P.)
SRO Cinerama, Seattle, WA
GCC King, Seattle WA
John Danz Theatre, Bellevue WA (RIP)
Northgate, Seattle WA (RIP)
Temple Theatre, Tacoma WA

Now:

Mann National, LA CA
Mann Village, LA CA
Grauman's Chinese, Hollywood
Cinerama Dome, Hollywood
Egyptian, Hollywood
AMC Cinerama, Seattle WA
Nuart, LA CA
Arclight, Hollywood
El Capitan, Hollywood
Laemmle Royal, LA CA

|  IP: Logged

Dave Felthous

- posted October 24, 2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Mark, the King Cinema in Seattle is no more. Actually, the building is there but the last time I looked it's a church.

Mark Brunson

- posted October 25, 2005 08:52 PM      Profile for Mark Brunson   Email Mark Brunson         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm in high school now, I have one list for then & now because, for me, they are one in the same. Most of them are right here in St. Louis because the theatres I've gone to everywhere else have been your average modern megaplexes.

Pixar's theatre in Emeryville, CA- I've never seen a movie in it, although my cousin has. But, I was in it when I was shown around Pixar's campus (my cousin has connections [Smile] ). It was a cozy, little room. If I recall correctly, the theatre holds between 200-300 people. When I was in there, it felt much smaller than one would expect a theatre of that capacity to be.

Tivoli in University City, MO- This is where I see most movies. Its history and pictures are on this site. I love the art-deco architecture of theatres built in the 1920's. I also love the curtain on the main screen (I think this is a essential to the moviegoing experience).The little details are amazing. There are two exit signs, but they aren't distracting because they're too dim to draw attention, but bright enough to know where the exits are. The seats provide an excellent headrest and naturally aim your back and neck toward the screen.

Moolah Theatre and Lounge- This single-screen theatre opened in December 2004 in the renovated Moolah Temple, which is a beautiful building. The theatre looks amazing. It inherited the Moorish architecture of the Temple with a large dome in the ceiling lit by constantly-changing LED's. The theatre has a full bar and lounge so you can bring your drinks into the theatre. But, the unique feature of this theatre is the seating. Most of the floor has couches and loveseats. When I heard about this, I assumed it would be cheap, uncomfortable couches. But, these leather couches are amazing. In the back, there are a few rows of stadium seating. Then, about 10 feet above that, there is a balcony. To add to the comfort, there is something unexpected under your feet: carpet. The luxury of this theatre compels me to keep it clean so it will be as nice next time I come back. Hopefully, I'm not the only one.

John J. Fink

- posted November 21, 2005 07:39 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Then:

GCC Essex Green I-III (Closed, opperations now at the new AMC Essex Green 9)- West Orange, NJ

Now:

The Bridge: Cinema De Lux- Philadelphia, PA

Brad Erickson

- posted May 15, 2006 04:55 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
THEN:

Mann Village, Westwood
Mann National, Westwood
Mann Bruin, Westwood
Plitt Century Plaza Twin, Century City
GCC Avco, Westwood
Pacific Picwood, West L.A.
Mann Chinese, Hollywood (Main Theatre)
Laemmle Monica Twins, Santa Monica
Aero, Santa Monica

NOW:

Mann Village, Westwood
Mann National, Westwood
Mann Bruin, Westwood
Laemmle Sunset 5, West Hollywood
Grauman's Chinese Theatre (Main Theatre)
Arclight, Hollywood

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 16, 2006 10:52 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
There are numerous theatres from my childhood that I don't recall beyond the particular films or sense of wonder, but here are a few I do remember vividly:

The Palace & Capital Theatres, Pittsfield, MA. While I saw 95% of my childhood films at the generic Cinema Center, as it pretty much held a county monopoly on first run at that time, these two downtown movie palaces provided more memorable experiences. By the time I encountered these classic theatres, they were already in sharp decline, but their grandeur remained intact; all be it in a somewhat fading/decaying manner. Sadly, both are long gone.

Edwards Big Newport, Newport Beach, CA. On my family’s yearly vacations to California, seeing a film at the Big Newport was always a treat. This theatre remains one of my favorites, especially for blockbusters. However, something was definitely lost when Regal Entertainment took over operations.

Ron Newman

- posted May 19, 2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
It saddens me that the Plitt Century Plaza was not just closed, but demolished. I loved going to Filmex there in the early 1980s. It had the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in.

Spike Spiegel

- posted June 27, 2006 07:38 PM      Profile for Spike Spiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Spike Spiegel         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites.
Newington Theater (Had nice black and white murals and red walls. RIP *Sniff.*)
Cinema 123 (RIP)
Pike Drive-In (RIP)
Hartford Drive-In (Please someone do something with this.)
Paris 1 & 2 (Sweet little theater.)
Berlin 1 & 2 (He had a nice collection of movie posters.)
Elm Theater (A beautiful theater, sadly, now a drug store.)
The Theaters at Westfarms (Bye!)
Southington Drive-In (Gone)

Favorite Theater to go to with friends: The Lowes in Plainville, the colored lights and walls are very pretty.

Theater to go see epic films like Star Wars: The Crown in Hartford.

Theater to have something nice to eat: The Coloniel in Canaan.

The sassiest theater in CT: The Warner!

The best place to see Anime films: The CT Convention Center during ConnectiCon. (I know it doesn't qualify.)

Jonathan Smith

- posted September 10, 2006 08:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Then:
Edwards San Marcos 18
Landmark Hillcrest
Landmark Ken
Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21

Now:
Arclight Cinemas
Cinerama Dome
The Bridge: Cinema De Lux
Mann Village
Edwards Mira Mesa 18
Edwards Long Beach 26

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.