CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Favorite Movie Theatres-Then and Now (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Favorite Movie Theatres-Then and Now
Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted June 19, 2003 09:38 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
here's a fun little thread I thought i'd start.

List your favorite theatres growing up and now as an adult.

My list:
The Meralta-Downey California(R.I.P.)
GCC Greenspoint 5-Houston Texas(R.I.P.)
Mann Fox-Las Vegas,NV(R.I.P.)
Mann Boulevard Twin,Las Vegas,NV(R.I.P.)
Plitt Parkway 3,Las Vegas,NV(R.I.P.)
GCC Inland Twin-San Bernardino,Ca(R.I.P.)
GCC Montclair Plaza 8-Montclair,Ca(R.I.P.)
Pacific's Inland Center 5-San Bernardino,Ca(R.I.P.)
Cinemastar Empire 20-San Bernardino
UltraStar Fontana 8-Fontana,Ca(Opened as a Mann in 1991,became an Edwards less than a year later now an UltraStar since 2000)

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 19, 2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Also check out the following threads:

what's your favorite type of theatre?
Cinemas we've been in

[ June 19, 2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Brad Miller

- posted June 20, 2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
GCC Northpark 1 & 2 in Dallas (now closed). No other theater compares, so I won't waste my time even pondering it.

Bill Gabel

- posted June 20, 2003 03:17 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite theatres were:
  • Warner Hollywood (aka. Hollywood Pacific)(Before the tri-plexing in 1978)
    Warner Beverly Hills---(Beverly Hills-RIP)
    Pacific's Picwood---(West Los Angeles-RIP)
    NGC's Criterion---(Santa Monica-RIP)
    Pacific's Pantages---(Hollywood-Stageshows)
The only two still staying are the Hollywood Pacific and the Pantages theatres. The Warner Beverly Hills had one of the nices booths. Two DP70s and two XL's and a full boat Ampex 6 Track Stereo system.
This was a ROADSHOW THEATRE in the best of terms. Not many theatres could touch this one in Los Angeles.

[ June 08, 2006, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

Roger Katz

- posted June 20, 2003 06:30 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite place to see a movie is the Holiday Mallview 10 Cinemas in Waterbury, CT. This theatre opened as a Hoyts Cinema in 1988, but Hoyts pulled out when they opened a new location across town in a brand new mall in 1997. The new Hoyts venue attracts the ghetto crowd from the city and as a result is a very unpleasant and intimidating place to view a movie. The Holiday Cinemas show a mix of mainstream first run, second run, and arthouse films. The cinema lobby is decorated very nicely with colored lights, fish tanks, and old movie memorabilia. The seats are very comfortable with ample padding and they rock (I do not like non-rocking seats). Also, the seating is on the traditional slope rather than stadium seating (which I hate with a passion). The picture and sound are always clear and at an appropriate volume. The only complaint I have about the Holiday Cinemas is that the cafe inside which used to sell sandwiches and pastries has closed down, so now only traditional concession fare is offered.

Bob Allen

- posted June 21, 2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Fox Pomona, Pomona, California. The most beautiful theatre I had ever seen. Thank Goodness the City is going to restore it.

Ken Roe

- posted June 21, 2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently in LA and plan to visit the Fox, Pomona next week. I will report back and let you know what's happening there. Hopefully I will take some pics that I will submit to Adam to post on the site.

Joe Masher

- posted June 22, 2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Joe Masher   Email Joe Masher         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are my faves:

Growing Up (In Troy-Albany, NY)
1. Proctor's Theatre, Troy (extant)
2. Hellman's Theatre, Albany (demolished)
3. Hellman's Towne, Latham,NY (Acura dealership)
4. UA Tri-City Twin Drive-In, Menands, NY (demolished)
5. Cine 1-2-3-4, Colonie, NY (closed-most recently Hoyts Cine 10)

Now - NYC-NJ
1. Loew's Jersey, Jersey City, NJ
2. Warner Theatre, Ridgewood, NJ
3. Loew's Kips Bay, NYC
4. Ziegfeld Theatre, NYC

Just my two cents--
Joe

Bob Allen

- posted June 23, 2003 01:57 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ken. It's one of the houses in which I served my apprenticeship back in the 40s. Hope you get those pics.

Eric Hooper

- posted November 19, 2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Then:

GCC Southland - Hayward, CA (closed)
Dublin 6 Cinema - Dublin, CA (closed)

Now:

UA Alexandria - San Francisco, CA (on the verge of being closed)

Mike Law

- posted November 19, 2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up as a kid in the Sacramento area I vaguely remember the Fox Senator on K Street. I have a few indoor photos of this 2,000 seat jewel. The State Theatre in Auburn before they twinned it, and of course the Tower in Roseville have to rate right up there as well. Now... it's much tougher, but the Paramount in Oakland really stands alone in my esteem. My son and I saw Dr. No, Goldfinger, Jaws, and Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein this year alone. Wizard of Oz will play the day after Xmas, so you can bet we'll be there. If I had to pick a theatre that's gone it would be Lamb's masterpiece in SF, the Fox.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted July 25, 2005 11:16 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Then:
  • Parkwood Twin Theatre, Philadelphia PA
  • AMC Premiere Twin Theatre, Bensalem
  • Eric Feasterville 4 Theatre, Feasterville PA
  • Sameric 4 Theatre (aka RKO Stanley Warner's Boyd Theatre), Philadelphia PA
Now:
AMC Neshaminy 24 Theatre [Cool]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted July 31, 2005 12:36 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the local theaters of the past, the only ones I have a soft spot for are the Festival 6 http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=2005
and the Regency 6
http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=1923
Those were very well-run theaters in their day. Outdoor theaters, the Sunnyside Drive-In is my all-time favorite! I was very sad when that one got vandalized and later demolished!
http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=2010

Amanda Jones

- posted August 19, 2005 10:52 PM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up

General Cinema Eastgate 6 (now closed)
Loews Cherry Tree (now closed)
General Cinema Greenwood Park 3-6 (demolished)

Now
Kerasotes Showplace 16 (only 'cause I get in for free [Big Grin] )
AMC Castleton Arts (to see any mainstream art pictures that our theater doesn't open)
Key Cinemas (for all the great indy and art films)

Dave Felthous

- posted September 06, 2005 10:07 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking back 60 years:

Orpheum Theater, Portland, OR. Intimate main floor, very steep floors gave as good sight lines as many of today's stadium theaters. Great accoustics. It was the first CinemaScope theater in Portland, and the screen was probably less than 40 feet,but the auditorium was such that it seemed larger once the movie started.

Longview Theater, Longview, WA. OK, I grew up there, but this art-deco theater built in the early 1940s was really classy for a small town. With fewer than 600 seats, it seemed spacious thanks to a very high ceiling (good thinking by the architect) and cushy corduroy-upholstered seats. Tastefully remodeled for CinemaScope, the LA people who installed the new screen, projection equipment and stereo sound said it was the best small theater they had refitted. Sadly, it's now a skateboard park.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.