CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » New Member to CinemaTour Forum (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: New Member to CinemaTour Forum
Tom Mundell

- posted December 09, 2003 07:16 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I've been meaning to check out the Embassy for some time now, but haven't quite made it yet (I'm not sure what my excuse is, given that I live pretty much within walking distance from the theatre...). Currently the theatres I regularly visit are the Framingham 16 and Burlington 10 (both AMC's now).

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar

- posted December 10, 2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Email Bob Maar         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if I will ever have as many posts as Joe?

Rachel Gilardi

- posted December 17, 2003 11:58 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I HAVE to do this? *huff*

Ok, I'm me. A 23 year old female who is still looking for respect from all the men in her life! [Big Grin]

I work at the Strand Theater in Manitowoc, WI - I've been here for about 6 months where I am a manager/projectionst.

Past stuff:
Hollywood Hits, Danvers MA - Sept 11th, 2001 (not a great date) - June 2003, Manager.
Museum Place Cinema - Patriot Cinemas, Salem MA - Sept 2000 to Sept 2001, General Manager/Projectionist.
Gloucester Cinema, Gloucester MA - August 1993 - Sept 2000, Asst. Manager/Projectionst.

I moved out to Wisconsin (cheese land) from Massachusetts about 6 months ago to be with my boyfriend Don. My hobbies are movies, painting, and reading (when I actually have time).

Ummm, Yeah - I'm pretty darn boring.

Chris Utley

- posted December 19, 2003 07:53 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I've been doing a lot of talking lately but haven't introduced myself. I'm not in the film exhibition business at all. I'm just merely a fan.

I've been going to the movies since (legend has it) I was in my mother's womb. I was born in 1972 in St. Louis, MO but my earliest memories of going to the movies go back to 1975. I remember seeing "Jaws" at the now demolished Airway Drive-In in St. Louis and tons of "Blaxploitation" flicks at the old U-City Cinema (now the Tivoli Theatre) also in St. Louis.

I spent my childhood watching the Star Wars films at the now demolished Creve Coeur Cinema and Superman flicks/Raiders of the Lost Ark and other 80's classics at the Esquire in Clayton. The Esquire is the theatre that's fondest and closest to my heart.

Fast forward to 1985 when I moved to Los Angeles. We only went to drive-ins in LA for the first 6 years we lived here. Then in 1991 I first visited Grauman's Chinese Theatre and the Cinerama Dome. Those experiences changed my life!

I have since visited tons of multiplexes in the LA suburbs as well as the (remaining) palaces in Hollywood & Westwood. I now live in Costa Mesa, CA where I rotate between Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 or Edwards Big Newport.

Like I said...not in the business but I'm a movie theatre fan...and a BIG one, too!

Phil Hill

- posted December 19, 2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm Phil Hill and this is my first (and last) post.

A little bit about me:

-I was born.
-I am a white male pirate, so that means I have no life. It also means I'd be considered last when applying for any job with the MPAA that claims to value "diversity", no matter my qualifications.
-I like everyone in the world... except you.
-If you disagree with anything I say, you are wrong....except Joe. He is always right.
-I like to speak in imbroglio.
-I currently need to fart.

There, that should do it!

Rachel Gilardi

- posted December 28, 2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-I currently need to fart.
Ewww.

Phil Hill

- posted December 29, 2003 12:26 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
What's yur prob, Rach? You KNOW I always tell it like it is! [Shrug]

BTW: The feeling has "passed." [thumbs up]

>>> Phil

Nicholas Suchyta

- posted December 29, 2003 01:32 AM      Profile for Nicholas Suchyta   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Suchyta         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, i think that your posts on Film-Tech far outnumber anyone, you have the lead

Ian Williams

- posted November 19, 2004 05:06 AM      Profile for Ian Williams   Email Ian Williams         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi from Melbourne Australia! I have just got home from seeing a movie in one of those bland curtained rooms people watch movies in these days. I grew up in the 50's and have managed some of the finest movie palaces in the nation. The Regent (1929 - 3253 seats) was a copy of New York's Capitol. Closed for 26 years, one month and fourteen days, I was one of a handful that mounted the campain to save it; now big Broadway shows. I was also involved with the stunning Capitol Theatre, (924 - 2115 seats,) unique in the world with its prismed ceiling and 4000 globes. I went from tears on its closing night in 1965 to re-opening it as an upstairs 700 seat theatre eighteen months later -the happiest time of my life! Always welcome to receive emails from anybody re our great picture palaces!

Jack Coursey

- posted January 25, 2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Jack Coursey   Email Jack Coursey         Edit/Delete Post 
I was too young to remember where, when or why I was born. I faintly recalled being raised by wolves and being abandoned by them when I became a vegetarian and high profile motivational speaker on the Amish network. When not baying at the moon or conjugating Latin verbs, I enjoy…I’m sorry, what was the question? Since I am blessed with the duel virtues of imagination and persistence (e.g. obsessive/compulsive) I get a virgin high out of doing nifty stuff like data mining and research. Needless to say, a guy like me with all these swell attributes and dashing good looks is chick magnet that sirens of the like of Nicole Kidman, Gina Davis, etc. adore their refrigerators with.

William French, Jr.

- posted January 26, 2005 11:45 AM      Profile for William French, Jr.   Email William French, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a 30 year old lover of architecture. I have had a love affair with theatres since I was in my late teens. Since 1999, I have been an advocate for people with mental health issues (I have a few myself). I graduated High School in January of 1993, a semester behind my class due to a major illness. I attended community college for 7 years until it became clear that, because of a learning disability and my mental health issues, I would not be able to take the classes I would need to get a degree. I am an eBay seller (not very frequently) and spend time each day looking at the different listings on cinematour and cinematreasures. I live a block behind the Ukiah Theatre and have my own website, bestofukiah.com. I have also had the joy of living in both Oakland and San Rafael and have visited a number of great theatres in San Francisco, my favorite being the Orpheum.

John Robert

- posted February 06, 2005 07:16 AM      Profile for John Robert   Email John Robert         Edit/Delete Post 
No matching picture, so you'll have to guess...I seem to be on the other side of the camera anyway lately.

I worked for 3 1/2 years as an usher/gofer/flunkie at a 3-screen Carmike (the bulk of the time I was there the company went by 'Martin') in the early-to-mid-80s in east Texas between Dallas and Shreveport. It was one of those lovely shoeboxes (the Dallas paper's film critic's description--a plain square building with little or no imagination) that the company felt no need in maintaining or investing in. So any puke/coke spill/gum on the carpet might get the shampoo machine to the place, but no chance of actually *changing* that awful orange/brown material to something newer. Oh, not only that, but should a letter/number break or come up missing for the sign out at the street, too bad. I'd have to make do or improvise. That black marker got used a lot. I'd have to put tails on 'P's to make 'R's, or take an 'L' and draw 2 lines on it to make an 'E', that kind of thing.

That theater, the Cinema 3, replaced the last theater downtown, the Palace, which I'd been to a few times over the years. The Cinema 3 was built on the site of the old Chief Drive-In (that's one that our webmaster doesn't have listed yet) which I think closed in the early 70s. I used to remember the first 3 movies the Cinema 3 had shown when it opened, now I can't. But we're talking almost a 25-year-old place, so the brain cells flake off after a while I guess. By far the most popular movie ever at the Cinema 3 was Raiders of the Lost Ark, it was there at least 4 separate engagements for multiple weeks each time.

Carmike actually closed the Cinema 3 about 3 years ago during their bankruptcy, and within a few months a theater group from a nearby city bought it, fixed it up, and reopened it. I've been up to see it once since the reopen, and hooray no more orange/brown anything! [thumbs up]

One of my earliest moviegoing trips was in grade school...for a during-the-day fieldtrip, my class and I got to an old theater called the Strand to see Charlotte's Web. It wasn't a very big theater, and it had an adjacent Strand Restaurant; both were on the east side of a park/town square. The Strand and the restaurant (which itself had been used in later years as a shoe shop) were torn down some years later to accomodate a bank building expansion.

I found out about this site about 2 months ago when a link was shown in the message board of the Dallas Historical Society. This definitely went in the bookmarks list.

As for now, I work for 2 hotels in the Dallas area, browse/work on websites, and look like a zombie most of the time (my jobs are both overnight...which means it's past my bedtime [Rolling on Floor Laughing] )

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 06, 2005 09:06 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Cinematour.

If you've made any photo submissions, be patient. The first thing you'll learn here is that Adam runs a tight ship, and so he's the only one doing the updates so it takes awhile to get around to everything.

But enjoy the site. [Smile]

Timothy King

- posted May 25, 2005 01:30 AM      Profile for Timothy King   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy King         Edit/Delete Post 
I I'm new. So I will give you a intro. My name is Tim I live in sydney and I work at a Greater Union Cinema. www.greaterunion.com.au. And I own a site about movies. Just want to know what you think of my site. for more info on GU go to www.greaterunion.com.au/aboutus

Take care.
www.ravereviews.tk

Lauren Grubb

- posted May 30, 2005 07:48 AM      Profile for Lauren Grubb   Author's Homepage   Email Lauren Grubb         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I'm another newbie around here. I am from Clemson, SC. I research ghost towns and drive-in theaters in Oklahoma. This site has been very helpful to me, and I hope to be able to contribute back. I have a ton of pictures of theaters from TX, OK, and SC. A few of these are already posted on this site. Anyway, I look forward to being a part of this community. [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.