CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » New Member to CinemaTour Forum (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: New Member to CinemaTour Forum
Christofer Meissner

- posted June 16, 2003 12:51 PM      Profile for Christofer Meissner   Email Christofer Meissner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am a newly registered member of the forum here at CinemaTour, although I have been using the databases for a year or so. I would like to introduce myself and talk a little about my interest in movie theatres.

I am in the process of writing my doctoral dissertation in film studies at the University of Kansas. My topic is the history of the rise of the multiplex movie theatre in the 1960s and 1970s. Because I am close to it geographically, but also because it was a key location for early multiplexes due to its being the headquarters of the AMC (American Multi-Cinema) theatre chain, I am using Kansas City as a case study in this history.

As a result, in addition to having done a lot of research on early multiplexes, I also have done a lot of research regarding Kansas City movie theatres of all periods. I am interested in sharing information on both subjects in order to fill in some gaps in the database. I am also interested in receiving information that anyone might have on these subjects. (I have already posted a message to this effect in reply to another member's message regarding the location of the first multiplex theatre.)

I am looking forward to participating in the forums and to continuing to utilize the CinemaTour resources. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 16, 2003 02:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome aboard, Christofer!

If anyone else would like to tell us who the heck you are, this would be a great place to do so. [Cool]

William B. Leland III

- posted June 26, 2003 02:22 PM      Profile for William B. Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William B. Leland III         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, my name is William, but my friends call me Will. I've been in the theatre industry for 6 years. A long time for me. I enjoy movies and the idea I start the movie for hundres of people everyday. They see my work.

Well I just wanted to say hey everyone.

Joe Masher

- posted June 28, 2003 06:24 AM      Profile for Joe Masher   Email Joe Masher         Edit/Delete Post 
OK-a little about me--
I am currently the Division Manager for Clearview Cinemas for North Jersey, Westchester and Rockland Counties of NY, and Greenwich, CT. I also am the NYC Metro Area Director for the Theatre Historcial Society of America.
I have been in the industry for 20 years, having started as a floor staff employee at the Loews Mohawk Mall Theatre in Schenectady, NY, which has since been demolished. As a manger, I ran the following locations:

Loews Mohawk Mall, Schenectady, NY (demolished)
Loews Cinema 7, Latham, NY (office building)
Loews Clifton Park Cinema, Clifton Park, NY (church)
Loews Oakdale Mall Cinemas, Johnson City, NY (closed)
Loews Airport Drive-In, Johnson City, NY (demolished)
Loews Town Square 9, Vestal, NY (open)
Loews/Sony Lincoln Square, NYC (for the first 4 years of its life)
Loews Kips Bay 15, NYC (for the first year of its life)
then on to Clearview where I was hired as training director for the circuit, and became DM a year later.

I currently live in Dover, NJ, but am originally from the Albany, NY area.

More than you probably ever wanted to know...

[Smile]

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 02, 2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. I'm Jeff. I was a manager with AMC for about 6 years before leaving in 2002.

I worked at (in order):
Plaza 10, Puente 6, Puente 4 (1992 - Now Closed)
Montebello 10 (1992-1992, 2001)
Burbank 6,8,14 (1996-1997 - Burbank 14 recently Closed)
Covina 30 (1998-2001)
Norwalk 20 (2001-2002)
Block 30 (2002)

I also worked a bit at Puente 20, Ontario 30, and Promenade 16. I know a lot of going on's at AMC in Los Angeles.

Just like the two new theatres being built in Los Angeles by AMC:
Santa Anita 16 (At The Shoppingtown)
Rancho Cucamonga 16 (At the new mall they are opening in 2004)

Jeff

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 15, 2003 01:57 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Those who know, know I need no introduction. But for those that dont, I'm Scott Neff.

Currently working for Century Theatres (almost 3 years now) as a Field Auditor where I get to fly around the country and check up on the theatres.

Before that I was Asst. District Manager for an Independent Circuit called "Cinema West" -- (43 screens in 10 theatres in my day).

I travel a lot and help take as many pictures as possible... now all I need is another digital camera. I hate things that break.

Dave Felthous

- posted July 20, 2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking at CinemaTour for about two years, ever since a friend in Buffalo stumbled upon it and knew I'd love it. I have since provided a number of photos/info on Washington theaters and info on others in Oregon and California.

I grew up during World War II. My dad was in a defense industry and worked odd hours; my mom's mother moved in with us, and there was me, an early grade-schooler. My hometown of about 20,000 had FIVE movie theaters! So we went to the movies a lot.

My first movie experience was "National Velvet," with Elizabeth Taylor, which I saw when I was 5. Even before the movie started I was enthralled by the theater atmosphere. Then the lights went down and a lion roared on the screen. I was hooked.

From then on I wanted to work at a movie theater. But by the mid-50s, when I needed to make some career choices, my town had only two theaters left. Like everywhere else, theaters were closing. My older cousin, a GM for Fox in California, saw the light and went into the insurance business.

My second love was newspapers, and I got a journalism degree and spent 40-plus years in the industry. But I always said that when I retired I was going to get a job at a theater. People thought I was joking, but I wasn't.

In 2000 we had a newspaper strike in Seattle, and I didn't want to return to the post-strike atmosphere. So I took the "early retirement" package that was offered and started turning in job apps at theaters. It took three months before someone would hire me (age discrimination is illegal but very prevalent.)

I started as a floor-staffer for Regal Cinemas at a sevenplex in the north suburbs. In six months I was an assistant manager and remain so today. The job is often exhausting but I love it. A lot of it has to do with the people -- a really good management team and, for the most part, a hard-working floor staff. I'm the second oldest employee, the oldest being a woman five years older who is our box cashier for weekday matinees.

This far more than you'd ever want to know, so I'll just add that I don't have a picture to provide at this time, but I'm always being mistaken for Ben Affleck :-)

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted December 04, 2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
We've added a lot of new forum members since July! "Who the heck are you?" [Big Grin]

Jeff Arellano

- posted December 04, 2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, I posted back in July!

Tom Mundell

- posted December 05, 2003 09:01 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

Apart from a year and half on the floor staff at Loews Eatontown 15, I don't work in the theatre industry but movies have been a hobby of mine for many years now. I've been lurking here and at film-tech for a while, and thought I might jump in from time to time...

Roger Katz

- posted December 05, 2003 12:37 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

It's good to see a fellow New Englander on the board here. Everyone else seems to be from the wrong coast. I see you are near Boston. Get some photos of some cinemas out that way because I don't get east of Springfield!

Tom Mundell

- posted December 06, 2003 09:55 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking I should get some photos out here (I also travel to New Hampshire and New Jersey quite a bit, so those areas could be fair game too); but first, a new camera! my old camera finally died, hopefully I can get a replacement soon...

Scott Norwood

- posted December 07, 2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Tom. For what it's worth, I'd suggest checking out the Landmark Embassy Cinema in Waltham. That theatre isn't terribly historic or exciting, but the presentation quality is usually very high, and the place is well managed.

[ October 05, 2004, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

Joe Redifer

- posted December 07, 2003 10:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm Joe Redifer and this is my first (and last) post.

A little bit about me:

-I was born in 1973
-I am a straight white male, so that means I am a homophobic oppressive sexist. It also means I'd be considered last when applying for any job with an employer that claims to value "diversity", no matter my qualifications.
-I like everyone in the world... except you.
-If you disagree with anything I say, you are wrong.
-I like to speak in ebonics.
-I currently need to shave.

There, that should do it! [Smile]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted December 08, 2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh good ole' luvvable Joe.

Makes me wanna crack open a 40 and sit on Joe's porch with a rifle. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.