CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » most screens? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: most screens?
Bill Gabel

- posted May 28, 2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Manhattan we have the AMC Empire 25 on 42nd. Street.

In the Southern California area. AMC has the "30 at the Block" in Orange, AMC "Covina 30" in Covina, AMC "Ontario Mills 30" in
Ontario. Edwards had the "Long Beach 26" in Long Beach. They
also had a 22 plex across the parking lot from the AMC Ontario 30. Century Theatres has a 25 plex in Orange/Santa Ana called the
Century Stadium 25. The largest Pacific plex in the Los Angeles area is their Winnetka Stadium 21, on the site of the former Winnetka 6 Drive-In.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer

- posted May 28, 2003 05:27 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC has a 30-screen monster in a large shopping complex in Central Ohio. It was originally part of a giant entertainment complex, with a Spielberg Gameworks, Planet Hollywood, All-Star Cafe centered around the theater. Planet Hollywood and AS Cafe are LONG gone due to poor food and high prices.

Nothing extraordinary...typical AMC installation. All SDDS, with some Dolby Digital and DTS in the monster rooms. Screens come in at 55-60 feet in the largest rooms. Don't know about Torus screens...it's very inconvenient for me to get there.

One thing they did do that got them in some trouble is they forgot to include any drinking fountains. MANY unhappy people about that one.

They made some gestures toward making some of the rooms dedicated to art pictures, but it never worked...we have a local group that has that market sewn up.

Mark Richey

- posted June 02, 2003 11:07 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC operates two 30-plexs in the Dallas area, the Mesquite 30 and the Grapevine Mills 30. Both seem to have the same blueprints. The ticket booths are long, glass booths located in front of the building proper. They can have 8 or 10 windows open at once. There are three concession stands, I believe. There's a huge one in the lobby (next to the giant auditoriums) and two more on the sides.

It's a safe bet that neither theater will ever show exactly 30 films, one per screen, at any time. Nearly every new mainstream release opens on at least two screens, unless it's an obvious dud that has almost no chance of making any money (which apparently describes "Wrong Turn", which opened on only one screen at both theaters). Right now, the Mesquite is showing 16 separate titles, and the Grapevine Mills is showing 17 films.

As for arthouse fare, I remember when the AMC Grand 24 opened back in May 1995, there was a lot of talk about how 4 screens would be devoted to art-house fare. That experiment lasted exactly one week.

Scott Norwood

- posted June 03, 2003 08:09 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
When the GCC (now AMC) Framingham 14 (now 16) opened, it was the largest in the area. Originally, they planned to reserve one screen exclusively for foreign films (they called it "Cinema Internationale"...gee, I wonder how long it took them to come up with that one). It, too, died a quick death.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 03, 2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's sad how naive the general public and city officials can be about the demand for art film. I remember sitting in on City Council meetings for various theatre projects where the City Council was adamant that some of the screens be devoted to art and independent features and be available for use by the city at least X number of times that year. It's ridiculous how quickly everybody forgets these promises.

It's lucky for the theatre owner and competing art-houses that they do forget. I don't think 4 screens in a 24 plex can be devoted properly to an art-house fare (especially by a corporation) and I don't think that people would GO to a 24-plex to see all their art films.

Greg Canales

- posted June 03, 2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Greg Canales   Email Greg Canales         Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to Scott's comment on Union Landing...

I hope you're joking! It is a horrible theater. Century reached and all-time low (and that's real low when you're talking about Century) when they opened that mess. The blead through is bad, the staff are idiots, movies all starting at almost the same time so there is a mad rush for the one consessions counter, and the list goes on and on! I gave that theater chance after chance to redeem it's self and all it did was sink lower and lower! It's worth the extra 10 min. drive to go to the Regal in Dublin if you want to get your cookie-cutter mega plex fix.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 03, 2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm not saying this just because I'm an employee of Century Theatres. I'm saying this because I honestly think this.

1. I don't know about the bleed through, that might be true. I've never experienced a problem with it at Union Landing, I've seen about 20+ movies here and had a decent (which doesn't mean flawless) presentation every time.

2. Employees being idiots? COME ON. Most every megaplex has your pretty basic employee training issues. I don't know if I've been to ANY theatre bigger than 12 screens and ever had excellent customer service. How much customer service do you really need? It's a movie... 1) buy a ticket 2) buy some food 3) find your theatre 4) sit down and enjoy.

3. Hey -- showtimes are showtimes... try making 10 movies not start anywhere near each other. And as far as snack bars, there are actually 4 snack bars at this theatre.

4. Dublin is NOT 10 minutes away. Maybe 20 minutes and that's w/o traffic. I have no idea what their presentation has turned into, I saw "Gone in 60 Seconds" there on opening weekend, it was pretty good.

I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot with ya Greg. I'm just one of those easy to please people... I rarely send food back and I'll rarely bitch out customer service people for screwing things up.

I think this is my long way of asking honestly, "What are your expectations when you go to the movies?"

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 03, 2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so you both disagree about this theater. In the spirit of keeping this topic on-topic, any further comments about the Union Landing 25 should be directed to Century Theatres via a comment card or their website feedback page.

Kim Connell

- posted June 03, 2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Kim Connell   Email Kim Connell         Edit/Delete Post 
The largest one in the Detroit area (and MI?) is the AMC Forum 30 in northern Sterling Heights, MI. It has 30 screens and all stadium seating, but of course, many of the theaters are small because stadium seating takes up a lot of room. Of course, that makes them sell out faster too, so people run down the street to my older theater, [Smile] which rarely sells out nowadays. [Frown]

Many older people complain about Forum 30 because it's hard for them to get up the steps in the stadium area, and the flat area (where you'd also put wheelchairs) is too close to the screen, most of the time. More than one old person has said they'd rather come to my 30-year old, no-frills multiplex. I was shocked! [Eek!] But at the same time, it's a good feeling that there still is a tiny market for older theaters like mine. [Wink]

Star Theaters' Great Lakes Crossing in Great Lakes Crossing Mall in Auburn Hills, MI has 25 screens.

Star Theaters' Southfield in Southfield, MI has 20 screens and they claim it "...is one of the most highly attended theatres in the nation!", according to their website.

Can you say "market oversaturation"? [Razz]

Christofer Meissner

- posted June 16, 2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Christofer Meissner   Email Christofer Meissner         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has been dormant for a couple weeks, but I only just started reading these forums, so I am going to add my 2 cents! [Smile]

To the best of my knowledge, 30 is the upper limit for the largest megaplexes. (I was very interested to read of a 32 screen complex in England, though.) I am near Kansas City, and like other cities mentioned, the largest complex here is the AMC Studio 30 in suburban Olathe, KS. As others have mentioned or alluded to, 30 seems to be the absolute upper limit for any kind of feasibility in terms of max number of screens. I believe that they have on some occasions closed several of the screens temporarily at the Studio 30 complex, and I know that they have always struggled for enough film product since the complex opened in late-1997.

In response to some members' queries about having enough films to fill 30 screens: of course, many films are on two or even three screens, so in these 30-plexes there are probably only 20-24 films playing at any one time. A quick look at the AMC website confirmed that right now there are only 18 films playing at the Studio 30! And AMC has had to utilize what would normally be considered art-house fare to fill that many screens (e.g. right now the Studio 30 is playing both 'A Mighty Wind' and 'Bend It Like Beckham). Also, films are held much longer than they probably are in smaller complexes; 'Chicago' is still playing at the Studio 30, for example.

Is this the experience of others with these largest megaplexes?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 16, 2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Studio 30 actually using all of their screens at this time? For a while, there was talk about scaling back and shutting down some of them for lack of product. The same weekend that the Studio 30 opened, AMC also opened over 40 other screens elsewhere in the KC metro area. Don't ask me why.

Christofer Meissner

- posted June 16, 2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Christofer Meissner   Email Christofer Meissner         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know whether the Studio 30 is operating all 30 screens or not right now. I did not try to figure out how many screens (based on showtimes) the 18 movies were playing on!

You are right, though, Adam: on the same weekend in December 1997 that the Studio 30 opened, AMC also opened the Town Center 20 and the Barrywoods 24 in the KC metro area. (For those of you that are slow at math, like me, that's 74 new screens opened in one day!!)

As to what they must have been thinking--who knows, it was the late-90s? Who knew what anyone was thinking about anything?!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 18, 2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
When you say not operating some of their screens are there portions of the building that are just barricaded... lights turned off... left for dead? Like a mini-ghost town? SPpppppooooky...... [Eek!]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 18, 2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what AMC did in Olathe if they even did shut down any screens.

When the St. Charles 10 (now 18) in St. Charles, MO, opened in 1986 or 1987, screens 9 and 10 were not used for the first entire year. The cleaning lights were left on the whole time.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted June 19, 2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC Intersection 30 in Toronto had closed 10 of their 30 screens for a while. I don't know if they left the lights on or if they are still closed.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.