CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » most screens? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: most screens?
Roger Katz

- posted May 27, 2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
So, does anyone know the answer to this question? What movie theatre in the United States or the world has the greatest number of screens? Here in Connecticut the Loews Plainville Theatre is the largest with 20 screens.

-

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 27, 2003 06:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC has a few 30-plexes. I can't think of anything larger off the top of my head.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 27, 2003 06:52 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Film-Tech has some pictures of a 30 screen AMC complex in Texas. Here in the Central Valley of California, Fresno's Edwards Cinema is the largest, with 21 screens.

(Post edited to delete the bit where I make a fool of myself)

[ May 28, 2003, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Daniel Fuentz ]

Chris Markiewicz

- posted May 27, 2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz         Edit/Delete Post 
The largest in Hawaii is the Signature Dole Cannery 18. Next are Ward Centre 16 and Kapolei 16 (both Consolidated [Pacific]).

Paul Linfesty

- posted May 27, 2003 10:07 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty         Edit/Delete Post 
[quote]Here in the Central Valley of California, Fresno's Edwards Cinema is the largest, with 21 screens. (Before that, the largest theatre was an 8-plex!)

Umm, actually, NO! Theatres in the central valley with larger than 8 screen counts that opened before the Edwards in Fresno:

Fresno: UA Broadway Faire 10

Visalia: Mann (now Signature) Sequoia Mall 12
Signature downtown theatre 10

Bakersfield: Edwards Stadium 14 (opened Spring, 1997)
UA East Hills Mall 10 (mid 90's expansion)

Chuck Cook

- posted May 27, 2003 11:08 PM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Grand Rapids, a paltry 20 (Star Theatre). There's a 30-plex in the Detroit area (either AMC or Star).

Where I grew up near Traverse City, 10.

Paul Linfesty

- posted May 27, 2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AMC has a few 30-plexes
Geez, that sounds like a whole bunch of screens!

Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 28, 2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, you're right. I forgot to go back and fix that bit. [Roll Eyes] [Frown] [Mad]

(See, this is why you can't stop contributing!! I'm already going senile. [Big Grin] )

IIRC, the Broadway Faire opened in 1996 as a traditional-seating theatre and upgraded to stadium after the Edwards 21 opened in 1998.

Do you recall when the Visalia complexes opened?

Paul Linfesty

- posted May 28, 2003 06:35 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mann complex opened sometime late 96 or very early 97. it was the first all THX all digital complex in the valley and features rocking chairs. I don't quite remember when the Signature complex opened. I used to attend both because I had meetings in Visalia.

Eric Hooper

- posted May 28, 2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or does 30 screens seem like they're over-doing it a little bit? Let me guess, I bet they only have one concessions counter and one box office, too. Are there even 30 movies out at one time to show on all 30 screens (provided no movie is showing on multiple screens)? I was in shock at the # of screens when the Century 25 in Union City, CA opened. Needless to say I've never been to the place. I'll stick to my 3- to 5- plexes, thank you. I just don't want to be herded like cattle is all.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 28, 2003 10:01 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I think even AMC agreed that 30 was too much. I would guess that Century even decided that 25 was too much. Union Landing and the Stadium Promenade in Orange are the only 25 plexe's in the company (a 24 in Albuquerque). Now they just seem to build 20's and nothing more.

Eric the 25-plex is something to see. Union Landing is a good place to see a movie, a lot of restaurants nearby and plenty of selection on showtimes. Parking can be a bear, but otherwise I used to see many of my movies there when I lived in Berkeley.

Of course the best is in Ontario, CA. If you haven't seen the AMC & The Reg-wards there then you haven't TRULY seen over-screening. A 30-plex across the parking lot from a 21+Imax-plex.

Jeff Leyland

- posted May 28, 2003 11:01 AM      Profile for Jeff Leyland   Email Jeff Leyland         Edit/Delete Post 
Like everyone said above, AMC seems to have the crown of most number of screens. If you have not been in the larger AMC's they are all set up the same. There are the four large elevator access theatres in the main lobby with a large concession stand. To the left and right of the ticket podium are two long hallways that go to the equivalency of two compact multiplexes with their own concession stands and restrooms.

I thought there was a theatre in Europe that went over 30 screens, but I could not find it. The largest one I found was the Kinopolis in Brussels with 29 screens. Now if we would compare size of building, I think they would have AMC beat. The Brussels plex has a seating capacity of 7965.

Scott Norwood

- posted May 28, 2003 11:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
What's so wrong with single-screen theatres, anyway? I mean, most people can only watch one movie at a time, so I'm not sure why it matters whether or not there are 29 other auditoria under the same roof. Obviously, the multiplexes are more efficient from the exhibitor's point of view (lower fixed costs per screen), but I don't see why that would matter to the customers, since it doesn't seem to translate into lower ticket prices.

Heck, even a 5-screen theatre where I used to fill in would regularly get two prints of the same title (which I personally thought was just stupid, but that wasn't my decision).

Ken Roe

- posted May 28, 2003 11:40 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
The largest screened cinema in the UK is the Warner Village (soon to be re-branded VUE Cinemas) 32 screen Star City at Birmingham. Located close to what is known as 'Spaghetti Junction' where several major motorways converge and cross each other, there are usually only around 24 screens operating at one time, the others are moth-balled until needed.

The tallest cinema in the UK is the 18 screen UGC Glasgow, Scotland which opened in the city centre in 2002. Having no space to build outwards, the only way was 'up' and it soars to 12 stories high.

Eric Hooper

- posted May 28, 2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's the obvious efficiency to the 5- or 10- plex over the single screen when it comes to operating costs. Same amount of staffing, one projectionist, one concessions counter, but 5 or 10 movies worth of admissions and traffic. Plus the flexibility of moving older films to smaller houses. (Ideally, you want every show sold out w/no one turned away). Don't get me wrong, I love the single screen palaces!!! Unfortunately they just can't seem to attract a full sell out crowd anymore, esp. during the week, and now you have the same staff you're paying that would be handling other traffic on other screens at a 5-plex just sitting around doing nothing during the movie at the single screen. If only Hollywood hadn't turned everything into such a fast food frenzy about opening weekends, perhaps the single screens would still be around more these days....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.