HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Theater promo trailers

Author Topic: Theater promo trailers
Kim Connell

- posted May 03, 2003 10:12 PM      Profile for Kim Connell   Email Kim Connell         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how I could view some old theater chain promo trailers? You know, short trailers with the company's logo dancing around with funky music, etc. that play before the show? Maybe those images are copyrited, but perhaps there's a website out there that might have some?

I seem to remember back in the 80s when I was a kid that there was a pinwheeling S logo for the Showcase chain. Or am I wrong?

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 04, 2003 02:48 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is such a website I don't know of it. [Frown] I would LOVE to see some of the 1980's UA policy trailers again -- I remember one from when I was little that had words spelled out in lights that sort of spun around and flew out towards you. (Sorry I can't be more descriptive... I think I was 5 or 6 when that one was used) My favorite UA trailer *is* on-line, though -- just go to www.film-tech.com, click on "Forums", go to the "Film Yak" forum, find the thread entitled something like "UA Theaters policy trailer" and on the next-to-last page there is a link to the UA "Magician" trailer and the original version of the Regal Cinemas rollercoaster. (I can't just post a link to the thread since F-T doesn't allow bookmarking anything other than the main page.) You'll need to have the Quicktime player installed to view the clips. I wish there were more of these on-line! (I have a Festival Theatres trailer I'd gladly post, but I have no way of projecting it and no way of uploading it. [Frown] ) Technically, I suppose these trailers would be copyrighted, but in the case of older trailers I doubt the chains would give a toss about them being online unless you were charging people to view them. Heck, Regal had their policy trailer on their company website back when they were a seperate company unaffilliated with Edwards and UA...

We didn't have Showcase cinemas here in this part of California so I don't recall the trailer you're talking about -- in the 80's we had Mann and UA, now we only have Regal and Signature.

Roger Katz

- posted May 04, 2003 05:44 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
Kim,

You are right about the pinwheeling S logo. Showcase Cinemas, with 8 screens, was the biggest multiplex in Connecticut when I was a kid during the 1980's, so I used to go there a lot. I clearly remember that spinning S logo which then glowed brightly when the S's all came together.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 04, 2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bunch of Policy Trailers. I'm always looking for more... but some of mine include:

UA Hallway
UA Magic Hat
UA Dinosaur
UA Bladerunner
UA Omega?
AMC w/ Clip Conducting
GCC Dancing Candy
PACIFIC "People Pleasing People"
PACIFIC "Focus"
CENTURY's Earth Trailer
multiple copies of NATIONAL AMUSEMENTS silly "Sarah the Flight Attendant"
A few generic NATIONAL AMUSEMENTS trailers.
And a lot of generic snipes and Coke/Pepsi trailers.

I haven't added anything to that collection in awhile... I have to e-bay more often and see what I get. [Smile]

Chuck Cook

- posted May 04, 2003 09:19 PM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
Some trailers I recall when I was a kid:

*Cinemark: a bunch of animated cats singing "we're ready to rock! We're ready to roll!"

*GKC: theirs during the 80's was a CGI of their old logo with a spacy background. Now, it's a flying car in a space-age city.

*Star Theatres: they would have a policy trailer announcing when the show began (15 min., 10 min., etc.); I even remember when they were called "Loeks-Star Theatres" (the owners were relatives of the great Grand Rapids movie theatre baron Jack Loeks; now Sony owns them).

Kim Connell

- posted May 13, 2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Kim Connell   Email Kim Connell         Edit/Delete Post 
FYI to you all... I found some cool VHS and DVDs of intermission trailers for sale on eBay... check it out! Maybe I'll get my hands on one of those. They are super cool!

Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 14, 2003 05:40 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
How cool! The only time I ever saw an intermission thing was many years ago at the Sunnyside Drive-In. They were a "real" drive-in with cartoons before the show (and at intermission) and those cool animated intermission things! Damn you Pacific Theaters for closing them down! [Mad]

(When I went to the Sunnyside in March to take pictures for this site, the projection booth had been broken into and boarded up, so I expect whatever of that stuff was left there was stolen. [Mad] )

Eric Hooper

- posted May 14, 2003 09:37 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
I found my UA laserdiscs with their policy trailers on them on Ebay! These were laserdiscs that would show on the monitors in the lobbies with movie previews, interviews and such, and they also included the UA policy trailers on them. The discs I bought have the Magician and the Omega? (AKA Oddessy) trailers. I'd love to get copies of the UA Bladerunner? and the Hallway trailers sometime...then my UA collection will be complete. [Smile]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 14, 2003 03:25 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
You lucky thing! Well, since I haven't got a laserdisc player those probably wouldn't do me much good. [Smile] I only have one policy trailer, from Festival. I would LOVE to get some UA trailers, since those are the ones I really remember seeing as a kid. My favorite is the magician, but I also remember the hallway and one from the mid 80's that had words flying out towards the screen, ie: "If you notice any problems with temperature or projection, notify management IMMEDIATELY" and the word "Immediately" would fly out towards you. Anyone remember that one, or am I remembering it wrong? [Big Grin]

I also remember when the policy trailers would say "Smoking is allowed in lobby". Now, if they even mention smoking, they say something like "Smoking is not allowed within 1 mile of this building." [Smile]

Oh, and I HAVE seen the GCC Candy band, or one version of it. I saw some stills from it on a website, and that's the policy trailer that ran at that multiplex I visited in Orlando. Maybe I need to do a mystery theater posting on that one, there's nothing in the CT database with an address anywhere near where that theater was located...

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 15, 2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
We're trying to get our asses to Florida and do some research... but damn it's far away and I don't have much vacation time from my real job.

Regarding policy trailers; be sure to write me into your will for that Festival Trailer. I have a few extra Pacific Trailers and National Amusements Trailers if ya ever wanna trade... [Big Grin]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 15, 2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to Orlando sometime this year, so I will definately be taking pictures of any cinema I find. [Big Grin] When I was there in February of last year, I drove past where I remembered that GCC complex being, and I didn't see that or the half-demolished shopping center it was located in. (I know it was the right corner becuase the Maryland Fried Chicken that I always had to go to with my great-grandmother was still there.) Talking with my aunt who lives around the corner from there, she said it closed shortly after I went there (in 1990) but she couldn't remember what it was called or when it was torn down.

And we'll have to talk about that Festival trailer...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.