HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Bakersfield Bound

Author Topic: Bakersfield Bound
Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 24, 2003 01:41 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
If all goes according to plan, by this time tomorrow I will have seen a film in a single screen theater. I'm going to go and see "The Right Stuff" showing at the Fox theater tonight -- Cinematour folks will probably recognize me (even though I haven't got a picture here yet...) because I'll be the only one taking pictures of the lobby. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted April 24, 2003 06:26 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it amazing that you have never been to a single screen theatre. You'll enjoy it! Does California have a lack of single screen theatres? What happened to them? Were they closed? Were they twinned? In Connecticut we have, I believe 10 single screen theatres in operation. Granted, only 3 of them are traditional single screens showing traditional movies (of the "non-traditional" 2 are "adult" cinemas, 2 are in art museums, 1 is in a town hall, 1 is a drive-in, and 1 is in a college physics building.)

Bill Gabel

- posted April 24, 2003 10:36 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the big single screens have closed. The lucky ones have been turned into performing arts centers, Or twinned and tri-plexed. It depends on the location. Like Hollywood Blvd. in the 70's, it had 13 singles running. By the mid 80's they had 18
screens, because 3 locations added screens by building an extra building and one of them a large 2600 movie palace was tri-plexed
. One of the location dropped showing movies and became playhouse
. By the late 90's, Hollywood Blvd. had the Chinese 3,
El Capitan, Vine and the GCC Galaxy 6. The rest of the houses closed or were turned into other things. The great old movie palaces located on Broadway in downtown Los Angeles. No longer
show movies except special screenings. A few have turned into churches. As of 1950 California had 1164 singles screen walk-in
theatres. Los Angeles had 214 single screen theatres and San Francisco had 83 single screens and Fresno had 13 single screen houses. During the 70's thru the 80's chains dropped under performing single screens, unless they had a long term lease on the property. Westwood California has seven single screen first
run houses. But Mann Theatres that runs five of them as if it was one large 5 plex. Here in NYC all the great singles are
gone. With Radio City and the Beacon most running concerts.
The great ones in Times Square are gone.
  • The Loew's Capital
    Paramount
    The Roxy
    UA Rivoli
    Loew's State
    Criterion
    Warner

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 24, 2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
FRESNO has a lack of single screen theatres. The only remaining theatres are downtown and now churches. Everything else is Fresno is what I call "Shopping Center Fantastic" or a megaplex.

But I have a few available to me up here in the Bay Area. Century runs a few... although only one of them is TRULY a movie palace (Presidio, San Francisco). The other singles are products of the 60's -- but they're still open and wonderfully updated. FUN FUN DOMES.

And Daniel -- don't piss me off by taking too many pictures down in Bakersfield... ya gotta leave ME something to do when I drive through there again. [Wink]

Paul Linfesty

- posted April 24, 2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I guess then that my pics were no good then?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 24, 2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Hheheh -- your pics were fine. I just get competitive with the picture taking... it wasn't so long ago where I was one of the only California contributors. Now we have friends everywhere!!!

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 24, 2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, due to a mix up with renting a car I wasn't able to make this trip. [Frown] I am *extremely* disappointed!

Scott is right when he says FRESNO, where I have the misfortune of living, is short of single-screen theaters. All the ones we had were downtown (Apart from 2) and none of them show films anymore. The ones that are still open are churches (Hardys, Wilson) or they are performing arts things (Tower, Warnors) or they are demolished/abandoned/converted into something else.

I don't know what it is about this town, but people here just go ape-s**t over chain store things. Olive Garden opened, and out went the really good local Italian restaurant. Circuit City and Best Buy opened, there goes the locally owned electronic store. Comp USA opens, there goes the local computer shop. Same thing with cinemas, the opening of the UA Northgate 4 in 1974 spelled the end of the single-screeners downtown.

Dave Stambaugh

- posted April 24, 2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Dave Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Stambaugh         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting off-topic, but WHAT THE HELL IS IT WITH THE POPULARITY OF OLIVE GARDEN??? I just don't get it. The place is always overflowing, you have to wait to get in, your meal feels rushed, and the food isn't THAT great. Why are people so enthralled by a big chain restaurant like that? [Confused]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 24, 2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Olive Garden is DIGITAL! [Rolling on Floor Laughing] (Only Film-Tech participants will get that one!)

Paul ... your pics were sneak previewing on Film-Tech and I haven't had a chance to install them here yet since they came off sneak there.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 25, 2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since the Bakersfield thing didn't happen (I'm still bummed about it) I may go to Hanford on Monday. (Don't need to rent a car for that, since mine should make it that far)

I see there are 2 Cinemark locations there that don't have tours up yet -- do you need me to take pictures of these while I'm down there?? (I had wondered why there was a Cinemark calendar in the newsroom at my work. Well, at least I'll get to use the snack bar coupons that are on it!! [Big Grin] )

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 25, 2003 06:51 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure ... send in whatever photos you can. [Smile]

Eric Hooper

- posted April 25, 2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Speaking of SF single screen movie palaces, what about The Metro on Union Street? I find that more of a luxury movie palace than any other here in SF. BTW, they did "Sing A Long CHICAGO" at the Presidio last night and it was a BLAST!!!

Paul Linfesty

- posted April 25, 2003 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Daniel, you MISSED NOTHING

Believe it or not, THE RIGHT STUFF was projected in VIDEO from the FLIPPER DVD! AND they started on the wrong side and showed that for 10 minutes! I was sick and left early.

(I apologize for the earlier post. I was sick at home from work and sometimes get kinda down in the dumps emotionally when that happens!)

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 25, 2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, then maybe it's better I didn't go! I would've been a bit annoyed if I had seen *that* after driving all that way!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 26, 2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I forget about the Metro all the time -- but it IS a nice theatre, and they did a good job remodelling it.

The PRESIDIO did a sing-a-long??? Odd. I wish the GM had told me when I saw him last... I would've gone.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.