Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » 3 Blade shutters

Author Topic: 3 Blade shutters
Bob Meza
Tour Guide

- posted March 12, 2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Bob Meza   Email Bob Meza         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend owns a theatre and has a 35mm Simplex PR1014 with a 2k lamphouse. A friend of his said he saw a movie that used a 3 blade shutter, and the picture was the sharper than any picture he has ever seen. Now my friend wants to change out his shutter to a 3 blade. I know there will be light loss. What are the advantages of a 3 blade, and how much will he have to increase his 2k lamphouse output to make up for the loss?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 13, 2003 11:25 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
A three-blade shutter will significantly reduce any noticeable flicker on-screen. With a two-blade shutter, you see image on-screen at 48 Hz and with a three-blade shutter, that increases to 72 Hz.

A really good place for this question is over at the Film-Tech Forums. The people there will be able to tell you very quickly what is going to be necessary to make that blade change properly and how it will affect the amount of light hitting the screen.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.