CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » a thought on journalistic metaphors...

Author Topic: a thought on journalistic metaphors...
Roger Katz

- posted March 12, 2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
The next time I read an article that refers to a cinema opening by proclaiming, "The curtain rises on Theatre ABC," or an article about an old moviehouse closing that mourns, "Curtain closes on XYZ Cinemas," I'm going to puke all over my keyboard.

Enough with the damn curtain metaphors. 95% of cinemas these days don't even have curtains anymore.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 12, 2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget "The Last Picture Show at [insert cinema name here]" [Smile]

Shame on you for using a "teaser" topic. [Wink]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 12, 2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
"Well we couldn't be happier to be part of the XYZ development..."

[Cool]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 07, 2003 12:51 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, though, using the "curtain" metaphor is like saying "broken record". How many people under 25 even know what a (phonograph) record is??

(To relate this post to cinemas, the UA Towne Center in Clovis, Ca still has a curtain in the 2 larger auditoriums, but not the 6 smaller ones. Next time I see a film there I'll have to bring a camera along...)

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 09, 2003 11:05 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never made it to Clovis. Every time I'm in Fresno I end up having to get the heck somewhere else before I get a chance to check out Clovis.

I really wish my camera were working.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 09, 2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose we could extend the day trip to Stockton/Modesto a little farther south. I have finished the Fresno city directory compilation, after all.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 09, 2003 02:23 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- next weekend maybe.

I think I'm going to go to the San Jose Library on my way home on Friday and start sone San Jose research.

Which reminds me -- you need my AZ stuff...

We're really off topic here ain't we?

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 10, 2003 02:37 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
As it happens, I'm planning to go to the UA Towne Center to see "Phone Booth" tomorrow, so I'll stop and pick up some film for picture taking beforehand. I should've brought a camera a week ago when I went to see a late showing of "The Hunted" -- I had the whole auditorium to myself! Come to think of it, I didn't see another patron in the theater the whole time I was there!
I just got back from seeing that film, and I was able to get some pics of this theater. (The auditorium I was in didn't have a curtain, though...) As soon as I use up the rest of this roll I'll be passing them along. And to the worker who was outside changing posters -- sorry about scaring you with my camera flash!

[ April 11, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Daniel Fuentz ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.