CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » flyaway curved screens?

Author Topic: flyaway curved screens?
Grant Smith

- posted March 12, 2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Grant Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some theaters have a movie screen which will roll up into the ceiling so that the stage can also be used for live theatre. I assume that its impossible to do that with a curved screen.

So if you really wanted to have a movable curved screen, is it possible to hang the screen from a track in the ceiling and then have it held in place by a track in the floor? It could then roll out of the way sideways, as if it was a curtain.

Is something like this possible or has anything like it been done before?

There is always the Seattle Cinerama approach - shut the theater down for a couple days to dismantle and remove the screen and then shut it down again when you need to put it back in place. It's sounds like more effort than it's worth.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 12, 2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Curved screens (well, nowadays, most screens) have stabilizers that attach the frame to the front wall behind it. I think flying a curved screen would be difficult at best, even with a flyloft.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted March 16, 2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you only need to support the curve on the top and bottom you could easily build a flyable rectangle structure that fits around the screen and has the same depth as the curve. The biggest concern would be the weight, which would of course depend on the size of the screen.

Bob Allen

- posted May 01, 2003 01:03 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considering a slightly curved screen for my initial project which will be built in a former school "multi-purpose" room. The room has a full stage but no fly roof. So I plan to suspend the screen from the ceiling in front of the stage. When I want to fly it I plan to pull it up from the bottom with a couple of ceiling mounted motors that will pull the bottom toward the back of the auditorium and hold it against the ceiling. The speakers will be on wheels and can be rolled aside.

If that doesn't work I'll go with the roll-up. ACE tells me they can get one in the size I want (about 28 feet wide).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.