CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Cinematour goes to Pennsylvania!

Author Topic: Cinematour goes to Pennsylvania!
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 17, 2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Upcoming for June is a brief trip to Pittsburgh and nearby cities. Let us know if there are any theatres in the area you've been dying to see pictures of.

I'm excited: Carmike is working with us to get access to their theatres in the area. Having not grown up with a Carmike nearby all I have heard is people bad mouthing the theatres. So far though each of the Carmike's I've been to (Colorao Springs, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls) seem to be good solid little theatres. No bells and whistles but a nice little place to see a movie. In fact I've enjoyed watching movies at some of their theatres theatres w/o stadium seating, brings me back to the time when people actually sat near each other and not 20 feet away.

Anyway -- let us know which Pittsburgh area theatres need more internet exposure.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 17, 2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
LOWES VERSAILLES 20 INSIDE ANS OUT especially since its now an indoor swapmeet!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 17, 2011 04:58 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you can bet your ass we'll be going there. Especially since I work for a company that runs flea markets.

John J. Fink

- posted May 22, 2011 09:52 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a few former National Amusements in the area, I also think we don't have enough Destina Theatres sites up here (there's a 22-plexed that beat Loews to the opening date) - Destina is an odd company that just randomly sprung up about 10 years ago and hasn't opened/taken over a new theatre since.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 07, 2011 09:36 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Well good news and bad news:

We made it to the North Versailles 20. But the flea market was closed. We spent the weekend getting theatres in the outlying areas so by the time we got to the stuff closer to Pittsburgh it was Monday. Seeing as I work for a company that owns flea markets I had assumed that somebody would be onsite cleaning up from the day before and generally running maintenance. However I was wrong. So when you see the pictures, it will be of an amazingly large and impressive (yet fairly standard) Loews 20.

On the flip side, Destinta is less than impressive. The two theatres we visited appeared to be made from pre-fab warehouse buildings. While certainly large and spacious inside, from the short time I spent inside it seems that many of the amenities that they boasted 10 years ago are no longer being offered. I did not see any sort of dining options as the entire mezzanine of one theatre was appeared abandoned. The satellite snack bars were dismantled. Overall it looks like the building is in need of regular maintenance. My guess is it's one of those situations where it was fun to build the theatre, but not so much fun to maintain it. Also when it was built it was during that sweet spot when stadium seating was new and people would flock from all over just to see it. Now that it's commonplace, the attendance has probably spread back out to a natural radius.

Anyway -- I'm off to see X-Men.

Enjoy the photos when the day job permits them to be posted.

[Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.