CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » What part of the country needs to be explored? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What part of the country needs to be explored?
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 23, 2010 10:07 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
While it's clear Roger lives in the Northeast and I live in the West, is there a part of the country that you've been overly curious about? Or perhaps there is a theatre or theatres in areas already explored that you wish had more information...

If your answer is the part of the country you live in, chances are I'm just going to tell you to grab a camera and start taking photos!

Though seriously no matter the answer, chime in.

I'd like to spend some serious time in New Jersey to be honest. SOO many old multiplexes and so few photos. Every time I read stuff at Cinematreasures it frustrates me so much that with all the people who are clearly knowledgable about theatres in the area, few of them have submitted photos to us.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Allen

- posted August 23, 2010 07:43 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see info on small town and rural theatres especially in the Midwest. After all, if you've seen one multiplex you've seen them all.

Mark Campbell

- posted August 23, 2010 10:37 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Any part of the country that has an operating ex-GCC shadowbox screen.

Roger Katz

- posted August 24, 2010 04:31 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly our country, but I've always wanted to see more photos of the many theatres listed in Montreal. If no one else does it I'm just going to have to drive the 5+ hours to go there sometime.

Tom Mundell

- posted August 26, 2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If your answer is the part of the country you live in, chances are I'm just going to tell you to grab a camera and start taking photos!

d'oh! New Jersey definitely needs to be explored more. DC area too. All near where I live, so, ok, admittedly I have been slacking...I've never been able to get permission to take photos inside theaters though, half the time the manager has said no before I can even finish asking, so I (apparently) set the task aside for a bit for those who know what they're doing...

Oh, also any GCC theater and like Mark said especially any that still has a shadowbox.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 26, 2010 10:56 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Permission is a bitch sometimes, which is why you see so many lovely blurry photos from me. My favorite is when they have an open lobby so I walk in and sit down on a bench and then "play with this digital camera I just got while I wait for my friend to arrive" so when/if a manager tells me no photos are allowed I just play dumb.

There are some chains that are willing to work with us but usually once we identify them Adam and I are so happy to have permission that we fly out there and take pictures as soon as we can. I can't tell you how happy I was a few years back when Regal returned my calls and said they'd consider giving us access to all their theatres. A few hours later I was told we could take exterior pictures only, I was so crushed. The only time "permission" to take exterior pictures would be helpful is in situations where the mall security might run you off.

But I'd love to see exteriors of some of the NJ theatres. I keep meaning to plan an extra week when I visit my friends in Connecticut to drive down to Jersey and take pics. So many Multiplex Cinemas and not enough time. [Big Grin]

Mark Campbell

- posted August 26, 2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the resolution is low but I do all mine with the iphone. (I would be waiting for a friend fidgeting with my apps!). Have not used a regular camera since shooting the National I think. That night everyone was taking pictures, but other wise its too much of a pain.

Scott, have you ever thought about posting your photos under a pseudonym so you don't get busted since you are such a public figure?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 26, 2010 09:38 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not worried about it really. I try and use crappy photos as incentive for a company to give us permission. These photos are going to happen either way and if they want to have good photos circulating they can work with us. I even go so far as to allow them final say as to whether certain pics are made public or not.

John J. Fink

- posted August 27, 2010 05:12 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure NJ is worth exploring, although the Clearview Cinemas chain has a lot of what were independent theaters they consolidated, leaving the state with a mixed bag: it's locked in the 80's-90's with a few new screens. Similar to where I currently reside in Buffalo - which is all 70's-80's General Cinemas and late 90's era Regals (over generalizing, of coarse).

Back to NJ: Worth documenting on the AMC (Loews) side are probably Loews Wayne which was originally 6-theaters, they cut the largest in two, and eventually added 6 new theaters and a new lobby/entrance. Richfield Park, a former Loews flagship ignored by AMC is another site too that may be of interest (imagine the City View 8 from the current "new pictures" listing with two floors, it's of that vintage).

There are also 3 dead National Amusements sites, Hazlet which I tried to document on my iPhone which is now Rave. Back to the iPhone thing - the new iPhone is an improvement, just make sure you turn off flash unless you really want to call attention to yourself! Also judging by my stupid friends on facebook - everyone is posting a profile pic of them in 3-D glasses - you might be able to use this cultural phenomenon to your advantage - take a decoy with you....

Tom Mundell

- posted August 28, 2010 06:55 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried using my iPhone for pictures, but the pictures turn out far too dark and blurry to be useful (especially in the auditoriums where the lights are typically pretty dim).
quote:
Richfield Park, a former Loews flagship ignored by AMC is another site too that may be of interest (imagine the City View 8 from the current "new pictures" listing with two floors, it's of that vintage).
You mean the Ridgefield Park 12? Yes, definitely interesting theater! I've only seen movies in the very large and very small rooms on the first floor, never been on the second floor. Also it's a pain to get to (from the turnpike anyway; even more of a pain to get back on the turnpike)

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 28, 2010 09:53 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
iphone pics are pretty good in broad daylight and will do in a pinch.

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 29, 2010 12:21 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you might be able to use this cultural phenomenon to your advantage - take a decoy with you
I've utilized the "decoy" approach a few times; pretending I'm taking a picture of friends, then panning over to snap a picture of my true target. Aside from my friends (who aren't in to theatres) making fun of the fact that I'm more interested in documenting the theatre than our friendship, I've found the method useful in difficult situations. Management is usually more understanding of "social" picture taking than documentation of their facilities.

As for areas in need of further exploration. I've noticed the south east has some significant gaps.

Michael Coate

- posted September 08, 2010 09:17 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to spend some serious time in New Jersey to be honest. SOO many old multiplexes and so few photos. Every time I read stuff at Cinematreasures it frustrates me so much that with all the people who are clearly knowledgable about theatres in the area, few of them have submitted photos to us.
I have fairly recent (exterior) photos you're welcome to use of Amboy Multiplex Cinemas (Sayreville), Cinema 23 Fiveplex (Cedar Grove), Paramus Route 4 Tenplex (Paramus), and Route 17 Triplex (Paramus). E-mail me, Scott (or Adam), if interested.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 09, 2010 02:00 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I e-mailed you at the address provided. I'm like a Cinema Zombie. MORE BRAINS!!!! (Pictures)

Matthew Williams

- posted September 19, 2010 03:10 PM      Profile for Matthew Williams   Email Matthew Williams         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never worked up the nerve to take pictures of Philadelphia-area locations although I'm trying to. I'm open to any tips and tricks to get at least some interior (and even exterior) photos out. I'm using a Droid 1 as my camera right now, and it takes sort of decent 5 megapixel shots.

My first attempt was at the Rave Ritz Center multiplex in New Jersey and its new gaudy sign that really badly clashes with that location. I can send it to you if you want, just send me an e-mail.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.