CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » St. Louis Area Theatre Photos (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: St. Louis Area Theatre Photos
Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted January 02, 2007 03:51 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
"Cine" is just a stupid affectation of the abbreviated French (and Italian and Spanish) word "cinematographie" from which arose our English word and term "cinema". It is just another case of trying to make a place that shows flicks sound more elegant, and thus difference it in the public mind from the many other screening rooms like it. This is not to say that the word 'cinema' doesn't serve a useful purpose, for it does: It differentiates from a traditional 'theatre' with fully rigged stage, whether currently used or not. When 'cinema' first came into popular American use in the 1960s, it referred ro the stageless auditoria then being built to replace the movie palaces (and later morphed into the 'multiplex'), most all of which had full stages -- though rarely used by then. So, if you are in a "Cine" you are in a Cinema, if they are using the terms correctly.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted January 04, 2007 10:16 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my book yesterday and couldn't put it down. Seeing those shots of the Airway Drive-In in it's 1970's heyday darn near made me cry...especially the shots of the cars going into the orginal entrance. My earliest memory of going to the movies was going here to see "Jaws" in the summer of 1975. Full circle, yall, full circle!

Also nice to see that the book gave coverage to the unforgettable Wehrenberg jingle. It was also neat that they included a snippet of it in their 100th anniversary trailer that ran in their theatres last year.

All someone needs to do next is write a book detailing the full history of St. Louis area movie theatres - including the rise and fall of the Arthur & Mid-America chains and their theatres as well as General Cinema's presence in the area as well. As much as we St. Louis folks geek out about Weherenberg, you can't talk about the St. Louis cinema scene without mentioning the Esquire.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted January 04, 2007 03:27 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I assume the Ronnie's Drive-In is also covered extensively in that book, but how about the 66 Park-In? Did it also get good press?

You also can't talk about movies in St. Louis without bringing up the Fabulous Fox, which was run by Arthur and is the last of the great movie palaces still standing in STL. Fortunately, their website, this site, and this other one: Built St. Louis have many excellent photos.

And, on a more infamous note, the Olympic Drive-In and Fine Arts Theater have to be mentioned as well. A whole book could be written just about those two places alone!

I love talking about this stuff...

Chris Utley

- posted January 04, 2007 03:58 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie's & 66 - not to mention the North (later Twin) and South Twin - are extensively featured in the book in their glory days.

Speaking of the Olympic, it's incarnation as the Rock Road Drive-In is indeed listed in one of the appendix listing Wehrenberg's current and former theatres. Although the author's research is very spotty: he's got the Rock Road AND the St. Ann 4 Screen at the same address!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.