CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » St. Louis Area Theatre Photos (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: St. Louis Area Theatre Photos
Chris Utley

- posted June 14, 2006 03:05 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I noticed you've been uploading a bunch of St. Louis, MO area theatre photos on the site recently. Would you happen to have any photos of St. Louis area drive-in theatres? The Airway, 66 Park-In, Holiday and North Twin would be nice to see. If you have a picture of the old I-70 Drive-In, Kyle Muldrow will worship you for life! [bow down]

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 14, 2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
The only St. Louis drive-in photos I have are a couple of shots of the Airway marquee after the property was turned into a shopping center (and the marquee "restored" and put back in place backwards).

Norman Plant

- posted June 14, 2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Norman Plant   Email Norman Plant         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I have pictures of each of those and more (St Ann 4-Screen, Ronnies, 270, South Twin, Plaza). I can submit to the site or e-mail them directly to you, whichever works best for Adam. The pictures are from the mid-70's. (Some pictures are better than others)

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 15, 2006 12:54 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Please submit them to the newsroom and I'll get them online when I get back to town.

Chris Utley

- posted June 15, 2006 03:26 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Norman, are those the same shots you posted on Drive-Ins.Com a few years ago? Or are they a bit more detailed?

Kyle Muldrow

- posted June 19, 2006 07:56 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, what would really make me worship anyone for life is if they had any pictures of the old Cinema 4 Center in St. Charles...especially interior shots, but any picture of the theater of my youth would have me doing cartwheels.

Pics of the I-70 Drive-In, however, would bring a similar reaction. [Big Grin]

Norman Plant

- posted June 20, 2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Norman Plant   Email Norman Plant         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, those are the same ones. I took those back when I was in school with a 110 camera, thus the technology wasn't great. Those are all that I have. (If I knew then what I know now!)

Kyle, I have an off center shot of the Cinema Four in St Charles as well. I'll send it to the newsroom.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted June 20, 2006 09:41 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see...cartwheels and worshiping at the same time?

[Rolling on Floor Laughing] [bow down]

Thanks, Norman!! [Big Grin]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted December 26, 2006 05:00 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for Kyle, from the new book 100 Years of Reel Entertainment: How Wehrenberg Theatres Became the Longest-Running Picture Show in America.

One of these days, I'm going to have to ask someone at Wehrenberg if I can scan all of their photos for the site.

-

-

-

Chris Utley

- posted December 26, 2006 06:59 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, you're gonna make Kyle pass out in front of his computer!

Needless to say, I bought the book. Should be here anyday now!

[ December 29, 2006, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Chris Utley ]

Kyle Muldrow

- posted December 31, 2006 10:37 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Far from passing out, I was doing YEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAA!!!!'s and pumping my fists wildly...kinda freaked out the wife, but when she saw it was a movie theatre web site, she understood. [Uh-oh] [Big Grin]

Seriously, though, I was moved to tears. I don't know if I've mentioned this on this site, but Cinema 4 Center was THE place to watch movies in St. Charles during the 70s and early 80s, which were my school (and even college) years. This place fascinated me so much that, when my Mom went to stores in the shopping center where this theater was located, I would just walk over to Cinema 4 and look at the posters, the box office signs, and inside the doors for hours!! What can I say? This place is where my love of movies and theaters began. It broke my heart to come home from my last semester of graduate school (June 1988) and find the place had been closed. Seeing those pictures...especially those awesome interior shots...brought back so many memories of the many hours I spent at that theater. Thank you, Adam, for giving me a totally awesome moment!! [bow down] [bow down]

And I'm going to buy that book too!!!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Norman Plant

- posted January 01, 2007 01:30 PM      Profile for Norman Plant   Email Norman Plant         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the book for Christmas and I highly recommend it for anyone who grew up going to movies in St Louis. Being from the South Side, there are great memories for me, especially the Drive-In empire that Wehrenberg established around the area. The pictures of the Ronnies, South Twin, and 66 Park-In were fabulous. Great stories and pictures about the Michigan, Virginia, and Cinderella as well.

Chris Utley

- posted January 01, 2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
My book's still on the way, but I have to know one thing: Are there interior shots of the Creve Coeur Cinema? I saw the first 2 Star Wars flicks there but can't, for the life of me, remember any details about the interior.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 01, 2007 06:23 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are photos of Creve Coeur, but not the auditoriums.

Don't forget ... registered members can write a short review of the book here. Something like what Norman posted above works well.

Dan Roben

- posted January 01, 2007 08:56 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never set foot in a Wehrenberg and I even want to order this book, judging by the photos Adam posted earlier. Hard to justify that $50 price tag, though.

If only SRO Theaters, Seattle's homegrown cicuit, had lasted 100 years, maybe they would have published something like this, too. Ah, the memories...

BTW, kind of off topic, but it's stupid question time. What's with the "Cine" in Wehrenberg's theaters? Was it a cost-cutting move to drop the "ma" in their signage? Seriously, this has been bugging me for far too long, which is somewhat of a sad commentary on me, I suppose...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.