CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Question for Scott Neff involving The Covell in Modesto,CA.

Author Topic: Question for Scott Neff involving The Covell in Modesto,CA.
Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted February 26, 2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy this website. I am from Stockton, California. I had a question for Scott Neff? I noticed that when you visited Modesto, and took pictures of the now demolished Covell Theatre, You were able to take pictures of Covell's interior. How were you able to gain entry? Back in 1997, I had wanted to take pictures of the inside of the Covell, but couldn't find out who owned it. Too bad they tore it down.

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 28, 2006 09:00 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Friends of mine had been approached by the building owner to see if they would be interested / able to restore the theatre and make it a viable success had the building been redeveloped. Luckily I tagged along at the time and got what few pictures I did.

I was just starting to take pictures of theatres I went to at the time, and had I known now exactly how involved I was going to get with documenting theatres, I would have taken MANY MANY more of the Covell and about 100 other theatres I'd been to in that time period.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted February 28, 2006 10:20 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott, Thanks for your response.I wasn't sure if you got permission or not. When I was 18 years old back in 1980, I traveled to Downtown Modesto to take pictures. I took some exteriors of the Covell, the State(then known as Cine Mexico) and the old Strand. I remember taking pictures of the Strand, when a Teen Boy(about 14 or 15 years old.),approached me and told me that a side exit door was unlocked and I could sneak in to take pictures of the interior. I decided NOT to do it as I was afraid that I could get arrested for trespassing or that kid would mug me inside the theatre. Sometimes I do regret not going in since I heard that it was a huge Movie Palace. A few years later,in 1984, someone trespassed and set the building on fire which completely gutted the building. It is too bad, as it should have been this Theatre Building restored for the public instead of the much smaller and less Majestic,State Theatre. Scott, Is it common for Cinematour fans to trespass in vacant Movie Palaces just to take pictures?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted February 28, 2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I plead the Fifth.

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted March 01, 2006 08:44 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam is not the only one to have to plead the Fifth Amendment about this. I was kicked out of one theater during restoration in '76 and another during demolition in 1970. What I rue are the opportunities I passed by, and now those palaces are gone. Even today one palace remains here that I've not been in and has been boarded-up for 20 years, but it is dangerous there, and with failing health it is no longer an option for me; I hope younger fellows can get into the VENETIAN before it collapeses. C'est la vie.

Roger Katz

- posted March 01, 2006 07:58 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it common for Cinematour fans to trespass in vacant Movie Palaces just to take pictures?
Look at my photos of theatres in Connecticut (Newington, Theatre East, Plaza, Capitol, Elm, Palace, and many drive-ins) and you will see just how common it is. I am also into Urban Exploration so movie theatres aren't the only abandoned places I get into.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 12, 2006 09:34 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I never trespass. Obviously those doors are open because the building owner or manager is inside. I'm simply looking for them to seek permission to take more formal photos at a later date.

I take informal photos at that time so I don't forget to try contacting them again. [Wink]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted March 14, 2006 01:20 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
But don't you just hate it when you go through every corner of the building and you can't seem to locate the owner? Those people do have an uncanny knack of hiding when you are doing your best to find them! [Big Grin]

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted March 14, 2006 08:59 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I remember one incident involving the old(Well actually not that old) Sherwood Theater in Stockton near the Sherwood Mall.Well in 1989, They announced plans to demolish the vacant theater(they closed the year before)for an expansion of the Mall.Well I was a gentleman(Clean shaven,Short hair with a suit on) and I went to the Mall's main office to request to take pictures of the interior of the Sherwood Theater. Not only did they turn my request down, but they threatened to call the police with tresspassing charges if I attempted to take pictures of the exterior of the theater.Ha on them, I actually took exterior shots 2 weeks earlier.Has anyone else experienced similar situations?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 15, 2006 12:15 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - we get people threatening to call the cops if we take exterior shots all the time. I hate having to explain that the street outside their theatre is public property...

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted March 15, 2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Scott, The Sherwood Theater was behind the Mall, in the middle of the parking lot. The sidewalk was actually too far away. This was not a typical Downtown theater but a suburban theater built in 1968. It was originally operated by ABC Theatres, later for the longest time by Plitt Theatres then at the end by Festival Enterprises.In order to take good pictures of the Sherwood Theater with a cheap camera, you had to be on their property.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.