CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Photographing theatre auditoriums

Author Topic: Photographing theatre auditoriums
Jack Coursey

- posted April 13, 2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Jack Coursey   Email Jack Coursey         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Olympus Camedia digital camera with 4.0 mega pixels. I have gotten some great shots of exteriors and lobbies of theatres, but am having problems with capturing the auditoriums. Even when a house manage consents to turn the “cleaning lights” on, the images still come out dark. I have tried both the auto and the night portrait settings on the camera, but the results are indistinguishable. Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper

- posted April 14, 2005 12:51 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
This site says that the camera has Exposure Compensation. Set it at +2 stops & try it from there.

You will probably need to set the camera down during exposure, or use a tripod. There are nice tabletop camera tripods (short, about 4" to 6" tall) available which will sit on the armrest of a seat, but many if available at local stores are very flimsy & not very good. I saw in Wal-Mart the other day in the tools section a small bubble level or laser level that included a small tripod much like a tabletop tripod. The tripod lookd very good, & at the price for the whole shebang (about $20), it would be worth it for the tripod alone (if the screw fits the tripod mount on the bottom of a camera).

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 14, 2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I always use the manual shutter settings on my camera that allows for up to 16 seconds open. Scott is using my old camera that did the same thing and he's getting a new camera soon that will allow for up to 64 seconds. Brad has a new Nikon D-series that he paid *way* too much for. [Smile]

Brad Miller

- posted April 14, 2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
Did not! Besides it takes kick ass pictures. [thumbs up]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 14, 2005 10:35 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait for my new camera. I'm so excited. 6 megapixels... 64 second shutter. Now I'm gonna have to find some abandoned theatres to sneak into and take pictures by candlelight.

In case you're wondering... it's this Kodak DX-7630 The official camera of Cinematour. [Razz]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted April 15, 2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, we all know you're too chicken to sneak into abandoned theaters... [Big Grin]

Matt Lutthans

- posted April 06, 2008 04:48 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a nifty doohicky for my camera that consists of a spring-loaded batter clamp, a short bendable arm, and a tripod thread. It attaches on the back of a theatre chair, and presto---- tripod!

I typically do this:
1. If shooting with any houselights on, it's still pretty dark. I set the exposure compensation for +2 EV and shoot. A typical exposure time will be between probably .1 and 4 seconds.
2. If shooting during the movie, I get pretty good results shooting at 30 second exposure at f 2.8 and 800 speed film. Even 400 will work. Since I'm trying to lap up as much light as possible, the longer the exposure time, the better. If you look at the shot I took of the inside of the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, that was a 3-minute exposure at f8 on 400 speed print film, using an old Agfa Isolette 120 camera that I was playing with that weekend. It turned out pretty well for a 50 year old camera in a dark room!

At some point, I'm sure I'll switch over to digital for interiors, but I have a nice wide-angle lens on my Canon A-1,and I've had the camera so long that I have no problem putting it together in total darkness, which comes in handy. (I typically sneak it in with the lens removed so there's no tell-tale bulge in my coat pocket.) I have switched to a Minolta point-and-shoot digital for exteriors, well-lit lobbies, etc.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 30, 2008 11:14 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
iPhone

Scott Polidore

- posted July 01, 2008 06:52 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
iphone? TWO megapixels...............

John J. Fink

- posted July 12, 2008 08:38 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I use my iPhone because its always with me. If you have a lot of light it works pretty well (see my pics of Edgewater Multiplex), in low light conditions - not so much (East Village and AMC Loews Plaza 8). I'm using my first generation iPhone so I think its only a 1 Megapixel Camera. Documenting actual auditoriums is rough in low light cases, so thanks for the tips.

But, with the Plaza 8 closing sometime in the next year, its certainly better to take a few shots that may be crude than to let the theater close without having documented it.

Scott Polidore

- posted July 13, 2008 12:34 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
nikon cameras usually work very well. my dad's a camera nut,so he knows his buisness.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.