CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Research and photo trip to Seattle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Research and photo trip to Seattle
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 09, 2005 02:06 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
We will be in the Seattle area April 30 and May 1. Plans are sketchy and time is limited, but if you'd like us to stop by and photograph your theater, let me know!

|  IP: Logged

Dave Felthous

- posted April 09, 2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
You're coming to rainy Seattle! I'd like to tag along with you, or at least meet you. I can't let you in to my theater (cpmpany "policy"), although I smuggled Matt Lutthans in a while back and he has some awesome photos of a very successful stadium retrofit at the Regal Alderwood Stadium 7. Get in touch, OK? My e-mail is Doom0216@hotmail.com

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 10, 2005 03:38 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like fun.

And we can always stop by and hope you and everybody else aren't looking when we setup a tripod and take beautiful photos of your theatre. [Wink]

Hopefully Adam has already e-mailed you.

Dan Roben

- posted April 10, 2005 11:46 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be available one or both days if you would like a guided tour of Seattle's finest. Considering your tight schedule and our atrocious traffic and strange street patterns, you'll need all the help you can get!

Although I'm not in "the biz," I know a couple managers/projectionists of two of the local Landmark theaters, so I might be able to arrange a tour for you. You can email me at danroben@aol.com if you are interested.

And Scott, there is an abondoned circa 1973 GCC about a mile away from my house that is just begging to be photographed! It's missing the familiar Cinema I II III signage, but it's still unmistakably a GCC.

By the way, Dave isn't just towing the company line regarding his theater's retrofit. Regal did a fantastic job. Unfortunately, there's tough new competition in the neighborhood with the new Loews 16 Plex that just opened about a week ago.

I've always wanted to meet the both of you. I hope we can make this happen.

William Hooper

- posted April 11, 2005 02:28 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're coming to rainy Seattle!
It's not like he'll need a snorkel!

Seattle climate

Rain, when other precipitation is factored out:
Average Rainfall of 100 US Cities (at bottom of page)

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 24, 2005 05:56 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I decide to spend $40 on a ferry ticket, can anyone confirm if these theaters are still open and/or standing?

• Orcas Island: Eastsound: Orcas Island Drive-In (Closed)
  • Orcas Island: Eastsound: Sea View Theatre
  • San Juan Island: Friday Harbor: Royal Theater
It looks like I should take the ferry from Anacortes to Orca Island to drive the 11 miles from the terminal to Eastsound. Then I could leave the car on Orca and take the inter-island to Friday Harbor, where I can walk to the theater there. Then inter-island back to Orca for the car.
Should I then continue to Sidney or return to Anacortes? There's definitely stuff on Vancouver Island to be seen.
We already have LOTS of photos from Seattle, so I'm not sure how much time we want to spend there. I'm all for going to Vancouver, eh? before heading South and East out of town.

Dan Roben

- posted April 24, 2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,

I can't confirm if the theaters you mentioned are still open or standing. As for going to Vancouver Island, I'm not so sure you can go there from Orcas Island (Google the Washington State Ferry site to make sure).

There are many MORE opportunities to take photos in Seattle, but Vancouver would be a worthy substitute. If you go there, be sure and check out the Captitol 6 on Granville to see 1970's era decor at its finest! This theater is about to close, so your timing couldn't be better. There are several other theaters along Granville (all of them closed except the Granville 7, sadly) so there are plenty of opportunities for photos.

Also, in case you didn't know, you may want to bring your passport. Although it's not required (yet), a passport helps speed your way into and out of Canada. And be prepared to wait at the border, both coming and going.

Dave Felthous

- posted April 24, 2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost certain that the Royal in Friday Harbor is still running. It's had several names, Royal being the latest. I had relatives there for a long time but they've been gone for a couple of years. I believe they used to have some kind of festival, or at least played indies and arthouse stuff along with mainstream films. That's a small but diverse population -- rich older retirees, dot.com's who didn't lose their shirts, and the usual "hippies"/artisans who are attracted to remote "paradises."

Dave Felthous

- posted April 25, 2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
To verify whether the Royal is still operating, call (306) 378-4455. That's the number on the Cinematour website.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted April 27, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
In case Adam hasn't contacted any of you -- everybody should give me an e-mail sneff@cinematour.com -- at the very least we can get together for a late dinner or something on Friday.

-Scott-

Ken Layton

- posted April 27, 2005 10:20 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
You should stop in at the Rodeo 3 drive-in next to the Bremerton National Airport. Then you can check out all the new goodies Jack Ondracek has installed at the theater including Digital Sound!

Dave Felthous

- posted May 02, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I had dinner in Seattle y'day with Adam and Scott.

[ May 02, 2005, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Eric Hooper

- posted May 10, 2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just in Seattle this weekend. Did you guys get pics of the Neptune Theatre? That is an awesome theatre!

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 02, 2007 09:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott and I are planning on returning to Seattle on June 15-17. Last time, we spent more time in Canada than we did in Seattle.

I'm bringing a new camera to break in, so I'm hoping that we get into some great places.

If you have any contacts in the right places or strings you can pull, please email Scott or the newsroom so that he can arrange the itinerary while I work on updating our area information.

I don't know how far north we'll be getting, as I'd like to concentrate on the metro area, but I'd like to visit the Rodeo Drive-In in Port Orchard and maybe drive down to Centralia/Chehalis if we can get in touch with someone at Opera Pacifica. If anyone has contact info for the District Manager of the Landmark Theatres there, please forward that along.

Ken Layton

- posted June 03, 2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the contact info for Opera Pacifica:
Bob Corl (360-458-7477) or email vocaldirector@operapacifica.org
URL: www.operapacifica.org Be sure to mention I sent you if you talk to Bob. They have not updated any theater photos on their site and lots of interior work has been done. Don't forget the new McMenamins Olympic Club (brew pub) theater just one block down the street from the Fox (same street, but on the opposite side). Nobody has pictures of that place yet. Watch your head if you go into the booth there. Ceiling is very low. In fact the platter column has been sawed off to clear the ceiling. The steps going up to the booth are a hazzard to so be careful as it's easy to fall down the stairs there.

My friend Daryl Lund owns & operates both the Chehalis Theater and the Yardbirds Stadium Cinema 3 (both in Chehalis about a mile from each other). I have keys to both theater complexes. If you wish to photograph the theater interiors you'll need to contact Daryl. He's out of town until July 1st, but I have his cell phone number (PM me if you want it).

The Rodeo 3 drive-in theater has been listed as being in 3 different cities over the years: Port Orchard, Bremerton, and Gorst. It's acually out in the county (Kitsap County) on State Highway 3 just a half mile north of the Bremerton National Airport. I know Jack Ondracek there very well. You'll be very impressed with picture quality and sound quality there....it's nothing short of EXCELLENT! Use caution when driving there as the theater entrance sneaks up on you suddenly on the highway.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.