CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » What counts as a cinema? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What counts as a cinema?
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 08, 2005 11:34 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
While I don't think we need to LIST them -- I'd love to get a section going on some of the theatres from old prisons/mental hospitals.

There's that one website with the tours of the abandonded hospitals, and it features the old theatre of the facility and it's just downright creeeepy.

If I remember/find the name of the site, I'll post a link.

|  IP: Logged

George Gates

- posted August 09, 2005 01:56 PM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
Would you list legitimate theatres on a movie theatre site, or restrict it to those places with a projection booth which were opened for the "business of showing movies", which I think is the key delineator?

Philip Borgnes

- posted August 11, 2005 09:18 AM      Profile for Philip Borgnes   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Borgnes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I just joined and started reading the posts and wanted to make a quick question/comment about what constitutes a cinema. I'm mainly interested in portable and outdoor cinemas and wanted to find out how that would fit into the "cinema" definition? What about the popularity of summer outdoor film series here in the US, Australia and in Europe? The UK for example has a funding scheme to encourage and promote mobile cinemas to travel to areas that don't have, or can't support a hard-top cinema.

Thanks, and looking forward to your thoughts.
Philip

George Gates

- posted August 11, 2005 11:10 AM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
During WWII, Pacific Island bases had theatres set up for the G.I.s, some with stages for USO shows. Of course we've all seen temporary setups with a 16 mm projector showing a film on a sheet strung up between the trees too. I've even heard of Boy Scout camps that do outdoor movies! Every cruise ship has a theatre where movies can be shown, as well as stage shows. And even airlines have a big screen in the front for those cross-country flights. It leads to the thought that there could be a new category for airplane theatres. Might the Douglas DC 9 be the very first? Which plane has the most seats?
(there are a few people who add theatres to the Cinema Treasures site, who would relish the prospect of being the very first to discover a previously forgotten theatre, no matter whether it really was a part of the movie theatre industry, so long as people once watched a film there.)

Ron Newman

- posted August 12, 2005 05:49 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're interested in US military cinemas, check out Reel Time Theaters, a 'chain' run by the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES).

There may be a similar list for the Navy and the Marines, but I haven't found it.

Paul P. Meyers

- posted August 17, 2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema is an interesting word in that in has multiple meanings. For example yesterday I went to the cinema (building) to watch cinema (a film/movie/motion picture). Later I went out to the lobby to discuss cinema (the art/aesthetics).

The word cinema is a shortening of Cinematograph , an early film projecting devise invented and presented by the Lumiere Bros. in 1895. The first part "cinema" is from the Greek "kinema" a word for motion.

A new addition is the word microcinema, refering to a small space where films are shown (or most proably video is projected). Baltimores MicroCine Fest is an example. A MicroCinema attached to a MicroBrewery would be ideal.

Ron Keillor

- posted August 18, 2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor         Edit/Delete Post 
The Easter Seal Auditorium at the Vancouver General Hospital would fit into this category. It was mainly by the hospital, but in the 50's and 60's local film societies with medical professionals on their executives were able to get access to it.
Built c.1950 with cup holders installed - for sputum cups.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted August 31, 2005 12:18 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few from a theater in an old academic building:

That's not white fabric on the chairs, it's DUST! The building has been unused since the 70's, so that's like 30 years of dust on those seats!
 -

There is a projection booth on the balcony, but I couldn't get into it because the doors by the booth access were locked/stuck, and it was VERY dark in there. Parts of the floor in the balcony are rotten, so I didn't want to go stumbling around in the dark to get to the other side of the balcony and possibly go THROUGH the balcony.

-

quote:
A new addition is the word microcinema, refering to a small space where films are shown
This could apply to a lot of the 80's UA multiplexes! [LOL] [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.