CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » how do i add photos ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: how do i add photos ?
James Hulsey

- posted November 20, 2004 01:38 PM      Profile for James Hulsey   Author's Homepage   Email James Hulsey         Edit/Delete Post 
I have added about 20 photos of theaters here in southern Idaho by sending them vea the news room in the past, but this year I have travailed Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington and northern Idaho taking lots of theater pics along the way , this time when I sent the photos to the News room they where never added?

What gives?

James Hulsey

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 20, 2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Incoming email is being worked on. I have about 3000 emails in my inbox to take care of in addition to about 10,000 photos of my own to add.

I used to spend about 60 hours a week working on Cinematour in addition to my 80+ hours at work. Things have changed and I don't have as much time to spend on Cinematour and I'm getting things done as time permits.

James Hulsey

- posted November 20, 2004 08:35 PM      Profile for James Hulsey   Author's Homepage   Email James Hulsey         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Adam, wow looks like you have a lot of work to do, I will hold off on posting the second group of photos till you catch up a bit :-)

Good Luck
Thanks
james

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted November 21, 2004 06:53 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
"Things have changed" Adam sayes, and I wonder if it is not a new girl friend. We understand, Adam. Best Wishes, since any woman demands a LOT of time from a guy. May the rewards be worth it.

Seriously, with 10,000 photos and 3000 E-mails, you are overtaxed, so I wonder if it would not be helpful to you AND to the many people who visit the site to have a P.O. Box address where they can send CDs of photos for you to review. I noticed that no 'Contact Us' lines appear anywhere on the site anymore, and now I understand why, but maybe listing only a P.O. Box address might deter the frivilous, and still help you post serious submissions if you specificed that any submissions MUST be in electronic form to your P.O. Box. Yes, a decent sized box (at least #3 size) would cost you about $100 a year, but it is protective of your privacy and you no longer get mail that has been rained upon, nor folded or crumpled to fit into a mailbox. And if you can't visit a box for a few days, the mail can pile up in a large box for a while. Incidentally, if you list the box owner as something other than an individual, they can and will divulge your street address to any one who inquires, but if you list it under a person's name, they are prohibited from divulging that unless by court order. Just a thought. Jim

Norman Plant

- posted November 22, 2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Norman Plant   Email Norman Plant         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could help. I have tons of pics to share as well, but I'll wait until you get caught up.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 22, 2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I made it through about 200 emails this weekend, but now I'm on the road again until Thursday.

Ken Roe

- posted November 25, 2004 03:22 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
I too will 'hold fire' on submitting further additions to you until you have caught up a bit. There are 3 Australian States with numerous tours and pics that I submitted in the summer still to go online, plus some more London, UK ones.

I am still out and about with my camera on these chilly winter days..so let us know when you are ready for more.

Sean Doerr

- posted November 25, 2004 04:45 PM      Profile for Sean Doerr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean Doerr         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam let me know if there is any way I can help out on the site, I know HTML and can use FTP and a little MySQL.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 25, 2004 10:07 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I just built the biggest damn tour page ever. It took almost 7 hours to work up the photos and get them on the site. I sure hope Eric's happy! [Razz]

[bow down] San Francisco Alexandria Theatre 287 photos taken closing day.

William Hooper

- posted November 25, 2004 10:47 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
I see the supporting structure for the vertical sign was enclosed, likely not just to reduce the messiness of exposed girders, but to also conform with the west coast "tower" idea that became associated with theaters. Maybe they could have done something thematic like another column with an Egyptian capital, but likely the pylon-look was what they were looking for to match the established "tower" look.

I've always been sort of baffled by the whole predominantly west coast "tower" thing. In some of the theaters, it's more integrated in a sort of pre-Googie style, but later it's just that every theatre must have a blind tower. To me they look like buildings with big handles sticking out of them; you want to just pick it up by the handle & shake it like a New Year's nosiemaker.

Brad Miller

- posted November 25, 2004 10:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's the booth pictures!!!!! [oogle]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 25, 2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
The booth pictures are restricted to the research team until they preview on Film-Tech. But you knew that already.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 25, 2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are great pics, glad to see them online. We were at that theatre taking those forever!!!

Adam -- are you planning on adding a link to the next picture whilst looking at the enlarged photo in a tour?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 26, 2004 02:07 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Eventually.

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted November 26, 2004 05:52 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
William Hooper says above: "pre-Googie style"; pray tell, Bill, what style is that?? I have never seen that in an architectural dictionary!

As to TOWERS, they are not confined to California or the West by any means; they are found throughout the nation and with many theatres/cinemas even named that, as any search of the cinemas on this site will confirm! Of course, the use of that name was also psycholigical in implying that such place 'towered' above its competitors, but the name TOWER and the use of anything resembling one was purely for the sake of advertising, and successful advertising seeks to make something stand out from its competitors, and even if a theatre does not have a competitor right next door, it still must seek to stand out from among the many other signs of shops on a street to be sure to be seen. Theatres are well aware that much of their attendance is not planned by patrons, but is spontaneous, so they want to catch that moment of decision of the patron as he drives or walks by and make him see a theatre's offerings and decide upon that one as opposed to other entertainments. In the early years, the towers were usually integral to the architecture and were thus thematic, but today they are often just appendages of the sign maker's attraction board, which itself often does not even qualify as a true marquee. I, for one, like towers, but unfortunately, they also make good lightning rods! [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.