Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » Book Reviews now online

Author Topic: Book Reviews now online
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 04, 2004 12:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just completed the base programming to support members writing reviews for the books listed on the site. (Click "Books" above.)

I wrote most of it in the car on the way to work yesterday (carpool) and it's based on a set of scripts that Kyle wrote for me for another website, so please let me know if you run across any issues.

There will be additional features added in the future, such as rating a book without having to write a full review, and displaying the average user rating.

Feel free to post any suggestions here.

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted November 05, 2004 03:36 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a review and it works. Pretty cool. I didn't even know there *was* a books section of this website until you mentioned it here!

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted November 05, 2004 05:16 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps someone will clue me in as to what one does to actually post a review. I saw Roger's comment on the page for the title CINEMA TREASURES, but not there nor any other title I clicked on did a link appear inviting a review. I used both my Netscape and Explorer browsers and logged into both even though the cookies recognized me, and still no button links to a 'write a review' page. Are there gremlins awork here? I fear so. [Eek!]

Also, what if one has a title not listed on the BOOKS page or at Amazon.com, but has other ordering information? Is it still possible to insert a Review?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 05, 2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
On the details page for each book listing, you should see a link that says "I have read this book and would like to contribute a review!" at the very bottom of the page. On the Cinema Treasures page, it should be under Roger's review.

If you have a book that needs to be added to the list, send me the details of the book and I'll add it. Then you can add a review. I need the following information: Author, title, publisher (indicate "author" if it's self-published), publisher's city/state, year published, Amazon ASIN (if available), book's official website (if available), and a synopsis (if available).

I'll probably add a "Recent Book Reviews" to the home page later today when I get home.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 05, 2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Average rating and home page stuff has been completed.

For a sample of a book not available through normal channels, see Indianapolis Theatres from A to Z.

I think I deserve lunch now. [Smile]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 08, 2004 10:48 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too early in the morning to think this much.

It looks like I've finally fixed the problem. I had a script set up so that if you didn't have advanced user privileges on the site, it wouldn't pick up your user information for your session cookie. Oops!

Now everyone should see "Welcome back, Username!" at the top of every main site page if you are logged into the forum. (And following the course of logic, you should see the link on the bookshelf pages to add a review if you are logged in.)

Thanks for helping me work out the problem, Jim!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.