CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » What camera do you use to photograph cinemas?

Author Topic: What camera do you use to photograph cinemas?
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 09, 2003 11:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my digital camera. It's a Kodak Easyshare DX4900 with a resolution of 4.0 megapixels. I've taken over 5600 photos with it since I bought it last July.

-

My favorite feature is the adjustable shutter. I can go into a theater and take photos without the flash and no one even knows until it appears on the site.

Or if I'm on the road at, say 10:00 pm, and I run across a drive-in theater that's been closed for a few years on the edge of town with very little ambient light, I can set the shutter for 16 seconds, hold my breath and shoot ...

-

Too bad I didn't have a tripod with me at the time. That's not the sun in the background ... it's a street light down the road and the red streak on the left is from car taillights. (This is the McHenry Outdoor Theater in McHenry, Illinois. The tour should show up on the front page later this week, with the rest of the photos.)

And it's also too bad that Kodak doesn't even make this damn camera any more. Now their best camera is something with a lower resolution and a shutter that is only adjustable to something like four seconds. [Frown] And they've switched all of their cameras from Compact Flash to Smart Media (or some such thing).

I guess I'll have to snag a couple of these while they're still available on E-Bay, since I've broken part of the battery door.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller

- posted June 13, 2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
Why the Casio QV-3000EX, of course! Any camera with "EX" has just GOT to be good. [Wink]

clickey here

You can look at the "digital photos" on this site for examples of this camera.

http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net

Ken Roe

- posted June 21, 2003 05:04 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Well while waiting for my flight to LA to be called last Tuesday, I decided to bite the bullet and went Duty Free shopping at Heathrow Airport London. I bought a Minolta Dimage XT digital camera. Just taken a few shots at the moment, but results look good. I will let you know more and you will see some examples when I get to start taking pics of cinemas while I am in LA, Chicago, New York and maybe Providence RI

Evans A Criswell

- posted October 03, 2003 09:02 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a new Sony DSC-F717 (2560 by 1920 resolution) and it's an order of magnitude better than my old Kodak DC-120. I've been taking pictures of theatre buildings the past couple of weeks with the new Sony and I've been pleased with it. I just need to learn all the adjustments and how to make the best of different photographing conditions.

Ron Keillor

- posted December 05, 2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not gone digital yet. I just had good results using a 20-year old Nikon FG with Fuji Superia film ASA1600 using the automatic setting. Stand in the lobby or auditorium, take a good guess at where the lens is pointing out your bag, and click. No flash to bother anyone. Lenses were a 28mm f2.8 or a 50mm f1.8

Scott Norwood

- posted December 07, 2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I use film as well. Most of my theatre pics have been taken with either a Minolta X-700 (which got stolen) or a Nikon F3 (which I bought to replace it). I usually use 100asa Kodak color negative film or 100asa Ektachrome slide film. I like slides better, but they're harder to get good scans from with my cheapo scanner.

I recently (well, a few months ago) acquired a 4x5 Speed Graphic (the standard newspaper photographer camera from about 1940 until about 1960), and have taken a few pics of my favorite theatres with it. I love this camera. It's a bit expensive to shoot everything in 4x5, but worthwhile for the best-looking theatres. I use Tri-X B&W negative in 4x5; I haven't tried color with it (and, given the prices that I've seen, I probably won't).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.