CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinematour Discussion   » I swear, registering isn't that hard!

Author Topic: I swear, registering isn't that hard!
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 20, 2003 09:46 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we've reached one hundred requests for registration and thirty of those tries have been declined because people didn't follow what I though were pretty simple instructions.

Yeah, there's a lot of words there because of the Forum FAQ and all, but I put the important part in red.

quote:

In order to maintain the integrity of the forum, no one under the age of 16 may register and participate in the Cinematour Forum. Anonymous posting and handles will not be permitted. Users who wish to participate must register with their full name, city and state.

Here is an example of a correctly completed registration:

Login name: John Smith
Publicly displayed name: (leave this field blank)
Email address: jsmith@wahoo.org

Daryl even did some code hacking for me to remove the confusing "publicly displayed name" field out of the equation.

But the login name is the part that everyone is screwing up. It's really very simple: Type your name just like you normally would. John Smith. Just like that. Capital letters and spaces and all. If you've got an abbreviation, it's C. W. Jones (or whatever).

As much as we'd love to have a million people participating here, there simply is no aliasing and the moderator can't edit the login name, so if it's not done correctly, you'll get declined without a second thought. (That, my friends was a run-on sentence.)

And please make sure your email address works. If the email bounces, you automatically get declined and deleted. We don't use your email for anything around here except system alerts, and you can set up your account so that your email doesn't even get displayed and you can set up your account to receive private messages through the board software (or not).

Thanks for your help!

|  IP: Logged

Ken Roe

- posted May 20, 2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adam, for sorting out my application (third time attempt) and yes I was one who couldn't get my own name correct! [Confused]

Good to see the efficiency of the operation of the site (as the pic I sent for my Profile came up so quickly) [Big Grin]

I'm looking forward to posting some positive input into the Forums and of course helping add to the site (and dare I say correct some errors).

Just to let you all know, I will be in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City during June/July (seeking out theatres of course) [Smile]

For the record and to introduce myself I am:-
Founder Member/Life Member: Cinema Theatre Association (UK)
Member: The Theatres Trust (UK)
Member: Mercia Cinema Society (UK)
Member: Theatre Historical Society of America (USA)
Member: League of Historic American Theatres (USA)
Member: Cinema Theatre Historical Society, Victoria (Australia)
Member: The Australian Cinema and Theatre Society (Australia)

Ken
London, UK

Brad Miller

- posted May 20, 2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 30 out of 100? That's incredible. I gave up on self-registration a long time ago when it was more like 98 people out of 100 that couldn't get it right.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted May 20, 2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I think I actually wrote that registration 'checking' software, I'm sure I did! Now if I could only remember what theatre I left my notebook in I could upload the new software.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.